What's new

proraso pre shave

Not sure if it makes a difference or not, but it certainly wakes me up in the morning! I rub a bit into my wet face just after I shower but before I comb my hair and get the lather going. Gives it time to really invigorate my face. Have not noticed much difference in my shave on those mornings I don't use it however.

I'm the apparently rare guy who doesn't want to relive Vick's VapoRub, a nightmare from my youth. I can't handle Proraso green in any form. Especially the pre-shave, which along with the Proraso green AS, are the only two products I own that I never use.

On the other hand, Myrsol Emulsion is the only product I use every day (except for my trusty Georgetown scuttle), and I use it exclusively as a pre-shave. I don't haul the beautiful heavy bottle when I travel by air, however, so I do have opportunities to A/B test my shaving experience with and without the Myrsol. I clearly perceive better shaves with the Myrsol pre-shave. And, as I like to say, when it comes to shaving, perception is reality.

I use the green pre shave cream most shaves, I find it lubricates the skin better, if put on a wet face.
Just bought the white one from a shop near TOBS - smells nicer (green tea/oats rather than menthol) will see how it fares.

I use the green pre shave cream most shaves, I find it lubricates the skin better, if put on a wet face.
Just bought the white one from a shop near TOBS - smells nicer (green tea/oats rather than menthol) will see how it fares.

I have used the green and white Proraso pre-shave tubs. Have to say that I could not detect if one was better than the other. I do use Proraso pre-shave before every shave and feel it helps. I am currently testing Proraso vs Noxzema as a pre-shave....

I use them everyday. More a cuddle than real necessity. But I love it!
However I feel my face better during and post shave when using this pre, especially the green one.
Very fresh.

The real difference I feel when using something more aggressive like shavette. In that case for me it's a must.

my2c and YMMV

I have dry skin and tough beard. I am always on the lookout for anything that will make my shave a little less irritating. The ProRaso preshave is interesting stuff. The good news is that I am certain that it reduces razor friction. My shaves were more efficient and less irritating, at first anyway. Over the span of several weeks I realized that hours after my shave my skin was dry and irritated. I found myself putting balm on my face several times per day. A few days after stopping the ProRaso all was good again.

The bottom line is that I do believe it works well to prep the beard and reduce friction. Unfortunately, something in it doesn't like me.

I am in the process of trialing the Mickey Lee PreShave Butter. So far so good. Slick. Lots of glycerin. It is really a preshave oil disguised as a butter. Coconut oil, a semi-solid at room temperature, is the primary ingredient. So far so good.

I have several Proraso products that I use almost everyday, haven't bought the pre shave yet, I currently use Somerset's shaving oil as a preshave and that tiny bottle has yielded almost three months of preshave, it's truly amazing stuff and it comes in different scents or no scent, for me, my sensitive skin and some of my aggressive razors it's become a must do. In South FL you look for anything to cool you off, The Somerset's shaving oil with eucalyptus is Great IMO.

I have been using Proraso green as a pre-shave for about the last 6 months and I find no discernable benefit from its use - shaves are just as good with it as they were before using it. As there is no perceived benefit from its continued use, I will let my supply run out.

Top Bottom