What's new

Washing Machine Woes. with a happy ending.

I have had washer woes before. The washer eating a sock and plugging the pump, and on the new HE front load washers, if there are bobby pins, change, or any other junk in your pockets, it can jam up the pump and that is a $300.00 touch, more if you get a repairman and are willing to wait 2-3 weeks. At my rental house I have now come across a problem that is a lot more common than you think it should be. There was water leaking from the detergent / fabric softener / bleach dispenser. Always remembering that GIYF, off I go to find a solution to the problem. The most common solution to the problem is that there is a blockage in the hose from the dispenser to the drum. This also follows with helpful youtube videos of how to take the washer apart to repair the problem. Being the handy guy that I think I am away I go to get my tools and fix this problem. After getting to the point of being able to repair the problem, I took a half measure, and called it good. The washer still leaked. i did not have it all back together, just enough to test it, so back to the disassembly and removing the hose where it enters the drum, I found the problem (see attached photo). Now the question is this.
The hose enters the drum about 3/4 of the way up the side of the drum. There is a rubber seal between the inner washing drum and the outer drum. Now, I know some of you probably know of this problem, but for those that do not, here it is. A piece of clothing, etc., can get caught in the outlet and cause a partial blockage that backs the water up and it pours out the dispenser opening. The real question is how does that happen???? Imagine my surprise when I removed the hose from the drum and found this in opening. It is a good thing I had my tools with me, as I used a pliers to grab these.
proxy.php

After putting it all back together it works great.

Nice repair job! Glad you were able to dig it out and unclog the hose.

Good information, as it appears these High Efficiency washers have a couple of practicality strikes against them. Second strike being eating small underwear, bobby pins/coins, etc. With the first strike being they too easily build up mildew if the doors are keep closed...at least this is what I have heard which has keep me away from them.

With the first strike being they too easily build up mildew if the doors are keep closed...at least this is what I have heard which has keep me away from them.

It can happen with top loaders too. The difference is that a top loader can be left open without getting in the way. I am not a big fan of my HE top loader that has no agitator. It seems hard on clothes and Kenmore isn't the same quality that they were for my folks. 3 years in and it already needed a control board and may need some anti vibration rods or struts or whatever.

Nice repair job! Glad you were able to dig it out and unclog the hose.

Good information, as it appears these High Efficiency washers have a couple of practicality strikes against them. Second strike being eating small underwear, bobby pins/coins, etc. With the first strike being they too easily build up mildew if the doors are keep closed...at least this is what I have heard which has keep me away from them.

After my wash is done, I always leave the door to my front loading washer open along with the detergent dispenser tray to prevent mildew.

I'm guessing your tenants didn't want the panties back? :lol:

Much respect for the DIY repair types. I know that it can be a pain, but it's so rewarding to fix small appliances yourself and save some bucks!

Top Bottom