What's new

Area under the Jaw

So I have been using my Parker Sr-1 Shavette for a while now, and I am really enjoying it, However I can get the areas my cheeks really well, but the areas along and under my jaw line seem to be a lot less smooth. I have been doing a final pass with the DE to clean those up.

Are there any good videos or tutorials on how to do the jaw line

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I tip my head back and away from the side I am shaving. I use my off-hand to pull down on the skin at the bottom of my neck.

I tip my head back and away from the side I am shaving. I use my off-hand to pull down on the skin at the bottom of my neck.

^^This^^

I think this is the toughest area to shave, regardless of the tools used. The angle required provides a challenge, some artificial pressure is required (especially so using a DE), and the beard growth is usually heaver there, too.

Definitely a tough area. I do sort of the opposite of above. If I'm shaving the left side of my face, I turn my head right, look down a bit, lean my head forward a bit, then stretch the skin down. That makes that whole jawline area a nice flat surface that I can shave easy.

So I have been using my Parker Sr-1 Shavette for a while now, and I am really enjoying it, However I can get the areas my cheeks really well, but the areas along and under my jaw line seem to be a lot less smooth. I have been doing a final pass with the DE to clean those up.

Are there any good videos or tutorials on how to do the jaw line

There are straight razor videos listed in the shave wiki tab on the main page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r24ar_SSGVo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIM0Coix6Gg

Last edited:
I had terrible problems in that my hair grows straight from ear to chin and there's little or no way to do a razor pass against the grain with a SE. Added to that my beard is like wire lol. All I can say is experiment with different things. Pull the skin tight in various directions and cut in various directions and write down what you like and don't like about each one. You will find some result in nicks. Some will leave irritation and some will slice you to ribbons lol. But what works for one person won't for another. But you will work it out I promise you! There will come this Magic time when it just sort of clicks and you will get it. Usually on one side first and it's a pain duplicating it on the other but given time it happens. Light pressure and tight skin is pretty key throughout reguardless of direction and Get your razor sharp as is possible and let it do the work. Never force it. It took me (15years exp with a DE) about 2 months shaving every other day to get regular good shaves with no cuts. But realistically it took me 9 months before I was getting shaves that were making my DE shaves seem crude and if I'm honest it'll take the rest of my life to get the perfect shave lol

Push the skin under the jaw-line higher up on your cheek bone. Figure out which direction is ATG for this area. Mow it down.

Under the chin: I do a E-W pass while lifting my chin high on the first pass and then a S-N pass on the second pass.
The rest of the jawline I look up and away to help stretch the skin and will do a N-S along with the rest of my cheek but I take care to watch the blade angle as it needs to change as it goes over the jawline. Followed by an E-W.
In both cases I pull the skin by stretching the skin at on my lower neck.

Check what direction the hair grows and try to figure out how to do an ATG pass.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
A good stretch helps. I also follow up under the jaw with the razor on moist-dry skin, no lather or soap, after drying my face and washing the brush out. It isn't hazardous if you're at a decent skill level.

Wipe the razor off afterwards with a white tissue or TP. How much stubble is on the paper is a good measure of how good the whole system is, razor, soap, technique, etc.

Cheers, Steve

Top Bottom