What's new

Will I ever be a daily shaver?

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I've always been a twice a week cart shaver. Otherwise, I rip my hair out and cut my face. I love to be smooth more than ever now that I switched to DE shaving. I want to feel that way everyday, but I can't seem to get over the skin irritation and nicks and cuts.

I'm not an expert, since my skin is pretty much problem free ... but a lot is in the prep. The easier it is to cut your hair, the less stress there is on your facial skin.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I've always been a twice a week cart shaver. Otherwise, I rip my hair out and cut my face. I love to be smooth more than ever now that I switched to DE shaving. I want to feel that way everyday, but I can't seem to get over the skin irritation and nicks and cuts.

As your technique improves, so will your perspective on how much you want to shave. While doing this, you will find another blade you think is sharper or smoother, another razor you find is more efficient, and another cream or soap which provides more cushion or glide.

If you stick with it, the evolution of the quality of your shave will pretty much guarantee you will be shaving more and not less.

KeenDogg

Thanks Okie. I did find it to be a little better this time than the last time I tried to shave every other day. I will stick to it and keep trying.

Many daily shavers became that way because, at some time or another, it was absolutely required of them, almost no matter what the effects. Military service is one such environment. Only with a physician's profile, and almost exclusively for shaving bumps, could one be excused from being clean-shaven at the start of the day. In old days retail and restaurant jobs, as well as many others involving contact with the public, also required daily shaving. Those who struggled were advised to try any of several treatments.
I do not see if you have already tried pre-shave oil yet. That does go a long way. If you wish to just try it first without spending a lot of money, you can try about 3 or 4 drops of olive oil on the wet face, then apply soap or cream. As you have likely read elsewhere, DE takes a very light touch with the weight of the razor doing the work. You can maximize the effect by guiding the razor by the very tip of the handle. Fresh blades help. Some people with irritation issues take a lesser shave on most or all days, which would be one pass WTG. If you have not done that already, you may try that just for troubleshooting purposes. It may come to pass that three days a week is what works for you. If so, that would be nearly average, even if you prefer getting smooth every day.

KeenDogg

Thanks Retro. I will try that olive oil for starters. I may just have to be realistic that with the skin type I have, I may just be a bi weekly shaver!

I'm coming to the realization that I may need to wait a day between shaves - but why should that stop me?

Every day (and even sometimes at night) - if I feel I shouldn't be laying steel on the skin - I still take myself through the entire process...shower, pre-shave glycerin and cream, then I whip up a lather and apply it two or three times, letting it sit a few minutes in between. I even practice my touch-up pass, squeezing lather into the left hand and rubbing it through. (Am I crazy?)

It fast tracks my bowl and face lathering skills, and dangitall I will enjoy as much as I can even if it means I won't actually be shaving. I also find it is improving my skin by keeping it clean, exfoliated and moisturized every single day.

Things will get better as your technique improves, but for now back way off on the pressure. Pressure is the main cause of skin problems. Just rest the razor against your skin and only use enough pressure to keep your razor from skipping over your beard. It might take a few shaves to get the hang of it, but once you get it down you'll be fine, and you'll see most of those problems gone.

Things will get better as your technique improves, but for now back way off on the pressure. Pressure is the main cause of skin problems. Just rest the razor against your skin and only use enough pressure to keep your razor from skipping over your beard. It might take a few shaves to get the hang of it, but once you get it down you'll be fine, and you'll see most of those problems gone.
+1. And if you don't have to shave every day, don't press it.

Something to also consider is your end-game result. Due to improved technique, weepers and irritation is rare for me these days. If I do get them, it's always during the 3rd pass (ATG). Sticking with a WTG/XTG shave is virtually a 100% irritation-free CCS shave.....of course I will have to shave everyday else I get noticeable stubble.

+1

Patience and practice and no pressure. Good luck!

As stated above, prep and technique are major considerations, but don't forget the after care in your routine. I don't know what the totality of your shave routine, but the after shaving ritual can be just as important to prevent (or treat) irritation as the prep work.

Based on your skin type you can probably find something in your post routine that can help. Cold water, after shave lotion (maybe non-alcoholic) or balm, alum block or witch hazel? Not sure what you are using, but maybe one of them will help.

i was in the same boat OP. It took 6 months, but I can daily shave if I have to. I prefer 5 days a week. Experimenting with new technique, soaps, etc means less daily shaves.

I was in the same boat some time ago, even with cartridge razor shaving. Even lapsed to electric razor for a while but was never satisfied with results. Found this forum, discovered what I'd been doing wrong for so many years, returned to DE shaving and never looked back.

Good advice in all of the above. Take your time, good preparation and hydration are key factors, use little or no razor pressure, let the razor's weight do the work. Also experiment with different blades, not all blade types may suit your skin or razor. Maybe try a mild razor, they don't all shave the same.

If you haven't already, have a look at Mantic59's tuition videos on Youtube for lathering and shave technique.

Practice and patience, you'll get there as I did, now it's a daily treat.

Good luck,
Chris

Thanks. I think I am just getting caught up in this new found love!

As we all are....try to relax and give it time. Remember it's not a contest - just do whatever feels right for you. With practice and patience the shaves will improve of their own accord. You'll get there! :thumbup1:

Exactly!

I agree with most. Be patient - give yourself time. If you have a coarse beard, a two day will almost always be better than a one day shave. Hydrate more than you think is necessary, map your beard carefully, watch your angle, take notes on your razor/blade results (then throw the notes out after you've been DE shaving for six months and start anew). Pressure, or lack of, is important but so is blade angle. If you only shave with one hand, be mindful of how you deal with each side of your face. In my experience, an overly shallow angle with certain blades (based on grind, thickness/thiness, and hone) will exacerbate problems.

Top Bottom