What's new

Family Dollar blades made in Vietnam

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425055721.391321.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425055730.739924.jpgAnyone used these blades? $1 for 5 at Family Dollar. Thoughts?

There are some Gillette blades made there but the dispenser looks like a ASR one.

What do they shave like?

I don't know yet how they shave. Just picked up a pack today. The Packaging does look like ASR, but I think they're probably made at the Gillette plant in Vietnam.

That blade pack looks like Dorco to me. Recently Dorco seems to have moved some or all of its blade production to Vietnam.

As I understand it the "Vietnamese" Gillette Super Thin blades are made in Shanghai: China not Vietnam.

I just saw these and picked them up too. They say they are a registered trademark of gillette. This is the only thread I can find about them. I'll shave with them and see how they are. 5 blades for $1. I really hope these are the best blades I've ever used. Unlikely but possible

Google-search "razor blade plant vietnam". There is a good review of them at The Shave Den. The poster said he got a smooth shave and could feel a good blade from the start. Some users there chimed in that they believe the blades may be from a Gillette plant there.
P&G opened their first plant there in Binh Duong province in 1995. Gillette brand may have preceded, or more likely superseded that. P&G Vietnam headquarters is in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon).
Westerners, particularly the French and the Americans, as well as the Australians, each lost their wars there. Once all that got its chance to be put to rest for a couple decades the country established an opening policy in the 1990s. Apparel, blades, and other consumer goods are made in Vietnam.

Last edited:
Old thread, but I'd rather keep this discussion going than start a new one.

I was in Family Dollar the other day, and while my wife was perusing the shampoos, I was looking at the shaving stuff (for the millionth time). I was surprised to see that the razor blades were no longer marked "Made in Korea" and instead marked "Made in Vietnam." I've tried Dorcos, and while they were fine for quick maintenance shaves, they bordered on painful going ATG. I've since used up the ones I had (50) and won't buy any more.

I shaved with a Vietnamese blade today, my Sunday shave where I go all-out to get BBS. These are not Dorcos, or if they are, they are made very differently from the Korean Dorcos. I'll need a few more weeks of shaves to really get a sense of how good these are, but in this initial shave the blade performed as good as Astra SP, my go-to blade.

I have 2 packs for backup. They are made in Vietnam by Gillette. The blades are smooth & sharp. I got X6 nice shaves from one blade. :thumbup1: At 20 cents per blade they are kind of pricey. 5 blades for a buck & Dollar General sells them as well.

I just bought a pack of these last week out of curiosity and I'm convinced these are Dorcos. Sharp? Yeah, but harsh! Tore my skin up. Wouldn't dare use a blade twice. $.20/blade? I'll pass.

I have some and find them to be very serviceable and get 4 nice shaves from them. Are they my favorite? Nope, but I wouldn't kick them to the street either. Nice to know I can get blades locally if needed. But since I have about 300 blades on hand I don't think I'll be stocking up on them soon

these are probably dorco st-100.

I just bought a pack of these last week out of curiosity and I'm convinced these are Dorcos. Sharp? Yeah, but harsh! Tore my skin up. Wouldn't dare use a blade twice. $.20/blade? I'll pass.

Check the packaging. If they are marked "Made in Korea" they are almost certainly Dorcos, and I agree, these blades are not sharp enough -- they tug painfully.

If they're marked "Made in Vietnam" they are not Dorcos. The Vietnamese blades are much sharper than Dorcos.

Check the packaging. If they are marked "Made in Korea" they are almost certainly Dorcos, and I agree, these blades are not sharp enough -- they tug painfully.

If they're marked "Made in Vietnam" they are not Dorcos. The Vietnamese blades are much sharper than Dorcos.

But Dorco has a factory in Vietnam so they could well be Dorcos.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Good when traveling with carry-on ... i.e., take a DE razor, buy these at destination.

They work fine, though blade life is short. Think I recall they are oiled in the package, which may mean not stainless. ?

AA

Top Bottom