What's new

Jessy's Weber Grilling Adventures

Ditto to a cover, I have one of theirs and it's nice and fits perfectly. Be sure to check the size though because they make at least two.

Not Weber related but just as, if not more important than the grill, a Thermapen and a some sort of monitoring system with probes ( I have a Maverick ET-733 which is on the cheaper side but has worked flawlessly for me so far )

The above are the two single best purchases I've ever made in grilling, not counting the grill.

Of all the accessories I have for my Weber, charcoal rails get the most use. For setting up an indirect fire they are indispensable, and only about $10.

$image.jpg

Not Weber related but just as, if not more important than the grill, a Thermapen and a some sort of monitoring system with probes ( I have a Maverick ET-733 which is on the cheaper side but has worked flawlessly for me so far )

The above are the two single best purchases I've ever made in grilling, not counting the grill.

Of all the accessories I have for my Weber, charcoal rails get the most use. For setting up an indirect fire they are indispensable, and only about $10.

Yes, Yes and Yes. Some sort of good quality instant read and dual probes is a must. The Thermapen was also the single best item I acquired outside the grill and made an immediate impact on the food.

The Charcoal dividers are nice too. I use Fire Bricks for a long time, but the dividers are even nicer.

A big bag of NATURAL LUMP is also a must and some wood CHUNKS.

Last edited:

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
That lid thermometer may or may not be accurate. The one in my Smokey Mountain differs by about 30-50 degrees From what my Maverick reads at the grate.

That lid thermometer may or may not be accurate. The one in my Smokey Mountain differs by about 30-50 degrees From what my Maverick reads at the grate.
Mine is also out 50* from food level.

When I do steaks, wings, burgers or dogs, I just use the dome. When I'm doing any type of smoking, I pull out the probes.

I definitely second the cover and the intant-read thermometer.

For the thermometer, I use the $10 Weber version that isn't exactly instant-read, but close enough for me.

I've never heard of the charcoal rails. I'll definitely have some on the way soon though. :)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Their Chimney starter is nice but pretty pricey; I love my Weber grill. When you get there you might see some other starters for comparison. But I might have seen the brand I can't remember at Home Depot.

The other chimney the HD sells is cheaper quality- the Weber is only a little bit more. The other one has a hinged release on the coals- that is something that is going to break over time. The Weber is easy enough to turn over and dump.

The other chimney the HD sells is cheaper quality- the Weber is only a little bit more. The other one has a hinged release on the coals- that is something that is going to break over time. The Weber is easy enough to turn over and dump.

This^^^

Don't skimp on the chimney, it will be used all the time. I use mine all the time at least.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
^ yep and watch out for that one little b@stard coal that always gets stuck in the bottom when you dump the coals.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Jessy, get a nice pair of leather gloves. The chimney's are hot, hot.

+1 on that. SWMBO got me a pair of new ones since my White Mule brand ones were getting black and stiff...the ones she got (but didn't know) were thinner and don't protect against the heat as much. Get some White Mules or welder's gloves. You should be able to find the White Mules at a local hardware store or maybe Sears or Wally World.

Last edited:
Congrats on the Webber you will never go back to a different grill again!

A good cast iron skillet goes a long way on the grill, stove, or campfire. If you don't already have one. Lots of good unmarked Wagner to be had garage sale and flea markets cheap just cleaned up. New Lodge stuff isn't bad, but the old stuff is so much lighter with smother machined cooking surface.

Webber chimney starter may cost a little more, but will last much longer and holds more charcoal than most off brands I have seen.

The lodge grill /griddle the bigger one 20"-10 7/16" with the rounded corners and larger handles fits the Webber like it was made for it.

Last edited:
A weed burner for starting the charcoal. A chimney starter is nice but I rarely use mine since I got the weed burner.

Some rib racks would be high on my list.

Congrats on the Weber, they are a fine bit of kit! :thumbsup:

Besides the chimney, I would also get a lid holder, that way you don't have to put the lid down on the ground and risk denting/chipping.

Agreed on the chimney, leather gloves, covers are over rated unless you are talking WSM (on the grills the lids fit over the bottom, WSM's they fit inside the bottom, when it rains WSM's fill up with water). I also second, third, or whatever a Thermapen, once you cook to temp you will never go back to guessing it.

LUMP CHARCOAL, I can't stress this enough, it's so much better than KBB (Kingsford Blue Bag). I use Royal Oak, its got a good flavor no off putting odors and is readily available. Never ever use lighter fluid, it's not needed and takes forever to burn off!

Congrats on the Weber, they are a fine bit of kit! :thumbsup:

Besides the chimney, I would also get a lid holder, that way you don't have to put the lid down on the ground and risk denting/chipping.

This would be redundant for me and probably most other Weber owners. My grill and most kettle-style Webers have a hook on the underside of the lid (vent side) that allows me to hang the lid securely on the side of the grill, no accessories needed. :)

This would be redundant for me and probably most other Weber owners. My grill and most kettle-style Webers have a hook on the underside of the lid (vent side) that allows me to hang the lid securely on the side of the grill, no accessories needed. :)

Hmm, seems things have changed somewhat since my '92 redhead was manufactured :001_smile

Top Bottom