What's new

Weber kettle users

Someone who knows a little more will come along but the big difference is that lump charcoal is just burned wood (charcoal). Briquettes are charcoal dust held together with a binder (starch) and usually have borax (in minute quantities) or something else in them to help them release from the briquette mold.

Briquettes are usually very even burning and all the briquettes burn at basically the same rate because they’re the same size and density.

Lump charcoal is made of different size pieces that can cause its burn characteristics to be vastly different from one piece to another. Lump also tends to provide a little better flavor. Lump tends to burn hotter and faster.

Thanks.

I guess the best way to find out is to try some lump charcoal to compare to the briquettes. I'll just pick up a bag at Home Depot and give it a go.

@gpjoe
I would recommend comparing Briq vs Briq - I personally try to stay as "Natural" as possible.
Lump burns much differently than briquettes, especially noticed if you're trying to cook slow and low.

@Whisky is pretty much on-point

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Thanks.

I guess the best way to find out is to try some lump charcoal to compare to the briquettes. I'll just pick up a bag at Home Depot and give it a go.
I would prefer to use just lump but it burns faster and more inconsistent than briquettes making it unsuitable for certain types of cooks. I’ve convinced myself that if the briquettes truly had a lot of “bad stuff” in them someone would have figured it out in the last 70yrs. I have noticed a “you get what you pay for” when buying briquettes. Pay the extra for top of the line by a major company and you’ll probably have less issues.

Last edited:
I would prefer to use just lump but it burns faster and more inconsistent than briquettes making it unsuitable for certain types of cooks. I’ve convinced myself that if the briquettes truly had a lot of “bad stuff” in them someone would have figured it out in the last 70yrs. I have noticed a “you get what you pay for” when buying briquettes. Pay the extra for top of the line by a major company and you’ll probably have less issues.
Sometimes those cheap Walmart bags beckon to you like a siren to a lonely sailor. 😮‍💨

........I like Kingsford, but have noticed that at times, no matter how long I let the briquettes burn in the chimney, they sometimes extinguish (certainly diminish in heat ourput) as I'm grilling. Seems like more and more I end up with unburned chunks left over that get tossed with the ash on the next cook.
I've never experienced your issue with the Kingsford in all of my forty years of bbqing.

I've never experienced your issue with the Kingsford in all of my forty years of bbqing.

I don't get it either, and it feels like a new development.

I use a chimney and wait till the briquettes are gray before dumping them onto the grill. I'm grilling steaks or burgers 90% of the time, and it seems that the heat sometimes drops off rapidly during the cook, and I'm left with some unburned lumps of the briquettes, that are partially burned before going out.

It almost seems like the grease dripping into the coal is putting them out when I thought it would actually intensify the burn.

I don't know, maybe my charcoal is absorbing a bit of moisture (humidity) in the shed, and I've tried storing it in a covered (not air-tight) container.

Last thing to try is to wait longer. When I think the coals are ready, I'm going to wait anoth 5-10 minutes.

Regarding the lump coal burning hotter, that is actually what I'm after. I can control that to some extent by adjusting the air flow and keeping the lid on. With steaks and burgers, I'm only looking for a 15 minute cook anyway.

I don't know, maybe my charcoal is absorbing a bit of moisture (humidity) in the shed, and I've tried storing it in a covered (not air-tight) container.

Last thing to try is to wait longer. When I think the coals are ready, I'm going to wait anoth 5-10 minutes.

That's a possibility. I store mine in one of those screw lid dog food containers meant for outdoor storage and never have a problem and Kingsford is all that I use. I find if the coal is a bit damp it will just smoke more on start-up while it dries out. When the smoke stops and they're grayed out you shouldn't have any issues. I think dampness would just effect the start up not the actual cook.

Are you using a charcoal basket gpjoe?

I only ask because sometimes the ash doesn't fall through the grating when I'm using the basket and the briquettes are packed a few layers deep.If I don't give er' a little tap tap every now and then it can smother the briquettes and they can burn out.

Other then that you're going to have to call Scooby and the gang because you've got yourself a mystery.

That's a possibility. I store mine in one of those screw lid dog food containers meant for outdoor storage and never have a problem and Kingsford is all that I use. I find if the coal is a bit damp it will just smoke more on start-up while it dries out. When the smoke stops and they're grayed out you shouldn't have any issues. I think dampness would just effect the start up not the actual cook.

Are you using a charcoal basket gpjoe?

I only ask because sometimes the ash doesn't fall through the grating when I'm using the basket and the briquettes are packed a few layers deep.If I don't give er' a little tap tap every now and then it can smother the briquettes and they can burn out.

Other then that you're going to have to call Scooby and the gang because you've got yourself a mystery.

No basket, I just dump the coals onto the lower grate and spread em out.

No matter. I going to try and let the briquettes burn a bit longer in the chimney just to make sure they are going very well. Still gonna try some lump charcoal also.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've told the story many times about how Weber replaced my 10 year old grill with a new one that lasted another 10 years. When that second one was wearing out, a new one went on my Christmas list. A Weber kettle may not be the perfect grill for every occasion, but I'll always have one.

I use B&B briquettes. No filler, and you can tell that by the weight and the significantly lower amount of ash. They burn long and plenty hot, and you don't need to use as many as you do Kingsford and the others that have a bunch of filler.

I've used a chiimney starter for ages and ages, but I might have to switch. We no longer get the paper!

I combine a Propane blow torch

I know a lot of guys that use a prickly pear burner to start their charcoal--sort of along the same lines as what you do. I've done it (using their burner), and I've thought about switching to that as an alternative to the chimney starter.
Can someone please be so kind as to explain the different types of charcoal, and the burning/cooking characteristic

I like Kingsford, but have noticed that at times, no matter how long I let the briquettes burn in the chimney, they sometimes extinguish (certainly diminish in heat ourput) as I'm grilling. Seems like more and more I end up with unburned chunks left over that get tossed with the ash on the next cook.

That's not the first time I've heard someone talk about their charcoal going out early, but it is the first time I've heard it follow something like "no matter how long I let the briquettes burn in the chimney." Typically, what you describe is the result of dumping them out of the chimney too early and then spreading them out.

Briquettes don't need to be completely gray before dumping them, but the top ones certainly need to be more than just flecked. It usually takes mine close to 25-30 minutes for the top ones to be sufficiently lit if I have a full or nearly full chimney. (Obviously, it takes less time with a less full chimney which is more common.) When I do dump them, I also do so into a pile and still give them a few minutes or so for everything to be well lit, and then I spread them by raking them around with long tongs.

If your chimney is not lighting well enough or lighting unevenly, try drizzling a little vegetable oil on your newspaper before adding your charcoal (i.e., stuff the paper into the bottom of the chimney, stand the chimney right-side-up, drizzle about a tablespoon of vegetable oil onto the "top" of the newspaper, and then pour in your charcoal). That gives just a little more burn time underneath the charcoal always gets the job done except in rare circumstances (very high wind, wet charcoal, etc.)

I've told the story many times about how Weber replaced my 10 year old grill with a new one that lasted another 10 years. When that second one was wearing out, a new one went on my Christmas list. A Weber kettle may not be the perfect grill for every occasion, but I'll always have one.

I use B&B briquettes. No filler, and you can tell that by the weight and the significantly lower amount of ash. They burn long and plenty hot, and you don't need to use as many as you do Kingsford and the others that have a bunch of filler.

I've used a chiimney starter for ages and ages, but I might have to switch. We no longer get the paper!

I know a lot of guys that use a prickly pear burner to start their charcoal--sort of along the same lines as what you do. I've done it (using their burner), and I've thought about switching to that as an alternative to the chimney starter.
Can someone please be so kind as to explain the different types of charcoal, and the burning/cooking characteristic

That's not the first time I've heard someone talk about their charcoal going out early, but it is the first time I've heard it follow something like "no matter how long I let the briquettes burn in the chimney." Typically, what you describe is the result of dumping them out of the chimney too early and then spreading them out.

Briquettes don't need to be completely gray before dumping them, but the top ones certainly need to be more than just flecked. It usually takes mine close to 25-30 minutes for the top ones to be sufficiently lit if I have a full or nearly full chimney. (Obviously, it takes less time with a less full chimney which is more common.) When I do dump them, I also do so into a pile and still give them a few minutes or so for everything to be well lit, and then I spread them by raking them around with long tongs.

If your chimney is not lighting well enough or lighting unevenly, try drizzling a little vegetable oil on your newspaper before adding your charcoal (i.e., stuff the paper into the bottom of the chimney, stand the chimney right-side-up, drizzle about a tablespoon of vegetable oil onto the "top" of the newspaper, and then pour in your charcoal). That gives just a little more burn time underneath the charcoal always gets the job done except in rare circumstances (very high wind, wet charcoal, etc.)

I suspect you are correct. I'm going to wait a bit longer with the chimney before dumping the coals to see if that helps.

I think that the inconsistent burn rate of lump charcoal or the inconsistency of sticks of hardwood in an offset smoker are part of the flavor development process. The consistent burn rate of charcoal briquettes and wood pellets reduces flavor development.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I think that the inconsistent burn rate of lump charcoal or the inconsistency of sticks of hardwood in an offset smoker are part of the flavor development process. The consistent burn rate of charcoal briquettes and wood pellets reduces flavor development.
I see your point with the offset, although once the heat gets to a certain temp I’m just maintaining the coal bed and adding wood for smoke. Having actively burning wood in an offset smoker is only wanted at the beginning to bring the firebox and smoker up to a certain temp.

My main problem with lump is when you get get large chunks mixed in with smaller pieces. The smaller pieces burn hot and fast leaving the larger chunk as the only thing burning after a while and it alone doesn’t produce enough heat to continue the cook.

I have no experience with pellets so I can’t speak to those.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
For the last 25 years or so we’ve cooked a turkey stuffed with sauerkraut on a Weber Kettle on opening day of archery season in Wisconsin. Delicious!

Sometimes those cheap Walmart bags beckon to you like a siren to a lonely sailor. 😮‍💨
Kind of like DE Blades at checkout for free shipping

I don't get it either, and it feels like a new development.

I use a chimney and wait till the briquettes are gray before dumping them onto the grill. I'm grilling steaks or burgers 90% of the time, and it seems that the heat sometimes drops off rapidly during the cook, and I'm left with some unburned lumps of the briquettes, that are partially burned before going out.

It almost seems like the grease dripping into the coal is putting them out when I thought it would actually intensify the burn.

Regarding the lump coal burning hotter, that is actually what I'm after. I can control that to some extent by adjusting the air flow and keeping the lid on. With steaks and burgers, I'm only looking for a 15 minute cook anyway.
Humidity could be a possible reason as could be airflow. One of the reason that Lump burns hotter is inconsistent chunk sizing.
You could also use a combination of Lump and Briq in the chimney to keep the heat up and gain a more consistent burn through. Place the Lump in the upper 25% of the chimney...

I see your point with the offset, although once the heat gets to a certain temp I’m just maintaining the coal bed and adding wood for smoke. Having actively burning wood in an offset smoker is only wanted at the beginning to bring the firebox and smoker up to a certain temp.

My main problem with lump is when you get get large chunks mixed in with smaller pieces. The smaller pieces burn hot and fast leaving the larger chunk as the only thing burning after a while and it alone doesn’t produce enough heat to continue the cook.

I have no experience with pellets so I can’t speak to those.
I've had bags of Lump Coals that had plenty of gravel as well - sigh...

@TexLaw - I have been looking at B&B, I may pick some up soon to contrast with my R.O. All Natural

For lighting my charcoal in a Weber chimney, I use pieces of cardboard placed vertically in the grate at the bottom. And cardboard burns really hot.

And if issues persist, I highly recommend takin your inquiry to the WSM forum. Those guy are masters at using the WSM and in their knowledge of the various charcoals.

Reactions: tm3
Few years ago I walked into a half price grill sale at Walmart, and walked out with both a Weber kettle and a Weber Spirit gas. I find the combo very useful.

Grilling "experts" will wax at length about the superiority of hardwood charcoal and how the stuff like Kingsford makes food taste bad. Not in my experience. I like the Royal Oak hardwood because it is readily available and used to be cheap, but I tried Kingsford (another sale) and it worked fine. About a year ago I came across an article about testing charcoal (Consumer Reports?) and they ranked Kingsford as the best as it was the most "consistent" (I forgot how they defined that). They did say that the hardwood charcoal reaches a higher temp.

Another grilling faux pas is the use of lighter fluid as again it makes the food taste "bad." Not in my experience. I put a little spritz on the charcoal at the bottom of the chimney before I light it and it speeds up the process. No taste at all.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Another grilling faux pas is the use of lighter fluid as again it makes the food taste "bad." Not in my experience. I put a little spritz on the charcoal at the bottom of the chimney before I light it and it speeds up the process. No taste at all
I’ve seen people do 2 things that make their food taste like lighter fluid. First they let the fluid soak into the briquettes for 5 minutes before lighting and second they douse the briquettes with about a quarter of the bottle. I don’t use lighter fluid often, but keep some handy if in case I don’t have time to use a chimney. A quick spritz and light. As long as I can’t smell it in the smoke I don’t have an issue with it making my food taste bad. I think the key is not using too much and keeping in on the outer layer of the briquettes so it burns off completely.

Just discovering this thread. I recently started my own thread looking for suggestions to replace my dying propane grill. To my surprise I ended up with a 22” master touch kettle based on a fair bit of research and recommendations from people here. Zero regrets. I love my new kettle so much more then charcoal grilling. Everything I make on it comes out great and it’s a lot of fun to use.
I also really enjoy the large community of kettle users sharing their recipes and results on the various social medias.

I use a Weber chimney and with a single starter cube and I’m ready to cook in 15-20 mins. So far I’ve used kingsford briquettes and cowboy lump. Looking forward to try jealous devil next.

What are your favourite accessories for the kettle? Vortex? Slow n sear? I’m fixin to get myself a cast iron pizza pan.

Top Bottom