What's new

Can Stainless Steel Take As Good An Edge As Carbon

I picked up a very cheap razor online with brushed steel scales and the blade was described as German A1 stainless steel.
proxy.php

Much to my surprise, it took an excellent edge quite quickly and I finished it on 0.25u diamond on felt for an excellent shave this morning.
So are modern stainless straights all this good?
I'm guessing this is Chinese (ha ha - an oriental Wapienica) and I've already got a Gold Dollar that I love but what is the general experience with razors like this?

Imo stainless takes a great edge. Some feel the difference in the shave. The stainless ive heard from some seems harsher, but i have never felt that.

I have two Opinels. One SS and the other CS. The Carbon steel is a much sharper edge, but does not last as long. The Stainless Steel will not have a sharper edge but will last longer. I can sharpen my CS to the degree that I get a clean cut off a 54 ring Pyramid cigar while the SS will always tear the wrapper and last layers of binder. I have spoke to chefs who state a CS blade is sharper, but it's more maintenance than a SS blade. With High Carbon Stainless you can get a pretty good bevel on a culinary knife that lasts for a long time. The use and specs are different, but a razor is still a knife. I am not willing to argue semantics with anyone who chooses to disagree.

I have two Opinels. One SS and the other CS. The Carbon steel is a much sharper edge, but does not last as long. The Stainless Steel will not have a sharper edge but will last longer. I can sharpen my CS to the degree that I get a clean cut off a 54 ring Pyramid cigar while the SS will always tear the wrapper and last layers of binder. I have spoke to chefs who state a CS blade is sharper, but it's more maintenance than a SS blade. With High Carbon Stainless you can get a pretty good bevel on a culinary knife that lasts for a long time. The use and specs are different, but a razor is still a knife. I am not willing to argue semantics with anyone who chooses to disagree.

That may be 440B stainless, that is often used in knives, as it has an increased corrosion resistance.

Razors such as the Friodur use 440C, which takes a much better edge.

I'm sure this isn't a fair comparison but with DE blades, I've never felt a carbon blade that was anywhere near as sharp as the better stainless ones.

That may be 440B stainless, that is often used in knives, as it has an increased corrosion resistance.

Razors such as the Friodur use 440C, which takes a much better edge.

Yes, but he already told you he isn't willing to argue semantics, so apparently the science is settled, and you are reading from a closed book. :tongue_sm

I'm sure this isn't a fair comparison but with DE blades, I've never felt a carbon blade that was anywhere near as sharp as the better stainless ones.
Wooh - the debate is on! I find carbon SE blades to be sharper than the stainless.

And this thread was provoked by my surprise that the stainless razor took such a good edge so quickly.

I guess it's in the metallurgy - there are certainly some grades of stainless steel that are easier to machine than others, as well as more malleable etc so I can happily believe that there are grades that will take a great edge and also that this technology has moved on rapidly in the 21st Century - we all know how good Gold Dollars are eh? And aren't the related Titans stainless?

Stainless is great as long as it's cryogenically treated. You can take a regular piece of 440 and when you dip it into liquid nitrogen, the edge-holding abilities drastically change. Friodur, INOX etc are all cryo treated.

I'm certainly hoping stainless takes a good edge. I've got a Friodur 472 in hand and I just bought a NOS Herder Inox. Both need to be honed, but I'm looking forward to trying to shave with them.

Actually most 440c I have seen would not keep an edge.
The all stainless German made razor I got never got to shave. The edge would collapse shortly after setting the bevel. I am planning on just scavancing the scales. Yours might be different so good luck.
Now I've had great lucks with other stainless like the friodur, the Dovo and the Titan. Not sure what steal they are made of, but those are stainless and do get great edges.
And as a side note, stainless just means they rust less easily than carbon steel. My Titan did rust quite a bit and needed an intervention. Still better though than a Fontenille carbon steal that will rust if you just look at it.

Actually most 440c I have seen would not keep an edge.
The all stainless German made razor I got never got to shave. The edge would collapse shortly after setting the bevel. I am planning on just scavancing the scales. Yours might be different so good luck.
I wasn't expecting much from my "A1 German stainless" blade either and only got it cos it was cheap and looks amazing with the brushed steel scales , but the edge is very good - again perhaps improvements in metallurgy?

And are these really German? Who makes them?

There might be tons of different makers. I have similar looking razors that are real medical ones that makes fine shavers. They tend however to have carbon steel blade like the wapi.
Try to hone it. You might get more luck than I did.

I have a few stainless. I found that I can't get an edge as good from stainless as from more pure steels.but it is not a night and day difference and my stainless blades can give pretty good shaves.

If the stainless steel is good and properly heat treated you can have a fine grain and so an excellent edge that holds and lasts.
Carbon steels are easier and again even if they are simpler alloy should need proper heat treatment.
It depends... but at the very end you can find crappy carbons or wonderful SS like Friodurs.

Top Bottom