What's new

OK, I Pulled the Trigger on a Rooney.now did I do the right thing?

I succumbed to the 40% off sale at Vintage Blades and bought a Rooney Super 1/2.

I have long considered a Rooney as they have an almost mythic reputation, but I never did it because it wasn't clear to me which Rooneys were which. There are the ones on Vintage Blades with the "script letter" logo, labeled "super" silver tip, in styles 1,2, and 3, and then there are the "block letter" logo, labled "heritage" sold at WCS and elsewhere, in beehive, emilion styles. Which were much more expensive.

So anyway, I like the 24x50 fan shape of the 1/2. At sixty bucks for a genuine Rooney this seems like a no-brainer.

Can anyone who has this specific brush comment? Fingers crossed...

I hardly know anything about them, but I've been wrestling with pulling the trigger on one myself. The deal is a no-brainier and the reputation is obvious. What's here to worry about? You'll recoup almost every penny if you don't like it.

Trust me, it was hard for me, but I really want a Chubby. It is the only brush missing on my den, so I had to observe a lot of restrain.

I hope the new owners enjoy them.

I don't have this brush but as you said a Rooney at those prices is a no-brainer. I pulled the trigger on the 1/3 in Super Silvertip - a brush I have wanted for a long time.

I succumbed to the 40% off sale at Vintage Blades and bought a Rooney Super 1/2.

I have long considered a Rooney as they have an almost mythic reputation, but I never did it because it wasn't clear to me which Rooneys were which. There are the ones on Vintage Blades with the "script letter" logo, labeled "super" silver tip, in styles 1,2, and 3, and then there are the "block letter" logo, labled "heritage" sold at WCS and elsewhere, in beehive, emilion styles. Which were much more expensive.

So anyway, I like the 24x50 fan shape of the 1/2. At sixty bucks for a genuine Rooney this seems like a no-brainer.

Can anyone who has this specific brush comment? Fingers crossed...

I believe I've purchased a Rooney 3/1 from them before. It was the script logo with the newer super silvertip hair. It measured 22x46 and I found it a bit floppy for my tastes, but the hair was super soft, curled at the ends, gel tips.

I've also owned a Rooney 1/2 that had been rebranded as Trufitt and Hill. Again, Rooney super silvertip, same exact hair. Measured 24x50 but also was just lacking a bit of density and really felt too big.

But thanks to this thread, I have a 1/1 on the way. I have tried a few small brushes and want to see how I like a fan shaped 22mm brush with a short loft to see what size I would like to ultimately end up with when I order a Shavemac.

I ordered a 3/3 and wasn't sure it was a good brush for face lathering, so I put a 3/2 on the same order. At those prices I jumped on it, just too good to pass up. I'm hoping I love them both

I believe I've purchased a Rooney 3/1 from them before. It was the script logo with the newer super silvertip hair. It measured 22x46 and I found it a bit floppy for my tastes, but the hair was super soft, curled at the ends, gel tips.

I've also owned a Rooney 1/2 that had been rebranded as Trufitt and Hill. Again, Rooney super silvertip, same exact hair. Measured 24x50 but also was just lacking a bit of density and really felt too big.

But thanks to this thread, I have a 1/1 on the way. I have tried a few small brushes and want to see how I like a fan shaped 22mm brush with a short loft to see what size I would like to ultimately end up with when I order a Shavemac.

Hi Jarick! Thanks for chiming in. You are certainly very knowledgeable about brushes. I just got a 24x50 WD Silvertip and it's a bulb with almost no bloom, so it feels small to me, but I need to use it more. I wanted to see what a 24x50 fan would feel like. I have a WSP Prince Silvertip 22x56 and it feels too big and floppy to me. So hopefully the Rooney 1/2 is in the middle.

I pulled the trigger too. Either here, or in a new thread, I hope someone posts their impressions. I'm looking forward to mine because I only have a couple of higher end British mde brushes, both Kents, and those are wonderful. I'm slightly concerned why Jim at VB is selling them off and there are some rumors that R.A. Rooney is defunct and if we get a bum brush there is no one to whom we can turn for a warranty replacement or repair.

I have 3 Rooneys, including a T&H (Rooney) 1/2. I think they're great brushes. I'm especially fond of the 1/2. They may not have the backbone of a Simpson, but they feel soft and will face-lather any soap I have. I've sold 6 of my 8 Simpsons, but I never sold a Rooney.

....because it wasn't clear to me which Rooneys were which. There are the ones on Vintage Blades with the "script letter" logo, labeled "super" silver tip, in styles 1,2, and 3, and then there are the "block letter" logo, labled "heritage" sold at WCS and elsewhere, in beehive, emilion styles. Which were much more expensive.

Lee Sabini-era Rooney debuted the Style 1/2/3 line of brushes in 2005 with hair grades of pure/best/silvertip/super silvertip/finest. Around 2007, they introduced the "Heritage" line of brushes, which included handles styles that were based on vintage Rooney models, including the Stubby, Emillion, etc. I believe they had super silvertip grade hair initially, and later also had 2-band versions. All of these brushes had the block letter logo until 2011, when they re-released the style 1/2/3 models with the script logo, and simplified hair grades. The new grades were pure, best and silvertip. So these are the models that Vintage Blades are selling on clearance, the style 1/2/3 brushes mostly with the silvertip grade that debuted in 2011. The Heritage line kept the old block letter logo.

There have been several batches of the script logo brushes since 2011, and VB's inventory is probably a mix of them. I have one faux tortoise 3/1 that was made in 2012 that has very soft silvertip hair. It's wonderful! I also have a faux horn 1/2 from a 2014 batch that is also very nice, but scrubbier than the 2012 model. The tips are definitely superior on the 2012 model. I will say that I prefer the the block letter font over the script logo, but the script logo brushes are still really nice and I enjoy them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom