What's new

Proraso - Cream, or Soap?

I like the soap with my boar brush. It has a lot of backbone and loads soaps like a dream. I like the creams when using a softer brush like my travel brush. Both soap and cream perform well for me.

I use the C.O. Bigelow cream (made by Prorasso, isn't it?) for travel and have a tub of Prorasso Green at home. Besides the cream being a little easier to lather, once a proper lather is whipped up with either product, I cannot tell the difference.

Two days ago I picked up the Proraso white soap on a weak-willed impulse at my local pharmacy.
Still have to see how the mileage is in the long run, but first impression was good.
Works perfectly well with their White pre-shave cream.

If I find it lacking, I am prepared to superlather it with some TOBS cream to punch it up a notch.

I have been using the red soap since the beginning and love it. Super lather and great shave. Good smell too. I recently got a tube of red cream and have a hard time lathering it. I watched videos and read posts. Still not happening. I use an almond size amount and don't get nearly enough lather. Should I use a bunch more. What should I try next? More product? As of now the soap wins hands down.

Yes, I double that amount. The use more product line definitely applies here.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have the proraso green soap tub. I like the scent, but can't force myself to like the lather it makes for its drying and zero after shave softness. Shaves are very uncomfortable. I hear good things about the cream though.

Agree with this. Been using that same for Pro Green three days straight, and while the cooling effect is nice, the TOBS cream I was using last week just gives better shaves. YMMV

AA

Try the Palmolive instead. Much better performance imho over the Proraso. Including the Italian mentholated version.

This, I find Palmolive to be slicker than Proraso and the menthol version has much more of a menthol kick then Proraso Green. With Proraso I need to keep adding water to my lather bowl while I shave, if not the lather just disappears. The Palmolive cream dosen't require me to baby it, it just work better.

Last edited:
proxy.php

I haven't used the red croap, but I do really like the red cream. My experience is that creams are somewhat easier to lather and create less of a mess (I'm comparing to the White croap here). Either way, you probably can't go wrong. I'd say if you're leaning cream, stick with the cream.

I use both and sometimes after working up a scuttle of lather from the soap dish, I add a dollop of cream just to richen it up a little.

I have used both the red cream and soap with pretty similar performance. The cream is probably slightly easier to lather but if you load enough of the soap onto your brush it isn't really any more of a chore. I also got a tube of green cream and like it a lot. I really like the chill from the menthol. You can't go wrong with either the soap or cream though with Proraso. They both perform equally great.

I'm looking to buy some of the Proraso Red to see how the Sandalwood scent is, but I'm debating now - soap, or cream? It's the same price...Is there really much of a difference? I'm leaning toward the cream, but if someone has a reason why I should go with the soap instead, I'm open to your opinion. :)
I use both with glycerin to make a prorasso sandalwood über lather! It is fantastic!!!

Top Bottom