What's new

Jessy's Weber Grilling Adventures

Hopefully I'll be joining the ranks of the Weberized soon. I have a question though (that may have been asked... but I'm lazy, and it's not on the first 2 pages if it has... so it's good that it's coming up again). I live in a VERY humid climate, where it rains at least once a day in the summer. I have a covered patio, but it's not uncommon for rain water to find its way in (I need to get some Flexseal on some key areas). What methods do youse gents have for storing your charcoal to keep it dry, yet convenient to the grill?

I keep the smoker and the charcoal in the same shed. It's very convenient to the grill that way. No so much to the outside, though. That's kind of inconsequential, though, as I can wind up grilling on any side of the house depending on which direction the wind is from.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Grill stays out, lump gets garaged, which is maybe 35 feet away from the normal grill zero. One small bag can be kept close by in one of the Rubbermaid style bins, which are pretty water-resistant

$2214-2-rnlogo-medium.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I keep my charcoal in the laundry room, which is by the back door, which is next to my covered back porch, which is where the grilling/smoking area is.

My bagged smoking wood chunks are in a plastic Suncast chest that is about the size of a cedar chest that SWMBO put a couple of 'em on the back porch for the blower and some other things storage.

The Suncast is not air tight (when I went to get some wood out last weekend a wasp that had wormed its way in there, and built a nest, tried to attack me...killed that sucker with some wasp spray), so a Rubbermaid container may work better for you in N'awlns where the humidity may seep in.

In my opinion the best place is in the house, close to the door to your patio.

If the charcoal gets wet it will dry out...but that won't help if it's wet and it is time to grill.

This reminds me...I need to go back and visit N'awlins again. I kinda miss Savannah too.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I'd vote for a Rubbermaid. Make sure that it resists UV light degradation if you keep it out in the sun . . . mine had a clear top that wasn't UV resistant, and it became brittle and shattered (picking bits of plastic out of charcoal wasn't fun, and the water could get in then).

I don't do anything special to store mine.

The smoker stays out, alongside the fence. If I have a supply of smoke wood it sits on the rack on the bottom of the smoker. Charcoal goes in the garage. I don't typically keep a stash of charcoal around (Home Depot is two minutes from the house) and I go through it pretty quickly.

I live in south FL. It is hot and humid here most of the year. I keep my charcoal on the carport. It is on the concrete and in the bag it came in. A bag of charcoal usually lasts me 3 weeks. As for the smoking wood, I have pecan that I have cut up into discs. The pecan sits right next to the charcoal in another kingsford bag.

My grill has a charcoal storage bin built in. I keep loose hardwood in there and the bags in the garage. Despite the humidity here in South Florida, I've never had any issues with it lighting. Though I think briquettes might tend to absorb moisture more readily that hardwood. I store briquettes in a 5 gallon bucket from weber that the store gave me when I purchased my grill.

I use a charcoal bin from Kingsford & it works really well. Mine is several years old and has never leaked. The lid snaps down securely enough that you can pour the charcoal directly out of the bin into your chimney or firebowl/basket.

View attachment 456040

http://www.lowes.com/pd_235625-55883-00037_0__?productId=3598740
+1. I live next door in Mobile, so I know what you mean about rainfall. I've had one of these for years and can keep charcoal dry for up to and sometimes over a year.

+1. I live next door in Mobile, so I know what you mean about rainfall. I've had one of these for years and can keep charcoal dry for up to and sometimes over a year.

Interesting. But if I go this route, please don't tell anybody. My LSU brethren would never let me hear the end of it if I took a Bama fan's advice! :lol:

Interesting. But if I go this route, please don't tell anybody. My LSU brethren would never let me hear the end of it if I took a Bama fan's advice! :lol:
I hear ya! Funny that my brother in law is an LSU alumnus and many of my close friends are also LSU fans. Even my priest wears an LSU t-shirt before Mass sometimes.

I hear ya! Funny that my brother in law is an LSU alumnus and many of my close friends are also LSU fans. Even my priest wears an LSU t-shirt before Mass sometimes.

Sounds like you're in good company. My brother lives in Saraland. He's a die-hard Auburn fan and married into a family of Bama fans!

Top Bottom