What's new

Proud new owner of a Damaskeene

I picked this up at a little antique shop on my way home from work today. I'm usually not to worried about getting the cases and extras, but it seemed reasonably priced and I keep reading that the Damaskeene are the best of the 1912's. And I love my ER 1912 so why not try the original. I will clean it up tonight and see if there is any way it could possibly be better than the Ever Ready. :lol::biggrin1:

Attachments

• $DSCF7593.jpg
    $DSCF7593.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 83
  • $DSCF7594.jpg
    $DSCF7594.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 82
  • $DSCF7603.jpg
    $DSCF7603.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 84
  • $DSCF7606.jpg
    $DSCF7606.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 83
  • $DSCF7608.jpg
    $DSCF7608.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 84
... and proud you should be! That is a lovely set! Despite those old blades being unusable, do keep them as they represent a really nice slice of history to keep with the razor. Now, pop a fresh GEM into it and get shaving!

I kind of like old thing that look old so it will probably stay this way but who knows maybe someday.

Aye, I have a Closed Comb Damaskeene 1912 and I find it to be a Superior shaver compared to the so called New Improved more Modern 1912s.....:w00t:

Billy

Hi guy, thanks for the replies.

I did my first shave with it this morning, I was a little rushed for time but wanted to give it a try anyway. I loaded up a new Gem SS, did two passes both face and head. I was being extra careful I know these blades can be a little the first time. I didn't have any problems with nicks or cuts just 2 very small weeper (turner the lather pink for a second then was gone), but only ended up with a SAS. I was running late so I figured good enough.

After I got home from work I needed a shower (working in a hot dirty attic), so I figured I would give it another shot. I figured the problem was the angle. The angle between the head and handle is much sharper than on my Ever Ready, I really had to hold the handle close to my face. After two passes I'm DFS bordering on BBS, but I felt like the angle was much harder to find and keep than the ER. I also felt like I wouldn't bite me if I tried to make it. Just wondering if the Damaskeene is considered to be milder than the Ever Ready? I thought I heard it was the other way around.

Just wondering if the Damaskeene is considered to be milder than the Ever Ready? I thought I heard it was the other way around.

I think the the Damaskeene is SUPPOSE to be more aggressive. BUT my straight head Damaskeene and my ER1912 are pretty much the exact same razor. I do enjoy my silver ER-1912 better then my two Damaskeene's. I also have a very curved head Damaskeene, and hate the angle.

Alright I beat John to one!:lol: Now I just need to get a Clog Pruf, a Gem Jr., a Micromatic OC, a band razor, Wilkinsons Empire, and start a start an injector collection.:thumbup1: Anything I missed?

Irani7 I've seen pics of yours at least I think its the one your talking about it looks very similar to mine. It seems they are a lot of versions of this I thought I checked one off the list, but I guess I only started a sub-list. I don't know if I would go as far as saying I hate the angle, but I do very much prefer the angle on my Ever Ready. I'm almost tempted to stick it in a vice and open it up a little, but I am going to keep using it and try to work on my technique before seriously thinking about modifying it.

Last edited:
Just a quick pic after clean up.
Thanks for the views and replies.

Attachments

• $DSCF7641.jpg
    $DSCF7641.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 32
Top Bottom