What's new

Cash - does anybody still use it?

I can't believe that I swipe my card for paltry purchases like coffee. But you know, it is more convenient and quicker plus no making change. I would have laughed at the idea five years ago and now I find myself using cash as little as possible. Anyone else?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I still try to use cash on purchases under about $50-$60. I find that it helps to deter me from making unnecessary impulse purchases, or buying in excess (i.e. a night at the bar). I like to have good record of my bank accounts, so using cash also helps to making things easier by not having so many insignificant purchases to go over when I receive my bank statements or credit card bills.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I don't use cash or write checks anymore. Somehow, when I've got a few bills in my wallet, it makes me feel like a rebel.

I use cash regularly for purchases of up to $20-30. I go to a few small restaurants that don't take credit or debit cards (the BEST donut shop in the city takes cash or check only for example). That being said, I write about one check a year.

As I think about it the second best donut shop only takes cash or check too. That seems a strange coincidence.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I like to keep $10 - 20 in my wallet, but I don't sweat it if I have none on me.

This is me lately. I used to be a cash guy all the way. I would keep just enough in the bank to pay the bills. My piggy bank was getting fed daily.
But lately I've succumbed to the electronic lifestyle. Apple Pay is pretty darn cool and convenient.

I like to keep a little cash on me though. Never know when ya might need it. Girl Scout cookies, or something of the like.

Other than 20-40 bucks it's all debit card.

I spend just as much though, weather I have cash only or using the debit card. Makes no difference. It's gone before I know I have it.

I have fully embraced the modern technological approach to monetary transactions, although I have not ventured into Apple pay. Direct deposit, auto bill pay, and plastic. My finances are this nebulous exchange of vapor that just wafts back and forth.

As much as my career and my bills are all handled electronicaly, there's nothing quite like cash. Untraceable and accepted anywhere (though I've seen some pushback against it for accounting reasons). I try to pay local businesses in cash for small purchases so they don't have to pay their card processor, and you never know when you find a deal where cash is the only thing they accept (like garage sales, corner pizza places, and the like).

Only problem I find is breaking larger bills.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I have fully embraced the modern technological approach to monetary transactions, although I have not ventured into Apple pay. Direct deposit, auto bill pay, and plastic. My finances are this nebulous exchange of vapor that just wafts back and forth.

It's funny when you really get down to brass tacks with "money" it's just a simple placement of the decimal point that defines wealth. One tiny dot on the computer screen.

Actually...maybe it's the comma?

Not me, I hate change and prefer collecting miles, points, and cash back. I charged $0.14 once because it was my balance after a gift card and I didn't want to break a $20.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
IMO using the debit card is exactly like using cash. It comes straight from your bank account.

Using a credit card though is entirely different. Typically they charge interest. So in my view "charging" a small purchase, say for a coffee, just doesn't make sense considering the interest you'll pay. The $4.00 coffee may end up costing you $4.72 in the long run. If you have a low interest rate all the better, or if you pay off your credit card monthly...but so few people actually do.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Amen. Perhaps in the States if we had 10 dollar or 5 dollar coins my thinking would change. You can't really buy anything with a dollar bill, or a nickel, dime; or quarter.

I remember reading something a long time ago that if we got rid of the dollar bill and used the $1.00 coin instead it would save millions and millions annually.

Top Bottom