What's new

1938-1945 Triangular Slot Gillette Techs

I love my earlier Techs (US triangular slot, 1932 Canadian triangular slot). I, too, found the post-war oblong slot Techs to be too mild and couldn't get a great shave from them.

Plus, the fat handle just looks cool.

Fat handle Techs do look cool; I prefer them to ball-end Techs. The British Techs look like the most expensive. I gather the solid-base, oblong-slot on the early (1940s) British Techs offer something of a different shave feel compared with the triangular-slot Techs, purly a guess on my part. They also sell for considerably more than other pre-war models.

Last edited:
Mr-razor was kind enough to create this helpful photo and posted in this thread.

proxy.php

I agree with Edgar. I would buy old ones and stay away from newer ones.

Of the three Techs I have (1961, 1949 era, and early war Triangle), I only use the the triangle slot one. The other two do not provide as good a shave.

Did any triangle slot techs come with the standard ball end handle?
Or were they all fat handle, contract or bakelite handles.

Copierguy: Nice quick-reference poster. Well done, mate. I copied and saved it to my photos--useful reference.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Tried a new (to me) blade today: Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus in my 34C HD. Fantastic blade, smooth on my skin and efficient on my stubble. This is the blade I'll use in my in my triangular-slot Tech, which should be here by week's end. Don't mean to get off topic, but the Gillette Rubie in my 34C delivered the most comfortable and efficient shave I've ever had (I've sensitive skin and tough stubble). Now that I have 'the' blade for my skin type and stubble, I'll use a Rubie in the Tech.

Last edited:
To me they are. They are built very good. And I think the blade gap is the same as a New on both of them.
I shaved for the first time today with a Canadian Heavy, 1932. It's a good one too. Maybe a tad bit milder than the pre war USA one. If it is, it's not by much. But as smooth.

Never tried a post-war tech, no reason to love my Early Tech razor. Can't beat the prices either $5 off ebay for my first DE and $10 from a scavenger I know. :)

-Stephen

If a Tech is too mild there is an easy way to improve the efficiency of the razor by trimming the cutting edges off a couple of used blades and placing them under the blade. This will increase the blade gap and make the Tech shave more like a more aggressive razor. Use a pair of scissors to trim just the cutting edge off a few used blades and place two or three under the blade then put the bottom cap on and replace it on the razor.

My Tech came in this afternoon. I've got to do a little more clean up to do on the head. Considering its age, I think it looks good. Thanks for you help, gentlemen.

$IMG_5931.jpg $IMG_5928.jpg $IMG_5929.jpg

Good lookin' Tech! I love when their good enough to not need a re-plate, but worn enough to show their age!

Thanks for the well-wishes, guys.

Cash_Stronomer: I agree: The marks on the Tech add to its storied history and character.

I had my first shave with the Tech this evening. Nice shave, but I prefer shaves from my 34C. The Merkur is smoother and is the closer shaving of these mild razors (the Tech is milder in my hands).

Last edited:
To me it seems that Tech 'aggressiveness' has more to do with the base (flat vs curved) than with the slot shape (oval vs triangle) Also seems like the cap (faceted vs dome) is irrelevant. To me its all about that flat bottom base .

Top Bottom