What's new

best preshave?

Myrsol Emulsion. I've tried TOBS, Crown, Village Barber, Proraso, Trumper Skin Food, etc. Nothing matches the Emulsion in my book. I use it every day. The others are for a big PIF.

Many shavers here use and like Noxzema. Give it a shot.

I'm one of them. Been using it for two weeks, and these are the least irritating shaves I've ever had... Even my last trouble spots are healing up now.

Before that, I used Edwin Jagger's Pre Shave Lotion, which helped a lot, but has now been supplanted by the Noxzema for me. But for someone who likes Noxzema, and enjoys a light menthol but wants a less assertive scent, I'd say give the EJ a try.

I'll throw a vote in for GFT SkinFood.

Out of the shower, I rub some of this into my beard, then get to building lather for the shave and simply lather over the top of the SkinFood. No problems with it gunking up the skink or brush and it provides nice glide and protection, it helps hydrate my beard even more and it leaves your skin feeling great too.

Going to hop on the Proraso train here. Has a nice welcome, menthol scent, and its not expensive at all. Bought some eShave oil as well, and I do like it a lot for the comfort it provides with the shave. But, it is oily, and that is not so much my thing. If you dont mind the oily texture, eShave is definitely worth the extra couple of bucks. But, I am having excellent success with Proraso, not sure I will venture off that track any time soon. Try some different products, find what works for you, your gonna find something that matches your skin type, and comfort. Beauty of this, there is no wrong answer :001_smile. Happy Shaving!

I am using the Proraso large tub now but a Nox user usually. Damp brush, swirl, apply to face. Shower. Reapply on shower exit. Lather and shave. Pre-shave doesn't bother the lather or brush. Simple and efficient.

I have used Neutrogena sesame oil. But I am not an oil user, too messy.

Last edited:
Here's what I do: I wash my face with soap and a washcloth. Then, I take a shower wherein I wash my face with my hands. After the shower, I wash my face again, with my hands. Next, I use skin lotion. Then, I use coconut oil.

Almost everything I've ever tried that was marketed as a pre-shave has been a let down. I can't remember a single product that's ever worked as that. You're better off with some kind of oil, or, blending your own for your skin type.

There isn't a best really. There is a best for you, however. Trial and error, friend.

I'll echo the warm shower being an effective route.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I have tried many, but finally settle on a hot shower, it is the only pre-shave that I need.

I don't use a pre-shave oil unless I've skipped shaving for a day or two, in which case I split between TGR's Pre-Shave Oil, which is very light, and Crown Shaving Co's Supreme Glide Pre-Shave Formula, which is a gel. Both help to soften the beard and make my skin slicker than snot. And both smell great, too.

"Best" is subjective, so subjectively speaking these two are tied for the best for me.

Olive, jojoba, castor, and grape seed oil in equal parts. Vary the amounts to suit. Add essential oils if you like. I keep mine in a 2 oz glass bottle with eyedropper from the health food store, one dropper is enough.

I like it better than the AoS I have, not nearly as sticky.
I use a 50/50 grape&hemp seed oil mix. Cheap, and works wonders post shave as well.

I love John Allan SlickWater. Very effective, no oily residue. $415nLRUGd6L._AA190_.jpg

i always shave after a shower so my whiskers are softened. But I also pre-mix my own pre-shave. Dr. Bronner's liquid soap with 25% grapeseed oil added.

Top Bottom