What's new

2nd shavette shave

I had my 2nd go with the Bluebeard's shavette last night. I used the same prep as last time: shower/soap/shave oil, although I used Proraso green soap this time instead of Bluebeard's cream. Blade was a Gillette Silver Blue. Shave was two passes, WTG/ATG on the face, ATG/WTG on the neck, with touchups around the chin.

Overall I'm very happy with the outcome, no nicks or weepers. Face is really smooth, even the morning after. I think I need to work on my neck technique a little, as the first pass ATG (south to north) was just fine, but the WTG felt a little rough, like it wasn't really cutting, just tugging the skin. Next time I'm going to try ATG (south to north) followed by an ATG/XTG type of pass, as I think that will work better.

I find this to be a really satisfying way to shave, even more so than the DE, and so would love to get it cracked. Any advice is very welcome. :)

Sounds good so far. As far as the neck tugging you may find that the hair at the base of the neck may be growing at a different angle than elsewhere. If this is the case then you might have to update your grain directions. So far I've had good luck w/ WTG (X2 passes), AGT (X1 pass), and touch-ups.

I'd watch your angles. Something to keep in mind with a straight and is rather important to the shave quality.

I like a higher angle with a shavette than a traditional straight myself.

Top Bottom