What's new

Good Razor and Blade combos

Evening everyone
I know that this is a little bit 'touchy" of a topic, but i really think there is something to it. I have been using DE razors for more than two years now and have done lots of experimenting on my own and would like to share notes.

I would like to add the disclaimer that i understand that everyone has their own facial variables that add a little more complexity to the issue at hand.

Saying that I am convinced that some blades just work better in some razors. My first good combo was a Gillette Super Speed and yellow 7 O'clock blades. I would get a week to a week and a half from one blade making a more expensive blade a better value.

I was having a harder time getting the hair under my nose and my lip with the Super Speed and decided to try a 3 piece razor with it's smaller head. Being a cheap bas.....um frugal i got a Gillette ball end Tech. After running through my blade sampler again, I hit the home run. I don't know the voodoo involved or exactly why, but Personna Lab Blues last 3 or so weeks in the Ball end Tech. I mean really good shaves, not the crappy dull razor ones.

I am not saying that you will have the same 3 week duration on the razor/blade combo, but I am saying it will be a good solid combo.

So how about you guys? What have you found that works well together?

I admire your attention to detail, but I just load a Gillette Silver Blue or Astra SP in to anything and shave away. No preferred blade/razor combos for me.

I too, use GSB, Astra SP or Voskhod in every razor I own and get after it. I get three or four really good shaves, and pitch it. Most often, I pitch it after three, because too many times I have had to switch in mid shave during shave number four. I have a very coarse beard, and life is too short.

My '64 ball end Tech gives me great shaves with any of my blades, especially the sharper ones.

Like you, I value economy.... so a Personna Med blade will last me at least a couple of weeks.

The Tech razor is often undervalued but I believe one of Gillettes greatest weapons in its arsenal..... simple but highly effective!!

Top Bottom