What's new

DIY razor stand / shaving box

This isn't quite a DIY, more of a hack, but it might interest some of you. A few days ago I found a small jewlery box (or whatever this is called) in a thrift shop, made of unfinished balsa wood or something similarly fragile and lightweight.

I took out the lower drawer, and drilled a whole for my Maggard MR5 in the top compartment. After some sanding and finishing, I stained it and added two coats of polyurethane. After a few days sitting outside the house while the urethane cured (seemed to take forever, and smelled awful before it cured), it's finally ready to use.

I apologize for the crummy cell-phone pictures.

$IMG_20150522_170846.jpg

The lower shelf holds a tube of Argo aftershave and an Alum block. I hoped that the Kells soap tin would fit there, but no luck. Still, its not so bad sitting on top of the shaving dresser (shave box?) alongside the Vie Long brush.

$IMG_20150522_170915.jpg

Here you can see how the razor sits in the top compartment, with room to spare for a few pre-shave oil samples form Maggard Razors and a few boxes of blades.

In my clumsiness, I got some stain and urethane on the mirror, but I'll try to scrape it off with the next blade that is taken out of commission. Not that I'll ever use the mirror, but it looks sloppy at the moment.

It turned out to be a very inexpensive project. The mini-dresser itself cost less than 3 dollars, so if you have some woodstain, polyurethane, and sandpaper lying around it's ridiculously cheap. Even if you have to buy the materials, it adds up to less than 30 dollars.

Nice work. If it is balsa, you could have loaded the top of the lid and used it as a balsa strop for a straight. Lol.

Very very cool! Between this and the thread on blade boxes I'm now looking at everything in a new light...

-Stephen

That's the cutest thing i ever saw! I imagined an 10 inch man using all those full-sized products. Awesome!

That's the cutest thing i ever saw! I imagined an 10 inch man using all those full-sized products. Awesome!
Hahaha - if I ever get my hands on one of those old fashioned GI Joes (remember those? They were about 10" tall) I'll have to stage a photo shoot :thumbup:

Even though I do not possess your talent for restoration, I am always on the look out for anything, be it bowls, stands or boxes or what have you, that might be adaptable for the ol' shave den. I am very impressed with your project. Well done!! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom