What's new

Proraso - Cream, or Soap?

I'm looking to buy some of the Proraso Red to see how the Sandalwood scent is, but I'm debating now - soap, or cream? It's the same price...Is there really much of a difference? I'm leaning toward the cream, but if someone has a reason why I should go with the soap instead, I'm open to your opinion. :)

There is a difference!
From there, you can go both ways. I personally prefer the soap/croap (it's really a soft soap, a "croap".) The cream seems to "stick" to my face in some way, it's harder to wash off after shaving, and I don't like the feeling it leaves on my face. However, I register that many shavers prefer the cream and find it easier to lather. I guess YMMV.

Edit: I have not used the red Proraso. I have used the blue and green cream, as well as green and white soap.

Last edited:
I prefer soaps to creams. But I like Proraso's creams better than croaps. In fact, I think the red cream is the only Proraso product I really enjoy using.

My experience is with Proraso green. I've not tried the red. However, based on my green experience, I would choose the cream over the soap. I find it is easier to work, and provides a richer lather.

The only Proraso line I have in both the cream and soap versions is the Green (I also have the Blue cream and the White soap), and there is really very little difference between them.

Try the Palmolive instead. Much better performance imho over the Proraso. Including the Italian mentholated version.

Well I have both and the only difference, IMO is that cream lathers more easily for obvious reasons. Also cream ends faster, and that's not always a bad thing.

In any case I'm toward a grain more for soaps.

I find proraso red cream and soap to be really similar.
With the soap, it's really thirsty and can take more water and keeps generating lather.
with the cream, I will use generous amount of product and go easy on the water.
Once dialed in, similar nice scent, slickness and post shave feel.
its a great value either way, so easy to experiment and see what works best for you!

$image.jpg

$image.jpg

As with all the Proraso scents I buy both for comparison and I haven't been disappointed with any of them.

I've been "restricted" on buying any new soaps/creams - apparently, 4 different Col Conk soaps, 3 tubes of Proraso/Co Bigelow, a can of AOS Sandalwood cream, and a tube of Pacific Shaving Co. Caffeinated Cream are too many for my countertop. LOL

Maybe I should see about trading a tube of the CO Bigelow for some aftershave - my Nivea's almost gone. :) LOL

I've been "restricted" on buying any new soaps/creams - apparently, 4 different Col Conk soaps, 3 tubes of Proraso/Co Bigelow, a can of AOS Sandalwood cream, and a tube of Pacific Shaving Co. Caffeinated Cream are too many for my countertop. LOL

Of course that's too many for your countertop. That's why you devote a closet to the rest of your collection.

#rookiemistakes :wink:

Of course that's too many for your countertop. That's why you devote a closet to the rest of your collection.

#rookiemistakes :wink:

I actually bought a 3 drawer organizer from Target to put everything in, and it makes it look SOOOO much less cluttered. But I'm still on restriction because I keep wanting to buy more soaps and creams. Lol

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have been using the red soap since the beginning and love it. Super lather and great shave. Good smell too. I recently got a tube of red cream and have a hard time lathering it. I watched videos and read posts. Still not happening. I use an almond size amount and don't get nearly enough lather. Should I use a bunch more. What should I try next? More product? As of now the soap wins hands down.

I have used the Green and Blue creams, didn't have a problem lathering either.
The Blue is my favorite cream I have on hand right now, great performance and skin feel after.
I just ordered a tub of Red, going to try it out this week.

I have the proraso green soap tub. I like the scent, but can't force myself to like the lather it makes for its drying and zero after shave softness. Shaves are very uncomfortable. I hear good things about the cream though.

Top Bottom