What's new

Looking For Non-Iron "Casual Dress" Pants.

This is my first thread on this sub-forum, though I have been lurking for a bit... Thank you in advance for your ideas.

I am looking for some kind of non-iron "casual dress" pants. I'm looking for something I can take out of the dryer ready to wear, just like I would a pair of jeans. No ironing.

These wouldn't be for the workplace, or anywhere where actually "dressy" clothes are required. I have that covered, at least to my satisfaction. It's just that, even when I'm just hanging around, I find myself reaching for collared/buttoned shirts, turtlenecks, sport jackets - usually brown - and brown "casual dress" shoes. While I have jeans that work well with this kind of look, and love the taper and fit of a good pair of boot cut jeans, I want to look into pants that are "a step up" from jeans but maintain this casual profile and vibe. (Look at the covers of some albums from the early-mid 60s, and you'll see lots of guys who are sort of casually over-dressed... :001_cool:)

So, if you're still reading, what am I looking for? Chinos? Something else? And where shall I search for such a thing?

Look for a chino in your style. I found a brand recently called Life Khaki that I found at TJ Maxx that fits in this category. They aren't jeans, however they have a more modern jean cut which I really like. Slightly higher inseam The welted back pockets step them up from a pair of jeans too. They are a cotton poly blend, so they come straight out of the dryer with no need for an iron as long as you don't let them sit overnight.

I can actually get away with these at work since my managers "uniform" is slacks, company logo Cintas Oxford and boots.

here is the link

http://www.amazon.com/Haggar-Khaki-...im_193_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1N4P5M11KXZJ83KWSMNJ3

I like the look of those BR chinos too.

Not sure if this fits what you're looking for, but perhaps something like some Dickie's or a type of pant you can get at a sporting goods store?

Look for a chino in your style. I found a brand recently called Life Khaki that I found at TJ Maxx that fits in this category. They aren't jeans, however they have a more modern jean cut which I really like. Slightly higher inseam The welted back pockets step them up from a pair of jeans too. They are a cotton poly blend, so they come straight out of the dryer with no need for an iron as long as you don't let them sit overnight.

I can actually get away with these at work since my managers "uniform" is slacks, company logo Cintas Oxford and boots.

here is the link

http://www.amazon.com/Haggar-Khaki-...im_193_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1N4P5M11KXZJ83KWSMNJ3

I like the look of those BR chinos too.

So I wasn't too far off thinking "chinos"... I pushed the button on a pair of the ones you linked to, since I had a gift card for that site laying around, and I liked what I saw.

I'll be looking at some of the other suggestions too, and it looks like hunting some stores is also a possibility...

So I wasn't too far off thinking "chinos"... I pushed the button on a pair of the ones you linked to, since I had a gift card for that site laying around, and I liked what I saw.

I'll be looking at some of the other suggestions too, and it looks like hunting some stores is also a possibility...

I think you should be happy with those. They are definitely on the more casual end of the spectrum of Chinos. It's always good to have a few different styles to choose from.

If you don't mind spending a little $$, the company Gustin, who make custom jeans also make Chinos. Usually in the $80-110 range. I have a pair of jeans from them and will probably never buy from anywhere else for my "nice" jeans. I'm sure their Chinos offer the same high quality workmanship that is in their jeans.

I have become a big fan of the Jack Donnely "hybrid" fit khakis. Similar to the Bill's Khakis, but with a trimmer fit. The Jos A Banks Traveller line is good as well

I don't know how popular it is in the USA, but you could try Uniqlo. Its hands down the biggest place Japanese people buy cloths from.

They have very hot humid summers and uniqlo have some great "coolbiz" cloths for the summer.

Most are made of modern blended or synthetic material and many of the shirts and slacks come straight out of the washer ready to go.

If you have the chance go check them out. Very comfortable and simple styles.

RE: cool biz. Imagine it's post 3/11, there's a massive shortage of electricity due to power plants shutting down, so your government declares that AC is an unnecessary luxury. Companies laxed their dress codes allowing people to wear short sleeves and even polo shirts to work. It was heaven and started a revolution in business wear in Japan.

I've never been let down with a pair of Haggar dress pants. Out the dryer, up to the waist and out the door.
Depending on where you live, there's an outlet store not too far over the Canadian border at Niagara....prices are great.

I have had good luck with Nordstrom's house brand 'smart press.' These meet your criteria IMO and are available in lots of options.

Chinos are definitely the right track. You can find them with a little thicker or a little thinner material for summer or winter. Some have pockets and stitching like jeans while others are more like khakis. With the right fit, they can fit in with a t-shirt and casual shoes all the way up to button ups and blazers. I'd look for pants that are either straight or tailored legs and a hem at the ankle. Also go for 100% cotton and avoid any polyester like the plague.

I haven't invested real money into chinos yet (just have some cheap ones), but I hear great things about Bonobo, Banana, and J Crew. I also haven't tried any non-iron cotton so I can't say how well it works, but if you hang up the pants right out of the drier and after wearing them, you can get several wears without too many wrinkles. I'm sure a little wrinkle remover or a little steam would help as well.

I really like them in a medium khaki and a deep blue. Haven't branched out into much else, but I've been staring at the Bonobo site for a while and really like a lot of their colors.

Top Bottom