What's new

2011 Muhle R41- what's next?

So I traded for a 2011 R41, and after my initial apprehension, I realized my technique has developed (over the course of a year of wet shaving), to the point where there is nothing to be afraid of. No nicks or cuts, and only blood drawn from a bump on my face.
The shave is great- DFS-BBS all over with 1 pass. I had to make some adjustments to my technique, especially around the goatee area, but the razor is awesome.
I have a couple questions for what to do next as far as upgrades:

1. Any advice for a handle that works with the R41? I have the ebony handle and it is too slick and that worries me. I'd like something that is short, heavy, and can be used with other heads as well (for future upgrades- maybe an Icon handle and I can buy a slant head later)?

2. For my milder shaves, I have slims, fatboys, and several non-adjustable gillettes. Between those and the R41, do I really have any need to purchase/try more DEs? (Other than a slant- I want to try one!).

Hi Sideline. I personally don't have the 2011 model. I own the 2013 model, which I read is not too far off. I bought mine with a custom handle made from wood. The handle isn't that heavy IMO, but rather comfortably balanced. However, this is just my opinion. And there's no need to buy another razor. Especially with ole Beasty. But yeah. Purchasing another? I personally wouldn't plan on it. Oh wait... We plan these things? :lol:(Vintage is my next adventure!)

Maybe it's time you try an SE razor. The GEM Micromatic Open Comb, the Ever-Ready 1924 Shovelhead and 1914 Little Lather Catcher are all as aggressive and efficient as your R41. Easy to find mint condition ones for under $20.

After the R41 2011 (I've got two) you've reached the limits of DE shaving. If you want closer and more long lasting BBS there's only straight razors left (as stated above), but that's a totally different journey. If you want to venture there and don't want to go all in at once I'd recommend a Feather straight razor. They have replaceable razor blades so there's no need to hone or strop. If you join the dark side we'll meet at the straight razor sub forum.

I realize you aren't necessarily looking to go more aggressive than the 2011 R41, but a similarly entertaining (for me) shave is a Cobra with a Feather Pro blade loaded into it.

I had thought you wanted something more aggressive than the R41, then it would be obvious, a straight razor. :thumbup:

After the R41 2011 (I've got two) you've reached the limits of DE shaving. If you want closer and more long lasting BBS there's only straight razors left (as stated above), but that's a totally different journey. If you want to venture there and don't want to go all in at once I'd recommend a Feather straight razor. They have replaceable razor blades so there's no need to hone or strop. If you join the dark side we'll meet at the straight razor sub forum.

I was going to recommend a shavette or barber razor of some sort as well. I just won my first through a PIF but haven't gotten a chance to use it yet.

Maybe it's time you try an SE razor. The GEM Micromatic Open Comb, the Ever-Ready 1924 Shovelhead and 1914 Little Lather Catcher are all as aggressive and efficient as your R41. Easy to find mint condition ones for under $20.

I wasn't impressed with the SEs, although I haven't tried the OCMM yet. I really wanted to like the Shovelhead, but the head is just far too light for my taste.

As far as handles, I've been using a Maggard MR3 handle with my 2013 R41 and I really like it.

You can try your Shovelhead with a DE handle. Just get a 10-32 set-screw and thread it into the handle, or cut the head off a bolt

You can try your Shovelhead with a DE handle. Just get a 10-32 set-screw and thread it into the handle, or cut the head off a bolt

Done that. I was actually using it with the same MR3 handle. It helps, but the combination of the head weight and shallow angle just make it less comfortable for me than my DEs. I'm a head shaver, and I just seem to prefer a steeper angle than most.

Understood! I'm a shallow angle shaver, and can't see an SE working well at a steep angle. That said, lots of head-shavers seem to like the MMOC especially.

Glad you're enjoying the R41, as I am with the slim.

As as far as a handle upgrade, look into the Weber Bulldog.

Additional razors I was looking to try (other than the slim) would have been a NEW as I've heard nothing but praise.

I may also try my hand at straights too. My father has picked up dozens of them (he shaves with a Fusion) over the years and gave me one to try out along with a strop, but I'll need to get it honed.

Glad you're enjoying the R41, as I am with the slim.

As as far as a handle upgrade, look into the Weber Bulldog.
:thumbup1: Get one while they are still making them. The jury is out on how long they will continue. I really luv mine, I enjoy using with both modern & vintage heads. Its unbelievable how a handle can change the razor experience!!

I love the 2013 R41. Now I need to find a 2011 head to try. You can also try a Maggard handle. They make a wide variety of heavy SS handles that done break the bank.

R41(2013). After swapping out the handle 6 times, Ive gone back to the original as its the best. The others look better MR5 looks awesome! But the original was the right one to begin with, but it took lots of experimenting to prove that to myself. The R41 is amazing and not the least scary, avoids irritation of the SLANT 37C but ive learnt to never do more than 2 passes (MAX) with either and clean up with a GENTLE strait bar or the PhoenixDOC (super smooth, awesome clean up razor). One truth is you need more than 1 razor in a shave. Well i do and while YMMV, i bet im not the first to work out that using more than 1 razor in a shave gives a better finish for baby smooth, irratation free finish. The FIRE i feel, 10min after a 3rd pass with any aggressive razor makes the close shave a painful nightmare for the next 8-12 hours before it abates! Maybe my technique will get better, but 2 razors works for me... The PhoenixDOC is a very capable razor FYI, but remarkably gentle and mild. Why its SO GOOD for the 3rd pass is it allows buffering over trouble spots because it leaves moisture behind (I often only moisten the skin with my fingers for the last pass/touchup, never drive a blade across a dry face!) i can easily just remove thoes trouble spots... I use a FEATHER blade in mine PhoenixDOC so thats a credit to its design IMO.

My perfect razor would be a slant/oc on one side and a PhoenixDOC on the other. Then i could own just 1 razor and sell the rest and only collect handles. The ONLY slant/oc i know of is ATT S2 by the way and its not at all cheap but what an awesome design spec's. And as to why the double over head comb, well its almost like the strait~bar for close, gentle shaving (which is what i want to finish up) but its buffering friendly and its gets very close without additional adding to any already aggressive face from the first 1/2 passes irritation... Toss in say three bottom plates M1 M2 R1 R2 for the option of different blade gaps and im back collecting again!!!

Last edited:
I love the 2013 R41. Now I need to find a 2011 head to try.
2011 heads are extremely hard to come by. You can get something that effectively turns your 2013 into a 2011 from the aftermarket. There's a long running thread here on B&B called something like "3D printed top cap for R41"

Top Bottom