What's new

Super Cheap Generic Fountain Pen's. Bad Idea For A Beginner?

Hi guys, I'm new to The Nib and since I started a new job a couple of months ago I'm starting to feel like an excursion into a new style of handwriting is now justified since I now find myself writing more regularly.

I took a cheap fountain pen from the Non-US traveling shaving box with the intention of getting a bottle of ink and giving it a try.

To my dismay I think it's not in the best of condition as the nib does not look as if it is sitting flush with the feeder.
I read the wiki and while I seen a few good budget pens mentioned I did not see anything for pens that are likely worth about €0.50.

I haven't picked up any ink yet but i thought asking here would be a good place to start before I go and buy a bottle I might not like much.

So my question is to you, how low quality can you go in a pen and/or ink before it's detrimental to a beginners overall decision if using a fountain pen is worth the switch from your common dime a dozen clear plastic body ballpoint?

Thanks for any advice guys :thumbup1:

If you aren't sure if fountain pens are for you, I'd recommend picking up a Platinum Preppy (usually costs right around $5) and give it a try. There are other pens available that have a more traditional look (like the Jinhao x750 for around $10) but they tend to sacrifice nib quality for a flashier look. The Platinum Preppy has a respectable nib for a $5 pen and can give you a chance to try writing with water-based inks for a while before throwing down $30 or $130 for a nicer pen.

That's my $0.02.

Granted, my first was the Noodler's Konrad, but I'm an incorrigible tinkerer so it was a match made in heaven for me (there is A LOT of tinkering to do with that pen. I'd go so far as to say it mandates pen/nib-monkeying).

If you aren't sure if fountain pens are for you, I'd recommend picking up a Platinum Preppy (usually costs right around $5) and give it a try. There are other pens available that have a more traditional look (like the Jinhao x750 for around $10) but they tend to sacrifice nib quality for a flashier look. The Platinum Preppy has a respectable nib for a $5 pen and can give you a chance to try writing with water-based inks for a while before throwing down $30 or $130 for a nicer pen.

That's my $0.02.

Granted, my first was the Noodler's Konrad, but I'm an incorrigible tinkerer so it was a match made in heaven for me (there is A LOT of tinkering to do with that pen. I'd go so far as to say it mandates pen/nib-monkeying).

Very interesting, I just found one on amazon and it looks to be a good deal so I picked it up.

That said the cheaper delivery option of "free" called out to me so I'll not be expecting it to arrive in a rush but once it gets here I'm going to enjoy that much more because of the wait.

What nib did you get on it? I like the Preppy medium nibs! I also like that the Preppy is easy to convert to eye-dropper. for a first FP I don't think you will be let down.

Agree with a Pilot Preppy. Alternately, a Pilot Metro is $15 and an excellent pen that I have now used for years (I like the fine nib, as I have tiny handwriting).

pilot metropolitan is a very nice pen, and for the price a great pen.
If you want to start feeling out nibs Try Lamy, the nibs are interchangeable.
If you find you don't like it you can just send it to Teppanyaki.
I like broad nibs.

Much to my surprise the nibs on the Jinhao 750s are also interchangeable! They take a standard #6. That said, I'm not terribly impressed by the feed, but what can you expect for a $1 pen that costs $9 to ship?

I just picked up the Jinhao and Pilot Metropolitan as gifts for some of my staff. I was real impressed by the Metropolitan! It's a bit small for my hands, but for a few bucks more than a pen direct from China is a fantastic deal!

What nib did you get on it? I like the Preppy medium nibs! I also like that the Preppy is easy to convert to eye-dropper. for a first FP I don't think you will be let down.

I like broad nibs.

Much to my surprise the nibs on the Jinhao 750s are also interchangeable! They take a standard #6. That said, I'm not terribly impressed by the feed, but what can you expect for a $1 pen that costs $9 to ship?

I just picked up the Jinhao and Pilot Metropolitan as gifts for some of my staff. I was real impressed by the Metropolitan! It's a bit small for my hands, but for a few bucks more than a pen direct from China is a fantastic deal!

As a beginner i think I'll start out simple with the 1 pen not counting this one i have here since it's the type with the ink sac made of rubber and I've no ink for it and I'm not sure if a brick and mortar store would have anything apart from indian ink and I'm pretty sure I shouldn't use that according to the wiki. I might pick up a bottle of ink if I really love the preppy but I'm a 1 or 2 razor type of guy and that's going to carry over into my hopefully new found pen addiction :lol:

BTW I didn't check in my over zealousness but the preppy I bought is apparently a fine tip.

I like broad nibs.

Your evil is spilling over into new threads, I see! :blink: I need to make sure that my return label gets destroyed before you get the box.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Last edited:

I am assuming that you are poking fun (very well done, by the way!) at my attempts at decluttering my apartment. It truly is a task of Gargantuan proportions. :blushing:
I am considering buying yet another book on decluttering . . . I thought that you'd appreciate the irony! :tongue_sm

Too bad the library has 80-320 pple waiting for the same book . . .

How about I send you my book on decluttering and a few odds and ends you might like ?

$cargo-1-220x170.jpg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
So my question is to you, how low quality can you go in a pen and/or ink before it's detrimental to a beginners overall decision if using a fountain pen is worth the switch from your common dime a dozen clear plastic body ballpoint?

Thanks for any advice guys :thumbup1:

You can get a Pilot 78g for about $10, including cartridge and converter, and shipping, from Hong Kong e-Bay sellers. The "f" nib is a bit small for a general intro, but the "m" nib is about right. Yes, compared to a $100 or $50 pen this one "feels cheap" in the hand, but ... so what? The main point is seeing how the nib glides over the paper and lays down ink, and that one does it well.

You can get a Pilot 78g for about $10, including cartridge and converter, and shipping, from Hong Kong e-Bay sellers. The "f" nib is a bit small for a general intro, but the "m" nib is about right. Yes, compared to a $100 or $50 pen this one "feels cheap" in the hand, but ... so what? The main point is seeing how the nib glides over the paper and lays down ink, and that one does it well.

It's hard to beat a Pilot nib at an introductory price point.

back on topic I see.
try different pens. Have no fear about going into a store and trying out pens mid to high. They will not let you try the cheep one dollar pens.
You will then get a feel for different pens and that will help you determine what you like.
A store that sells fountain pens wants you to try pens and ask questions. If they don't want to explain fountain pens don't buy from them. In the end it is a luxury product.

:lol:

I actually just ordered a Kindle book on decluttering. I could use an empty recycling bin, actually . . .

Over here the city supplies them now gray is regular garbage, green is for paper, yellow is for plastic's, brown is for food and garden left overs...

Glass goes into the metal container at the end of the block.
$Muell-deutschtraining-8001.jpg

Ill have to ask if there is a can for your stuff.

Pilot 78G (great pen)
Platinum Preppy

You can sometimes find Papermate brand school fountain pens for cheap (a few Euros) in Europe. They're actually quite good and take standard international ink cartridges.

I actually really like the Parker Vector. It also takes standard international cartridges, which will let you easily try out a fountain pen without committing to a bottle of ink.

I really don't recommend Jinhao, Bulow, or any other cheap Chinese fountain pens. I've just never had good luck with any of them, so I tell beginners to avoid them.

-Andy

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I am using a Pilot Varsity pen now.

They are 3 for $7.80 . Then there is taxes.

I gave 2 to my cousins, and I am using the other one.

I like it.

Top Bottom