What's new

Family Dollar Blades

Just wondering if anyone has tried the Family Dollar DE blades and if they have what did they think of them. Any ideas on who manufactures them.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have two packs and they're not Dorco. package says "Made in Vietnam," and the blade/holder is same as one sold at Greer's (a discount grocery chain- "Bestco" branding).

Dorco 301's are OK, but these are not them.

Sadly, I haven't tried them yet (as I'm working through some decent sampler packs).

Should I? Just tossed a Kai.

AA

I have two packs and they're not Dorco. package says "Made in Vietnam," and the blade/holder is same as one sold at Greer's (a discount grocery chain- "Bestco" branding).

Dorco 301's are OK, but these are not them.

Sadly, I haven't tried them yet (as I'm working through some decent sampler packs).

Should I? Just tossed a Kai.

AA

Perhaps the newer ones are made in Vietnam, but they're probably still Dorco.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/447004-Family-Dollar-blades-made-in-Vietnam

That blade pack looks like Dorco to me. Recently Dorco seems to have moved some or all of its blade production to Vietnam.

As I understand it the "Vietnamese" Gillette Super Thin blades are made in Shanghai: China not Vietnam.

I don't know where they are made or who makes them but I am in the process of using one in a LC NEW for an Excalibur club run. I have 10 shaves on one and it is doing quite well at the moment. They aren't the sharpest or the most consistent blade I have used but they are pretty good. They are smooth and consistent from shave one. They do vary from day to day, in that one shave may be smooth and perfect and the next shave is a little rough, but that may just as easily be my fault rather than the blade.

i would rate them as slightly better than a Derby, about the same as a Personna Red, and not quite as smooth as an Astra SP. But I am one of those who can get a decent shave from just about any blade that is not vintage and badly stored. Astra SP is cheaper than these if bought from an online seller so to me they aren't a blade I would use regularly. But in a pinch and out of blades I would have no problem using them.

Here is a little more evidence that Dorco has manufacturing in Vietnam, using only publicly available information.

• http://careerbuilder.vn/en/nha-tuyen-dung/dorco-hcm-branch.35A6ACFB.html is an undated job posting for Dorco, mentioning "factories in Korea, China, Mexico, and Vietnam".
• http://theinsidekorea.com/2015/01/capturing-world-one-razor-blade-time-dorco/ dated 2015-01-19 quotes CEO Baek Hakgi "To be honest, we cannot supply all of our customers’ needs as we lack production facilities. Currently, we have six factories, including two in Korea. We plan to build more plants in Korea and Vietnam this year." The language implies at least one existing plant is in Vietnam, but see next item for confirmation.
• http://www.seico.vn/en/news/89-commencement-ceremony-of-dorco-factory-phase-2-.html dated 2011-10-13 announced a "commencement ceremony of Dorco blade factory phase 2". The location appears to be an industrial park southeast of Hanoi. Because this is "phase 2" this seems to be good evidence that Dorco has been making blades in Vietnam for several years now.

Based on this information my best guess is that Dollar Shave Club (which started in 2011 and launched in 2012) takes up the capacity of the Mexico plant(s) and maybe some imports from Korea too. The margins on cartridges are probably higher than razor blades, even with the DSC subscription model. So it probably makes sense to manufacture cartridges in those plants, even if it costs a little more. The Korean plants probably also supply their domestic market for both blades and carts. Meanwhile the facility and labor costs are probably lower in Vietnam, so they can use those plants for the DE market, including store-branded products in the USA. That is speculation, of course, but it fits the available evidence.

There are all kinds of reasons why blades made by a new factory in Vietnam might shave a bit different from the Korean blades, even though both are made under the Dorco aegis. They might use different steels as input, local regulations might force different processes, etc. If the equipment used in Vietnam is newer and more advanced than that used for the Korean blades, they could be an improvement. I might have to try some.

Check the country of origin - FD uses several sources.

South Korea/Vietnam = Dorco = not good

Israel = Persona = Good

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'll try one of these Vietnamese-made wonders tomorrow.

I'm well-acquainted with the Dorco 301 shave; will compare. The 301 is a good middle-of-the-road blade.

AA

I have used the Dorco blades from South Korea and Viet Nam and really like them a lot. I think they may be some what under rated in my opinion. I have used other blades but like Dorco the best. Wes.

I have two packs of the Family Dollar DE blades, one marked as being made in Korea and one being made in Viet Nam. In my opinion, they are okay but nothing spectacular. I like Astra and Derby blades much better, if that gives you my frame of reference.

I use them as my travel blades. I get two shaves out of them and dump em. Will work in a pinch but not an every day product, YMMV.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I just got an ordinary, run-of-the-mill shave out of one of these. Neither good nor bad. Worth the .88/5 pack. The MWF soap used probably cost more than the blade.

The pack of blades seems to be lightly oiled, which is interesting. Hopefully just for dispensing; SS shouldn't rust.

AA

My experience with the Family Dollar blades is pretty much what everyone is saying in a roundabout fashion.... They're decent. Not great, but definitely not the worst piece of sharp metal I've put to my face. TBH, I've found the best "bang for your buck" blade to be Astra. A pack of 100 is about 15 bucks on Amazon. I did a bunch of research trying to find decent cheap blades, and it was one of the many suggestions. I like them, and I'm on my third or fourth pack of 100 now.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Looking at Dorco's web site yesterday, the Family Dollar/Greer's plastic blade-holder packaging - and the blade markings - do indeed look like Dorco's.

SO are these repackaged/remarked Vietnamese-made 300's or 301s? I've used and liked the 301s; hear not-good things about 300s.

AA

Here is a little more evidence that Dorco has manufacturing in Vietnam, using only publicly available information.

• http://careerbuilder.vn/en/nha-tuyen-dung/dorco-hcm-branch.35A6ACFB.html is an undated job posting for Dorco, mentioning "factories in Korea, China, Mexico, and Vietnam".
• http://theinsidekorea.com/2015/01/capturing-world-one-razor-blade-time-dorco/ dated 2015-01-19 quotes CEO Baek Hakgi "To be honest, we cannot supply all of our customers’ needs as we lack production facilities. Currently, we have six factories, including two in Korea. We plan to build more plants in Korea and Vietnam this year." The language implies at least one existing plant is in Vietnam, but see next item for confirmation.
• http://www.seico.vn/en/news/89-commencement-ceremony-of-dorco-factory-phase-2-.html dated 2011-10-13 announced a "commencement ceremony of Dorco blade factory phase 2". The location appears to be an industrial park southeast of Hanoi. Because this is "phase 2" this seems to be good evidence that Dorco has been making blades in Vietnam for several years now.

Based on this information my best guess is that Dollar Shave Club (which started in 2011 and launched in 2012) takes up the capacity of the Mexico plant(s) and maybe some imports from Korea too. The margins on cartridges are probably higher than razor blades, even with the DSC subscription model. So it probably makes sense to manufacture cartridges in those plants, even if it costs a little more. The Korean plants probably also supply their domestic market for both blades and carts. Meanwhile the facility and labor costs are probably lower in Vietnam, so they can use those plants for the DE market, including store-branded products in the USA. That is speculation, of course, but it fits the available evidence.

There are all kinds of reasons why blades made by a new factory in Vietnam might shave a bit different from the Korean blades, even though both are made under the Dorco aegis. They might use different steels as input, local regulations might force different processes, etc. If the equipment used in Vietnam is newer and more advanced than that used for the Korean blades, they could be an improvement. I might have to try some.

Exquisite and superb information Mike.

Top Bottom