What's new

Shaving Creams That You Are Done With

Balea - very cheap, very bad

Personally I am not a Nivea Sensitive cream fan as well - leaves my face a bit itchy.

TOBS Sandalwood. I'd had my fill of the scent by the time I worked through the tub. No knock on its performance, and I wasn't put off enough to stop using it -- just not one I'll buy again with all that's out there.

+1. I don't dislike it in the slightest but there are so many other creams I'll be buying before I'd get TOBS Sandalwood again.

Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood would be another. It's a good performing cream for me and the scent is pleasant enough, but it would probably be the last but one I'd use out of all of my creams. I've only used it twice in the last year, if that!

Ted Baker Ted's Grooming Rooms Shave Cream. It comes in a tube with a pump dispenser and lathers well with a brush. You would need to use a brush to get the best out of this in my opinion. This one is definitely the last out of all my shaving creams that I would use because the citrusy scent isn't memorable in the slightest.

Proraso blue - not that it was bad, but because it always left behind a greasy film that made my neck and face break out. I have oily skin, so the additional greasiness was no good for me.

Body Shop Maca Root - works good but too drying for me, or maybe it's an allergy. Leaves my face feeling itchy even if I use a balm. Lots of people like it though so still worth trying to see if you like it.
+1 ... the performance is there, but I can't tolerate that smell. What good is it if I can't breathe while I'm shaving?

Crabtree & Evelyn West Indian Lime - it's not bad during the shave but leaves me a little itchy/irritated afterward. It's not really a dryness. It does have a nice fresh lime scent to it but maybe I'm a bit sensitive to it?
C&E products, for the most part, give me a terrific shave but I don't like their aromas. I wish they would tone down their current lines so that the smell isn't so overwhelming, or better yet, come out with a line that is unscented.

Late to this party. And I discover I disagree with the majority of it! :lol:

If you're allergic, or if the scent is annoying to you, I get it. Plenty of fish in the sea. But . . .

One gent complains of Arko's scent. Worth noting that Arko creams smell nothing like the Arko soap, to which you were referring.

One gent can't lather TOBS. Ye gods. This cream just wants to make nice lather for you.

Musgo Real - one of the best performing creams out there. Slicker'n you-know-what.

Gunked up razors and brushes. Never seen it, either with the products mentioned or not. Sounds like lather without enough water incorporated. Try more.

Finally,

Good reading... I'm just starting out so I haven't tried many but at least I can cross off a few (or save them for later on).

As a newbie, this is great information! Will help direct my first purchase.

Careful, gents. YMMV and all that. :w00t:

Last edited:
Also, if everything keeps getting gunk'd up everyday, it may mean you just need to rinse out better? I know there are thicker creams, and yes Proraso is a little 'filmy', but I personally have never had anything gunk up.

Old Spice cream, does nothing for me at all.
Real shaving company, I found it to be a poor performer, has been given to my wife and she prefers it to her canned stuff.

I'm a little bored with Proraso Green/C.O. Bigelow.

I like it, but I've got a tube and a half of it left (C.O. Bigelow), in addition to my shave soaps and some AoS Sandalwood cream. I'd rather go through my cream samples that I got and see if there are any that I dislike, and then maybe return to the Green Stuff.

Resurrecting . .

I'm surprised to hear myself say this, but I think I am finally done with Castle Forbes Lime. The consistency makes me crazy; having to pretty much claw it out of the jar is annoying, and the intense scent was refreshing at one point, but it has become cloying to me now.

Went back to GFT though. I don't know why I didn't pick up on the slickness and glide before, but now it's a heavy rotation cream.

Interesting to read through thoughts from 3 years ago. Three years ago I was bored with Proraso green, now it’s part of my permanent rotation. I tried a tub of ToBS Sandalwood and agree with others—too floral for a Sandalwood scent. I also didn’t think it came close to AoS, which is also in my rotation.

Done with..
AOS: Quality plummeted after they got bought
LaToja: Stick and Cream
Palmolive: Stick and Cream
Speick
Stone Cottage

Only two cream survivors..
William Neumann & Co Old Fashioned Soda
AdP

The new croaps like WK and GD are such amazing performers and cream-like that I have really moved in that direction after being Cream-only for quite a few years..

Tabac Cream. Didn't hate it, just found my TOBS Almond and Speick superior when these 3 were my rotation. Now I have added l'Occitane Cade and Taconic Bay Rum to my rotation and find those superior as well.

Tabac cream for me doesn't build a great lather. It does lather ok and provides a good shave, there are just other creams out there that I like better. Maybe it's my technique but Tabac cream to me is not on the same level as their soap.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Agree on Tabac cream. I bought a tube years ago and never found it a great performer, couldn't wait to finish it. Also Musgo Real. Pretty much the same issues as Tabac, and the scent of Musgo original literally made me nauseous.

Interesting to read through thoughts from 3 years ago. Three years ago I was bored with Proraso green, now it’s part of my permanent rotation. I tried a tub of ToBS Sandalwood and agree with others—too floral for a Sandalwood scent. I also didn’t think it came close to AoS, which is also in my rotation.
I agree !
Proraso is hard to stay away from. I think so many start with it that they move on as their technique gets better. Going back to it people find how wonderful it really is. At least that happened to me.

TOBS Sandalwood is the only cream I really dislike the scent of.

Agree on Tabac cream. I bought a tube years ago and never found it a great performer, couldn't wait to finish it. Also Musgo Real. Pretty much the same issues as Tabac, and the scent of Musgo original literally made me nauseous.

Spot on (but the scents didn't really bother me). Based on these two experiences, I was turned off any cream that comes in a tube. Not logical, just emotional.

Lavanda, it's way too thick to use. Clogs up my razor and drain.
Musgo Real, awesome cream but I can't justify the insane prices
Proraso Blue, I hate the scent
Omega, it separates and the plastic tube falls apart easily
Speick, I had trouble getting good lather from the cream, but love the soap stick

I have enough creams that I don't need to buy any more any time soon (but probably will anyway). If I want to save money, Wegmans has KMF for $6 and it is often on sale for $4. There are also some creams that I wouldn't pay the import price but if I had access to them in their home country at local price I would get it. Most of the Indian creams fall into this category. I can't pay $8 for creams that cost 30 rupees in India. They do have an excellent amount of menthol though. Some Italians might feel the same way about paying $10 for Proraso when it's like 2 Euros in Italy.

I have discovered many skin allergies. They cause either a burning, irritation, or many weepers in places that I never get weepers.

Palmolive cream left me with a burning sensation. The Palmolive stick is a favorite of mine.

Kiss My Face. Was not slick enough for me.

Cella shave soap. Irritating. It took awhile, but once I was sensitized to it, it became unusable.

Stirling was always a favorite, but something in it, probably almond oil, is beginning to cause me problems. I really hate this because I love Stirling and have many of their soaps.

The jury is out on La Toja cream.

Now Proraso green cream is excellent, as is TOBS Avocado. Both give me flawless, irritation and weeper-free shaves. PAAs soaps also are flawless for me. Arko, Tabac, La Toja stick, Wilkinson stick, and Mama Bear's also have been great for me.

Top Bottom