What's new

New wet shaver checking in

Increasingly disgusted with the over priced underperforming cartridge razors, with their pathetic edges and shameless waste byproducts, I spent a couple of months reading (including a lot of time on B&B's main site and forum), before investing in the iKon Shave Kit #101 as an easy entry point, in February this year.

$Razor_022515_001.jpg

Experienced shavers will no doubt agree that the brush (a pretty basic boar), is merely average, the blades are usable without being stellar, and the best part of the kit is the soap (Razorock Artisan Classic), which I seem to have hardly dented so far, and the iKon Shavecraft #101 with iKon Bamboo handle (which I've seen recommended here as a respectable entry to DE), which in my experience is very forgiving for a new wet shaver (I was nervous of the open comb at first, but a few tries made me much more confident).

All in all I'm very satisfied with the kit as an accessibly priced entry to wet shaving. It has, of course, convinced me to dive in deeper.

I switched almost immediately to the Lord Platinum Class blades, which are exceptional in comparison to the blades which came with the kit (and they cost silly money for a pack of 100). Yesterday (after a couple of weeks of reading), I took the plunge on an order from Mama Bear's Soap (5oz each of Amaretto Royale, Black Coffee, Sandalwood Vanilla, and Eucalyptus). I'm considering an Edwin Jagger Best Badger brush as my first badger. And that's as far as I've gone to date.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Very nice kit! Your boar brush will be fine after breaking in; Nothing wrong with adding a badger brush. I have not tried Lord Platinum Class blades but have used Astra SPs with satisfaction. Looks like you are on your way to very enjoyable shaves!

Thanks for the warm greetings everyone.

Very nice kit! Your boar brush will be fine after breaking in; Nothing wrong with adding a badger brush. I have not tried Lord Platinum Class blades but have used Astra SPs with satisfaction. Looks like you are on your way to very enjoyable shaves!

Unfortunately the bristles are already starting to splay quite markedly, and the knot is detatching from the shaft, so I'll need to replace it sooner or later. I do like the vigorous scrubbing action the stiff bristles provide, but it isn't exactly fond of water. I was intending to purchase the Edwin Jagger Best Badger (medium), but having looked further I think I'll go up a step to the Semogue Owners Club 2 Band Cherry Wood.

I found the Astra blades which came with the iKon kit to be quite good, definitely much better than the Super-Max. But the Lord blades are far better, holding an edge for a surprising number of shaves.

I agree on the badger brush too.

Increasingly disgusted with the over priced underperforming cartridge razors, with their pathetic edges and shameless waste byproducts, I spent a couple of months reading (including a lot of time on B&B's main site and forum), before investing in the iKon Shave Kit #101 as an easy entry point, in February this year.

View attachment 568633

Experienced shavers will no doubt agree that the brush (a pretty basic boar), is merely average, the blades are usable without being stellar, and the best part of the kit is the soap (Razorock Artisan Classic), which I seem to have hardly dented so far, and the iKon Shavecraft #101 with iKon Bamboo handle (which I've seen recommended here as a respectable entry to DE), which in my experience is very forgiving for a new wet shaver (I was nervous of the open comb at first, but a few tries made me much more confident).

All in all I'm very satisfied with the kit as an accessibly priced entry to wet shaving. It has, of course, convinced me to dive in deeper.

I switched almost immediately to the Lord Platinum Class blades, which are exceptional in comparison to the blades which came with the kit (and they cost silly money for a pack of 100). Yesterday (after a couple of weeks of reading), I took the plunge on an order from Mama Bear's Soap (5oz each of Amaretto Royale, Black Coffee, Sandalwood Vanilla, and Eucalyptus). I'm considering an Edwin Jagger Best Badger brush as my first badger. And that's as far as I've gone to date.
My best brush was a EJ badger.

Top Bottom