What's new

Can Stainless Steel Take As Good An Edge As Carbon

There are too many variables in just saying Stainless steel. The grade is what will be the final determining factor, like what was mentioned earlier is that they are using a cryo treatment to change the molecular structure of the material. That doesn't mean if you get your hands on a bowl of liquid nitrogen, you can take a piece of 316L SS and let it sit in the liquid nitrogen and pull it out and it will be the greatest thing you could make a blade with. No. 316L would be the worst grade to use being that the composition of the alloyed material has so much nickel added in to make it "stainless" makes it a softer grade of stainless. What people are wanting out of a blade is a "High Carbon Stainless Steel" that way it has very good "edge holding" characteristics through heat treating/Cryogenically treating, yet on the other hand it also has the "Stain with an emphasis on Less" property. The other factor is when in the blade making process they do the metal treatment and for how long and so on.

On a little side note. 316L is a more medical grade and will take an edge and hold an edge for a time, they use it in the medical field because it can be sterilized and not "corrode". A hospital will also throw the blade away once they are done using it, if I am not mistaken. If I am wrong on that feel free to correct me.

Top Bottom