What's new

First Time Purchase of SE Razors

And I think I did really well! These are both in like new condition but I do plan to give them a try to compare to my DE razors. Finding decent quality SE blades locally wasn't successful, but I did order some of the Gem blades online. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to giving the SE world a try.

$image.jpg

Congratulations, they are very nice razors.

I found that Connaught Shaving was a good deal for SE PFTE blades, even with shipping and exchange.

Very nice sets...congrats :thumbup1:
The pick of the litter is the Shell design Gillette ABC, an awesome razor.

That razor was actually the main reason I bought the set (only paid $39 for all 3!). I have three other ABC razors that I actually use. I was just really impressed with the condition of the two SE razors that came along with the deal. I'm looking forward to giving them a try

Good catch,

The red case set is an Ever Ready 1914 and they are truly the pick of the SE Crop in my humble opinion.......The 1914 is a really smooth but a deceptively aggressive razor and the shaving angle needs to be spot on with it.........The 1914 presents a fair amount of blade exposure compared to most SEs and believe me this Baby Can Bite and Reward Even The "Most Experienced SE User" with a Nasty Cut........ The 1912, below, has less blade exposure, less aggressive and easier to use than the 1914.......

The 1912 is perhaps a good place to start your SE journey.........:001_cool:

Billy

Last edited:
Thank you all for the comments! I received my se Gem blades in the mail and immediately began prepping for my first se shave. I started with the Gem razor based on the aggressive comment above. It was a really enjoyable shave overall. I did notice that the blade seems a bit more critical with this razor vs my de razors, but I had excellent results with a three pass shave. No weepers or nicks. One surprise for me was just how audible the shave was. You could literally hear every whisker getting cut. Much more so than my de razors.

It's looking like the Ever Ready will be my next shave.

On on a side note, how many shaves do you guys get from a blade? On my de blades I limit them to three 3 pass shaves. I went ahead chunked this se blade after two three pass shaves.

I typically get 12-14 shaves from a stainless Gem blade, 5-6 from a carbon steel blade - providing I remember to dry it after each use.

I could probably get more, but I dump the blade at the slightest sign of tugging or other indication of dullness.

--Bob

Top Bottom