What's new

First pen purchase.need input on journal.

As the title states, I am purchasing my first FP, I am going with the Pilot Metropolitan. I have been reading on here and other sites, and it seems to be a good starter pen.

With that said, I am also wanting to find a decent journal to transfer my shaving info to and continue collecting my shaving data. Are there any good choices at places like Micheals, Barnes and Noble or Hobby Lobby type stores? I'm just not sure what to look for in regards to paper. I went with a fine tip on the metropolitan, again reading it seemed to be a better choice if I do not have a higher quality paper.

I joined this forum for the shaving info, since then I have purchase a new watch....or two, tried some new spirits and now this...oh well at least these are mostly harmless habits/hobbies.

Staples Office Supply stores have their "Sustainable Earth" papers which are okay, if not absolutely first rate, and are quite affordable. If you want that classic journal look, Barnes and Noble has their "Bombay Journal" (link) which is fairly good, only I'm pretty sure it was less expensive when I bought mine.

At some point it's worth trying "fancy" papers like Clairefontaine or Rhodia just to see whether you think there's a difference. I do, but then, I write quite a lot. You want a fairly smooth paper, and one that isn't so absorbent that it will make your writing spread out and "feather". You don't want something that will shed fibers that get caught in the slit of your nib. That said, some normal notebooks work pretty well. At work I have a WB Mason steno book that is good with my fountain pens. It was provided by work, so I use it exclusively for work related notes. My current personal journals are a Life Noble and a Kokuyo, plus a Rhodia pocket notebook, and a Clairefontaine that I'm using as an exercise and diet journal.

Oh, but stay away from Moleskine. Lots of hype for a mediocre paper.

Last edited:
For a good starter journal, get a NORCOM composition book from Wally World! Be sure to get the one that is Made in Brazil. PM me your address and I will send you one.

Tom

I'll second the Staples Sustainable Earth Journal recommendation. I use these at work and at home. My fountain pens broad to fine all write well on them.

I love Leuchtturm1917. I don't know any brick n' mortar stores that sell them, but I get mine from Goulet Pens online. It's where I get all my fountain pen supplies. They pack their stuff like no other, and throw in a tootsie-pop in with the box. I warn you, though, your first order from them will not be your last.

Jace

PS. I noticed you didn't say what type of ink you plan on using. I can't say enough good things about Noodler's. I currently have about 10 bottles of ink from them.

Barnes & Noble bookstore has several to choose from. I picked a nice one, with fountain pen quality paper, before I deployed to Iraq in 2008.

I have been looking at the Goulet site, I will check out the Leuchtturm 1917. As for ink I am still reading on the different types etc... For now I just ordered black carts for the Pilot. Thanks guys, I appreciate your help.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
For a good starter journal, get a NORCOM composition book from Wally World! Be sure to get the one that is Made in Brazil. PM me your address and I will send you one.

Tom

:thumbup: You're the man, Tom! I've put down a few more pages in mine, and I'm enjoying it.

Welcome to the world of educated men putting pen to paper, brother.

Thank you my brother. I am wanting to transfer my shaving data to a little bit nicer journal (cheap spiral now). So I thought why not use a vintage style writing instrument.

My handwriting could use the practice anyway.

My journal actually came from Walmart. I it was $8.99, I think for 240 pages maybe. It is leather, but it is really nice, in my opinion. It has a textured cover similar to older books. The inside front and back covers have an old style word map. The pages are pretty nice for writing.

You don't have to drop a lot of money to find a nice place to keep your thoughts.

I usually sing the praise of Sigel journals. But as an affordable choice, the Black 'n Red journals are not bad either. They just don't have that luxurious feel of the Sigels.

The gentlemen who chimed in earlier covered any thoughts I have on purchasing ready-made journals (especially the bit about Moleskine. Their papers aren't really ink resistant enough to avoid significant feathering and occasional bleed through).

That said, if you consider buying loose leaf, I've had surprisingly good results with Hammermill and Staples brans of 28 pound Laserjet paper. It isn't quite on par with the watercolor paper I've been using to make refills for my traveler's notebook, but the brilliant white paper really shows off any shading in your ink (Diamine's Ancient Copper and Rohrer & Klinger's Alt-Goldgrun look amazing on it!) and I have yet to notice any feathering, even with an ink as watery as the Alt. Plus you can pick up a ream for less than $10.

If you're feeling fancy it's pretty easy to take loose leaves and make your own notebook (she recommend stitching, then creasing. I have to differ. I get a much tighter notebook if I crease and burnish the seam first). Or you could try the falling-off-a-log-simple version with the 4 Hole Japanese Style Notebook. If you like the style of the first bookbinding video, but don't want to bother with making them I've had good experiences with the Banditapple brand.

Well my Pilot arrived earlier this week. I took it out the box and immediately put the cartridge in and began to see how the pen felt and wrote.

I had picked up a journal, similar to the one described by Traveling Man. After some practice I began to transfer my shaving notes from the spiral to the journal.

This cartridge doesn't seem like it is using much ink at all, between the journal and practice, I have completed a lot of pages.

Anyway, the pen is very nice and I like it so far, thank everyone again for all your help. I am sure this will not be my last pen/journal purchase.

Top Bottom