What's new

First Strop Advice

Hi Oscroft - would you consider, for a fee of course, making me a strop? If you have enough materials that is? I would be happy to pay you a competitive price :)

JRJG

Send me a PM and I'm sure we can arrange something at cost price or less - I won't abuse the B&B forums by doing anything for a profit.

Best,
Alan

As it would happen I've just got home to find the original strop I ordered on my doormat. it's not terribly long, though it isn't tiny either, seems like good quality napped leather, very soft. And seems like it'd work well if pasted. what it does have about a third of the way along it is an ever so faint indentation in it, like a scar. Can anyone shed light on this? I can post a picture if required? thanks

That's a problem with beginners' strops - they might be made of reasonable leather, but they're too small. The absence of large strops at low prices (rather than the beautiful strops made by the top makers that you really don't want to risk damaging) is what drove me to start making my own. But as for a scar or indentation, that really should be no problem at all.

With a short 2-inch strop you're really quite restricted and have to learn a x-stroke technique that makes beginning even harder - a longer 3-inch strop made a big difference to me.

As an aside, if you're thinking any day of getting the best there is, my two top choices would be something from Scrupleworks or from Tony Miller (I have a Scrupleworks strop, though I don't have a Tony Miller strop yet but will one day).

Best,
Alan

Send me a PM and I'm sure we can arrange something at cost price or less - I won't abuse the B&B forums by doing anything for a profit.

Best,
Alan

Hi Alan,

I just recently acquired a vintage Henckels for 20$, my first ever straight, and after I got it honed locally, I am now looking for a decent strop too for a decent price in order to test this whole new world.

Would you consider, for the price you wish of course, making me a strop, if you still have some material left? I would be extremely grateful.

Kind regards,
Pierre

First strop you will nearly inevitably cut up. I strongly recommend Larry's Poor Man strop kit at Whipped Dog. It's a fine strop and at that price you won't cry when you slice it.

First strop you will nearly inevitably cut up. I strongly recommend Larry's Poor Man strop kit at Whipped Dog. It's a fine strop and at that price you won't cry when you slice it.

Thanks for the reply but I'm in the UK and every time I buy something overseas I've been charged customs and also a holding fee from the depot before I can pick the item up, invariably this ends up costing a lot . Does anyone else know of someting decent and suitable in the
UK ?

Eventually after sifting through my options in the U.K. I've ordered a starter strop from Alastair at Westholme Strops .The leather is Latigo from the Horween leather company in Chicago and the second surface is natural Hemp webbing . I can't wait for it to arrive and placing my order I found these guys pleasant and helpful .

Here's what my strop should look like . $image.jpg

Here's a link to their new website otherwise you can contact Alastair via Westholme Strops on Facebook
http://www.westholmestrops.com/#intro

Top Bottom