What's new

Costco getting in on DE shaving

I doubt DE or SR will ever have much more popularity than they do now. All I hear about lately at work is dollar shave club. Now that there is a cheaper alternative for carts, that's all most people will want. A few guys that knew I used straights mentioned it. People said "that's cool" and that was it. There is one guy that is interested in straights, but he didn't even sound real enthused when I offered to get him started.

Any exposure is good. Whether it's good or bad product, most will try and just go back to what they know. For a few it will be the gateway and they'll find their way here.

Scott

I kinda hate to see the big box stores get in the DE game. There is little doubt they will flood the market with cheap , and sometimes dangerous, Chinese razors that are razors in name only. Sure, there will be some quality shaving products slip though but there won't be many.

Education of our friends and family shaving topic will save many from wasting money on junk razors. Talk to them..........
Not the case with Costco. It's a Muhle / Edwin Jagger razor. I have the same set in rosegold from AoS and it is a real quality product.

The link, since someone asked.
http://www.costco.com/Baxter-of-California-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-Set.product.100155429.html

I have no problem with Costco or any other major retailer dipping their toes into the traditional wetshaving market, as long as the products offered are of good quality. That rebranded Mühle set is something I would have been thrilled to receive as a gift early on in my wetshaving career. It's functional eye candy.

Costco has a liberal return policy, so I wonder how many post-Fathers Day returns they will get. "The brush didn't work." "The razor cut up my face." Etc. Others might give up and keep it as a display piece. Hopefully, some of those gentlemen stumble on this site first.

It's a good kit but it's not going to sell. That price point is just too high for consumers that don't really know what their buying. I would check back after Fathers Day. I bet they'll be on clearance.

I have no problem with Costco or any other major retailer dipping their toes into the traditional wetshaving market, as long as the products offered are of good quality. That rebranded Mühle set is something I would have been thrilled to receive as a gift early on in my wetshaving career. It's functional eye candy.

Costco has a liberal return policy, so I wonder how many post-Fathers Day returns they will get. "The brush didn't work." "The razor cut up my face." Etc. Others might give up and keep it as a display piece. Hopefully, some of those gentlemen stumble on this site first.
+1

Costco's return policy is the best in the business. They're probably too kind and get taken advantage of. Costco likes to sell in very large quantities and all products there usually weigh a bit more than the brand does in a supermarket or drug store. The day I see complete sets of all the Clubman and Master fragrances on the shelves in the usual Costco horse sized bottles that require a shopping cart to bring into the house, then I'll know they're in the DE shaving game to stay!

Last edited:
Top Bottom