What's new

Bigelow vs. Proraso Shaving Cream

They are the exact same formula. Proraso reformulated in 2012. I think it took almost a year for the reformulated Proraso to end up in C.O. Bigelow tubes and on shelves, but I'm pretty sure they are all now reformulated. When Proraso reformulated, they went to the barbershop-looking stripe motif with the more blocky letters. The reformulation was done to remove SLS and parabens so if you see those ingredients on your C.O. Bigelow box you know you have the old formula.

In my opinion, whether you have C.O. Bigelow or Proraso or old formula or new, they all work great and I would use any of them without hesitation.

When was Tetrasodium EDTA put into Proraso?

If you have a 'Bath and Bodyworks' available to you, wait for the Bigelow buy 2 - get 1 free sale.

That "sale" seems to be going on all the time at Bath and Body Works online. Very few stores carry the item. I stocked up with 3 big 5.2 oz (147g) tubes for $20 early this year. With one in the home rotation, one in an away-from-home kit, and one in reserve, I have hardly made a dent in the supply. If you take the buy-two-get-one deal, the sale price turns out to be competitive with cheaper-priced good creams like Arko and Derby.

When was Tetrasodium EDTA put into Proraso?

I think its always been there, or at least prior to the 2012 reformulation. An admittedly cursory Google search of old Proraso ingredients couldn't come up with anything definitive, but C.O. Bigelow's website has the ingredients listed for the Proraso-made cream which still has SLS listed as an ingredient and also includes Tetrasodium EDTA.

Love this cream, the cool feeling it gives is outstanding, great cushion, easy lather.. went and bought the buy 2 get 1 deal at bath and body works, lathers up great with my simpson duke . Combine this with aqua velva at the end and my head and face feel outstanding.

I'm trying to use my stash up several years ago Bath and Body works kept running buy 2 get 2 free next thing, I knew I had 12 of the big tubes. I got 8 left cause like Bryell Cream a little bit will do ya.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Used the C.O. Bigelow today. I do have the Proraso Green croap, and would say the Bigelow gives a better shave, though the formula seems identical ... that is, the eucalyptus business is the same. The croap's bubbles seem to give a thinner lather than the Bigelow tube stuff.

AA

Yep I too got the buy 2 get 1 free deal. I used one tube half way then pifed it off. I still got 2 unused ones left. It's a really great cream...smells really good and lathers good. I never tried the green proraso in the tube, just in the tub. They smell the same to me. If they really do have that buy 3 get 3 come December...I'll have to get some then. Ever since I bought mine no B&BW has had them in stock.

Today I used my c.o. bigelow faced lather with my omega 66 and used my Fatboy ouch got some nicks I haven't seem to ever get a good shave out of it something I'm doing wrong? I'm normally using willams for soap doesn't seem as slick or protective as my soap for me

Last edited:
Today I used my c.o. bigelow faced lather with my omega 66 and used my Fatboy ouch got some nicks I haven't seem to ever get a good shave out of it something I'm doing wrong? I'm normally using willams for soap doesn't seem as slick or protective as my soap for me

When I first used Bigelow I didn't get a good shave at all and I just figures the cream wasn't that good. It turned out that I simply wasn't adding enough water. I could get a thick fluffy lather but it was airy and kinda dry even though it appeared to be ideal. Once I started to add more water and developed a rich, creamy yogurt like lather that was wet and moist, Bigelow became my favorite cream.

When I first used Bigelow I didn't get a good shave at all and I just figures the cream wasn't that good. It turned out that I simply wasn't adding enough water. I could get a thick fluffy lather but it was airy and kinda dry even though it appeared to be ideal. Once I started to add more water and developed a rich, creamy yogurt like lather that was wet and moist, Bigelow became my favorite cream.
I believe there been times I've had good lather probably was the fact I'm using a new brush with it and haven't shaved in 3 or so days makes it hard I have thick coarse hair makes it hard at times and then I get nicked up thankfully had my alum block on hand are you face lathering or bowl?

As Mr Daniel mentioned, be sure to add adequate water. I soak my brush in warm water, lather it a bit with shaving soap then add c.o. bigelow directly to the brush along with a few drops of Walmart glycerin and face later, been working well for me.

As Mr Daniel mentioned, be sure to add adequate water. I soak my brush in warm water, lather it a bit with shaving soap then add c.o. bigelow directly to the brush along with a few drops of Walmart glycerin and face later, been working well for me.
I do add it right to the brush maybe I'll try my glycerin next time see if that improves I know I used it for a pre shave or a glycerin soap bar before my shave seem to improved my soap slick

Walking into Bath and Body Works 16 months ago is directly responsible for me starting DE shaving.

I went in to get a gift for my sister, then went to the Bigelow shelf to reload some of the shower gels that I received as a gift a few years prior. I asked the clerk what the best selling Bigelow product was. She immediately said "The shave cream" (in the green tube) and was adamant about it.

Reluctantly I bought a tube, as I had just loaded up on a half dozen cans of Schick Hydro gel. The next morning I smeared the Bigelow on my face with my hands, not using any water and not knowing how to apply it. I said "this is stupid" as it caked onto my face. I added a little water with my fingers to moisten it, and even though the prep was comical I could immediately tell the difference over canned gel. I then googled others' thoughts about the product, which led me to this site, and next thing you know I bought a brush and a DE razor and the rest is history.

Long story short, I'd still be using cartridges and canned goo had I not walked into the store that day.

I think at one time, Omega shave cream was the same formula as Bigelow/Proraso but it seems that Omega has been reformulated a few times too.

Top Bottom