What's new

RAD? What RAD?1

I'm not sure what got into me, but I decided to inventory my single edge razors today. Keep in mind that is not an accumulation over many years - I was introduced to single edge razors barely a year ago.

I have 86 of them. :blink:

It breaks down as follows:

33 Gem
23 Ever-Ready
9 Valet Auto-Strop
7 Schick Injector
4 non-Schick Injector
5 Kampfe/Star
2 Treet
2 Rolls
1 Wilkinson Sword Empire

$se_razors2.jpg

Oh, almost forgot - I have one more on the way.

--Bob

What, no Heljestrand safety?! Nothing to throw away again, _ever_, and those lovely, labeled with the day of the week, blades...I've seen them on-line in English, Swedish, French and Spanish...or was it Italian? (It's not that I can't tell them apart, I just can't remember. Maybe there are both?)

I'm not sure what got into me, but I decided to inventory my single edge razors today. Keep in mind that is not an accumulation over many years - I was introduced to single edge razors barely a year ago.

I have 86 of them. :blink:

It breaks down as follows:

33 Gem
23 Ever-Ready
9 Valet Auto-Strop
7 Schick Injector
4 non-Schick Injector
5 Kampfe/Star
2 Treet
2 Rolls
1 Wilkinson Sword Empire

Oh, almost forgot - I have one more on the way.

--Bob

How is your DE inventory looking?

I have 26 DE razors (9 modern and 16 vintage Gillettes) sitting in a box. Since discovering single edge razors I've lost interest in them, and I cannot remember the last time I shaved with one.

I have most of the common Gillettes, and was getting frustrated seeing some of the less common ones that I wanted (New Improved, open comb TTO's) going for ridiculous prices.

I was also unhappy with the overall quality of the early Gillettes. "Has the usual hairline cracks in the handle."

None of my SE's have cracks in the handles or anywhere else. :thumbup1:

--Bob

What, no Heljestrand safety?! Nothing to throw away again, _ever_, and those lovely, labeled with the day of the week, blades...I've seen them on-line in English, Swedish, French and Spanish...or was it Italian? (It's not that I can't tell them apart, I just can't remember. Maybe there are both?)

I've bid on a few of them, and I definitely want a set.

In addition to exhibiting a high degree of craftsmanship, the Heljestrand safeties use blades that are the same as those used by the Kampfe and Gem lather catchers. Since pristine wedge blades are hard to come by, this makes them even more desirable.

--Bob

That's some collection Bob....You have took a plunge into the Rabbit Hole for sure....:w00t:

I hear what you are saying about DEs.....My brother sent me up a Lovely New Improved Gillette from London the other day....I had a shave with it yesterday....The last time I used a DE was over 30 years ago....

I was quickly reminded why I hated them so much in youth....My whiskers were being ripped out by their roots cause the blades so thin and flexing under the strain of going against the grain.....:001_cool:

Billy

Last edited:
WOW! Now I don't feel so bad about buying 5 razors in the last 5 days. Only 2 were SE though but they are my first 2 SEs. An Ever Ready 1912 and a Bullet Tip.

That's an awesome collection Bob, it makes me feel relieved that someone that I know bought all those SE razors I was bidding on over the last year, at least I know they went to a good home. But honestly congratulations I know it must of taken quite an effort and the great new is now that you are slowing it down a bit I'll be able to get a few. You are slowing down a bit right ? :001_huh:

That's an awesome collection Bob, it makes me feel relieved that someone that I know bought all those SE razors I was bidding on over the last year, at least I know they went to a good home. But honestly congratulations I know it must of taken quite an effort and the great new is now that you are slowing it down a bit I'll be able to get a few. You are slowing down a bit right ? :001_huh:

I doubt that I outbid you on very many razors. I tend to bargain hunt, and I have been outbid a whole lot more often than I have won. If I had every razor on which I ever placed a bid, my collection would be about 10 times its current size.

Of course, there have been a few for which I was willing to pay top dollar (and sometimes did): The Streamline set, The Gem de Luxe set, the open comb Damaskeene, and most of the lather catchers, to name a few.

I have indeed slowed down a great deal. These days I only go after something if it is really unusual and/or if it fills a hole in my collection (and there aren't too many holes left).

Or if I think I can get it really cheap. :thumbup1:

--Bob

You have a very nice collection. You are correct, and I agree with the hairline cracks problem on old Gillette razors.. I have a Big Fellow with a tiny crack. It drives me crazy, knowing it's there, because I haven't figured out how to fix it yet.

Top Bottom