What's new

Almost Straight on my Birthday

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Yup, muting the tip on the bathroom mirror is the way to go.
Here's an extra hint: Don't do it while SWMBO is around. She will NOT approve. :001_rolle

Shave 023
9/23/2015

pre-strop: Whipped Dog Balsa Wood Strop 20 green/ 20 red
Strop: Plain Vanilla 25/50 before, 25 after
Face wash: Neutrogena Men Invigorating Face Wash
Razor: NTS-Solingen 6/8
Soap: Vulfix Luxury Shaving Cream (probably Rose, Superior Shave sample)
Brush: Colonel Clink
Rinse: cold watter and witch hazel
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

I have suffered from Rheumatoid Arthritis and Ankylosing Spondylitis‎ for close to 18 years with the last two finally becoming debilitating to the point I could not work. There is considerable bone damage in my hands, wrists, feet, ankles, spine and who knows where else.

What this has to do with wet shaving in general and straight shaving in particular is that it has considerably changed my life for the better. When I found wet shaving at the end of May this year I was simply tired of blowing big dollars from a fixed income on shaving cartridges I really had little use for as who cared if a disabled lay about was unshaven. I was not total unbathed yet, but had gotten to the point that shaving and even showering were just painful chores to endure. I was looking for Harry's Razors which I had seen advertised as being cheaper but I could not remember the name. I do not remember my search term or the first site I landed on but I discovered wet shaving was in awe! 10 cent blades, cool brushes just like I learned on, stainless and chrome handles, I was hooked.

My wife bought me my first Saftey razor shaving set locally for my birthday from a brick and mortar that very very proud of their wares. I got a handle, a brush, some soap. WOW, just like I learned on. Well not really, we were pretty broke so the soap I learned on was little used up chunks of Ivory thrown in a chipped Christmas mug that did horrible things to teenage skin. As soon as I got a job I made the failed jump in logic that the problem was the razor and not the soap so I bought cartridges and canned cream and never looked back. Even before my first wet shave, I stumbled on Badger & Blade and that was it. I knew I wanted to wet shave and needed it to be with a straight razor.

So how is this life changing you may ask. Well being off work, suffering from chronic pain and fatigue really collapsed the size of my world - fortune 50 IT lead to stay in bed dude in 90 to zero flat. I learned early on with this that a good shave required good prep, good prep required a good shower, a good shower, required good soap. And heck if you are going to do all of that you might as well smell good at the end too (well maybe the Scent of The Day guys influenced this). And double heck, if you are showered and shaved you may as well get a good hair cut too and dress better to boot.

Today as an example, I read a novel till 9 AM, slept two hours, ate lunch, slept an hour, then planned my day's shave. Which razor was up in rotation, what steps to prep that one, what soap, what aftershave - a good hour of in the head prep. A pretty small world but now I am showered, well shaved, rested. To boot I stand taller and dress better. Mrs. Rogbo suggested that it was a waste to keep such a dashing man and home and out we go for dinner.

Totally off topic? True that. However; really truly the wet shaving experience and all it has brought into my life has brought back a connection to my dad and grandpa, discipline to my present, and a bright future of many shaves both safety and straight.

Not bad a bad find for looking for a cheaper way to shave!

Congratulations Rogbo. It is very interesting where our motivations can come from. Typically they come from the most unsuspecting places. What an inspiring story, and good for you!

But the question is, have you really saved any money compared to the cartridge and canned goo? I know this was my argument with my wife when I first got back into wet shaving. "See, blades are only $0.10 each!" A handful of DEs and about 20 Straights and shavettes later, not to mention the hones, it will probably take me to 250 years old just to break even.

Mr McVeyMac, you too funny!

So on thinking about it I thought it would be an interesting math story problem. See I really have to much time on my hands.

Initial Investment:
$150 - DE razor, brush, soap, stand from the very proud local knife shop
$350 - 1 new straight razor Superiour Shave, 2 vintage blades from eBay
$100 - various soaps, lotions, after shaves, and such
$600 - Total

- using the implied promise of the 10 cent shave
- averaging 200 shaves a year

600 / .10 = 6000 shaves to get to the 'promised' 10 cent shave
6000 / 200 = 30 years to break even if I never purchase another wet shave item.

Heck, that is crazy talk, I already dreaming of a NOS Otto Busch from the Flea right now!

that makes $180 + _____ / _____ * ______ +(how do I sneek this by Mrs. Rogbo) = x years

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
An inspirational story, Rogbo, on how something which many people take for granted (or even dislike) can be a wonderful turning point in someone's life, letting them lift their head with pride and a feeling of self-worth. Well done and thank you for sharing your story.

On a lighter note, you can easily get to $0.10/shave. Just start shaving before every meal. :thumbup1:

Shave 024
9/28/2015

pre-strop: Whipped Dog Balsa Wood Strop 20 green/ 20 red
Strop: Plain Vanilla 25/80 before, 25 after
Face wash: Neutrogena Men Invigorating Face Wash (hate it)
Razor: Henckels Friodur 72
Soap: Colonel Conk Bay Rum
Rinse: cold watter and witch hazel
Aftershave: Fine American

Highlights: Darn Good Shave

I had a couple of DE shaves between this straight shave and the last do to some time constraints. I don't really mind as it reminds me of different angles stretches and such that I find improve my straight shaves. So the Friodur never fails to disapoint. Because the NTS-Solingen came out so well with a couple of strokes on the Whipped Dog balsa and it was still laying there, I hit the Henckels with it and then gave it some extra strops. I guess this was a two and a half passer - north/south the first pass. Second pass east/west above the jaw, south/north below the jaw, then a half pass of cleanup around the lips. Easy Smeazy Quick and Easy.

Is the next shave REALLY the quarter century mark already?

$IMG_20150926_071144219.jpg
Danni the Cat picking the days Heroes

$IMG_20150927_171005737.jpg
Up today though I overruled her Pinad selection for Fine American...

Shave 025
10/1/2015

Face wash: Nivia for Men Face Wash
Razor: Fili Sub Cero 13
Soap: Proraso Sapone
Rinse: cold water and witch hazel
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

Highlights: The quarter century mark.

I had planned a big hurrah so to speak for my big 25. A throwback to my first shave; some lavender from the garden, steamed towels, ya da ya da. But it turned out to be a bit of a time pinched shave and a pretty darn good one at that. On contemplation, what could be better than to have straight shaving be the norm! I would say my straight shave is equal to my old Gillette dual blader and canned mystery soap.

The shave was just a quick hot shower, followed by a couple of good splashes of hot water, lather the Proraso. After getting a good lather i made my now usual 2.5 passer. A full pass top to bottom with the grain, then second pass across the grain above the jaw, and against the grain below the jaw. Finishing with a half pass of cleanup around the lips.

Off to dinner shaved almost baby smooth and smelling like a rose!

Shave 026 & 027
10/3/2015 & 10/6/2015

Razor: Fili Sub Cero 13 / Henckels Friodur 72
Soap: Colonel Clink Bay Rum / Vulfix Luxury Shaving Cream
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman / Fine American

Highlights: A couple of good 'ol shaves.
Lowlights: got a couple of light nicks.

Just two ordinary straight shaves with razor sharp vintage steel laid to throat. How cool is that! Both haves were the usual, a hot shower, followed by a couple of good splashes of hot water, lather the soap of the day. After getting a good lather, the now usual 2.5 passer. A full pass top to bottom with the grain, then second pass across the grain above the jaw, and against the grain below the jaw. Finishing with a half pass of cleanup around the lips.

I am concentrating now on better lather, better stropping, and consistent passes in a regular order.

The Twins say, "HI"
(that nice looking piece of leather is the Whipped Dog Poor Man Strop)
$IMG_20151006_103915196_HDR~01.jpg

Last edited:
Shave 028 & 029
10/7/2015 & 10/9/2015

Razor: NTS-Solingen / Fili Sub Cero 13
Soap: Colonel Clink Bay Rum / Cella Crema Da Barba
Aftershave: Fine American / Pinaud Clubman

Highlights: Bought my youngest son 2/3rds of a nice wet shave kit.
Lowlights: got a couple of light nicks.

Another two ordinary straight shaves just trucking along singing a song. Beep Beep! Both shaves were the usual, a hot shower, followed by a couple of good splashes of hot water, lather the soap of the day. After getting a good lather, the now usual 2.5 passer. A full pass top to bottom with the grain, then second pass across the grain above the jaw, and against the grain below the jaw. Finishing with a half pass of cleanup around the lips.

I nicked the heck out of myself again. It was with the Fili, but not with the point, just a clean little slice mid chin. This is a new trend I could do without. Not a big bleeder, no pain, just annoying.

My youngest son is a confirmed lumberjack looking construction worker, but alas he got a new job that requires clean shavedness. And he hates it! So I ordered him up a nice badger brush, a tub of Cella, and a small bottle of Pinaud Clubman. I can't help him like the clean shaved look but I can help him like how he gets there. I haven't tried to muck with his razor decision yet, but as soon as he asks the question I got a nice Merkur picked out on Amazon that will be heading his way.

Wow, I just tried to clean up a post with a wrong picture and lost shaves 8 through 29, very sad.

Shave 30
10/14/2015

Razor: NTS-Solingen
Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream
Aftershave: Fine American

Highlights: none of that seeping red stuff!
Lowlights: none

A good two and a half passer! With the grain all the way down (minus the smallest band at the bottom of my neck that grows upwards). Then across the grain above the jaw, against the grain below the jaw. Cleanup around the lips and chin as needed. Done. I am still not happy with the area just below the jaw line that never gets smooth like the rest of the shave, of course I only trip on this during the act, it never bothers me after. I also have been taking little passes above the grain above the jaw, but the razor doesn't flow like I think it should yet.

I am a Mad Men nut and I usually have Don Draper lather envy. Yes I just seldom get the lather I want. But yesterday my brush was hitting on all cylinders the Taylor of Old Bond Street was singing, and my old cast iron cup ranneth over.

Latha Man, minus the cape
View attachment 607824

Top Bottom