What's new

I'm not partial to VDH Luxury.

Hey gents, well I had recently used up the last of my VDH Luxury soap that came in my starter kit, I figured I would just let the mug sit empty for a little while and work with my other soaps. Don't get me wrong, I love all my soaps, but there was something missing without VDH Luxury around (Sentimental value I guess). I picked up a new puck last week, put it back into the mug but didn't use it until today. The reason I say I'm partial to it is because it was the first soap I owned when I got started in my DE journey and when I used it today, it took me back to the day my life was changed forever and that's why it'll always be a mainstay in my soap rotation. How many of you guys have a story like this? What was your first soap and is it still in your rotation today?

My very first soap was a sample from AoS, sandalwood. But my first soap to actually call my "first" would be the Arko stick recommended by so many here I had to purchase and try. And yes, it is still in my rotation, with extra stocks in the den, and still gives me the smiles for that reason.
however, SAD is just one of the AD's I can suffer from. Including RAD, BAD, ASAD,FRAGAD, and any other ADs I missed.
hello, my name is Lance and I have a problem :blink:

I had pretty much the same experience. VDH was my first-ever puck of shaving soap, and marked the last time I would ever use canned goo. Now this was before I had transitioned to DE (I was still in the Dollar Shave Club), but VDH Luxury was life-changing. I also started using it a few days before Christmas, so whenever I catch the scent of VDH Luxury I smile because it makes me think of my first days with traditional shaving methods and also the simply happy days of the Yuletide season, even though its scent is not a robust, spicy, or wintery one that would usually be associated with the holiday.

Also to correct the title for future posters, the title is supposed to be "I'm "now" partial to VDH Luxury" not "I'm "not" partial to VDH Luxury".... Auto Correct is killing me.

I turned my auto-correct off. It's a saboteur that'll burn you far too often. Who knows what it'll change your words to and sometimes it's embarrassing, lol

VDH is OK. Had a puck of Deluxe and a puck of Luxury. Both were decent performers, but boring. They eventually ended up in the shower. I really prefer soaps that have great scents.

I turned my auto-correct off. It's a saboteur that'll burn you far too often. Who knows what it'll change your words to and sometimes it's embarrassing, lol

This is true, sometimes I let auto correct change words just for the amusement.... embarrassing or not. Lol

Still have a half used puck of this that probably comes out once every two weeks.

I love the scent but don't know how to describe it....I get like a coconut vanilla type smell maybe?

-Josh

MY first soap was Williams and I bought it in 1967 for a quarter. Of course when I try to go back, the Williams today is just not the same.

I started off with the same kit I purchased from Target. I find VDH luxury to be ok and well worth the $5. I actually dropped that black mug last year and was very disappointed. Luckily a week later the same mug was offered on the BST and I snagged it. It took me out of the sabbatical but I have not seen another one offered.

My first puck was VDH deluxe. Just a couple of more shaves in it before it's done so I'm riding it to the end now. For some reason I absolutely love the scent so there's always going to be a puck around even if I move on to bigger and better things. For a $2 puck it can give a pretty nice shave once you get it figured out.

Hey gents, well I had recently used up the last of my VDH Luxury soap that came in my starter kit, I figured I would just let the mug sit empty for a little while and work with my other soaps. Don't get me wrong, I love all my soaps, but there was something missing without VDH Luxury around (Sentimental value I guess). I picked up a new puck last week, put it back into the mug but didn't use it until today. The reason I say I'm partial to it is because it was the first soap I owned when I got started in my DE journey and when I used it today, it took me back to the day my life was changed forever and that's why it'll always be a mainstay in my soap rotation. How many of you guys have a story like this? What was your first soap and is it still in your rotation today?

+1. Almost same story as you. VDH Luxury is my go to soap. Have you tried mixing it with the Deluxe line to make a "super VDH soap"?

I started with the same VDH soap. Used it to completion then used a puck of WMS to completion. I have unused pucks of both that I keep for sentimental reasons but I don't use them anymore. Now I have ~25 soaps of the higher end variety that I am trying to work my way through so I can buy more.

You might want to try VdH Select soap. It is a white puck that is available in a few drugstores, but not all. I think I got mine in Walgreens.
Its a little more expensive than the other flavors, but its worth it. HypoAllergenic and all that good stuff. Performance pegs the scale.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...select&rh=n:9479199011,k:van+der+hagen+select

My first real lather was made with C.O. Bigelow cream. It was the first thing I found when I got into wet-shaving, and I was blown away by the performance. I used it exclusively for the next couple of months while I started building my SCAD and SSAD collections. I still use it a lot during the dog days of Summer, usually with an ice-water shave. Great way to beat the heat. Its one of the products I always recommend to newbies since its virtually foolproof to mix up a great lather, regardless of your experience level or water quality or what brush you may be using (I often mix it by hand.) My shave-den will never be without it.

VDH luxury was my first as well.
I rarely use it by itself now, but might just for kicks.
I found that it works well in a mix. Its easily melted and the scent is weak enough that whatever melt and pour you melt and mix in with it won't be tainted. You can also get the blue box luxury that's unscented.
I used it most recently to cut down the scent of kells original dragons blood.... Wow that stuff it's strong.
What I did was melt together a half puck of each of the kells, luxury and deluxe.
Its great now!!!
I also took a sample of bald frog Arabian hookah I got from whipped dog and melted it with a half puck of either luxury or deluxe.... Can't remember.
I always add an extra squirt of glycerine for good measure lol.
But I digress. Its a great soap. So far my favorite has been a 50/50 mix of luxury and deluxe.... Best of both soaps in one!!!

VDH Deluxe always gives me a great shave. Just a straight up no-nonsense soap. Cheap and easy to find!

I load my Simpson badger in an Old Spice mug and go straight to the face. Lots of water. Quick and very easy (face lathering).

Top Bottom