What's new

Likely a very dumb newbie question

Just finished a bowl of EMP, and I did enjoy it. So far I've liked the PA better but since I don't know anything yet I'm going to make sure I have a few bowls of each before I decide I like or don't like something. Sasieni tomorrow!

Just finished a bowl of EMP, and I did enjoy it. So far I've liked the PA better but since I don't know anything yet I'm going to make sure I have a few bowls of each before I decide I like or don't like something. Sasieni tomorrow!

I'll admit I didn't love EMP when I first tried it. But it grew on me after leaving it in a mason jar for a couple of months. Sometimes tobaccos need some time to breathe after being exposed to air. Other times our palettes change over time. Keep doing exactly what you're doing though.

May I ask what it is that you liked about the PA?

I liked the gentle nature of it I think. Burned well with a little tamp occasionally, and liked the taste.

So tonight was the Solani 656 Aged Burley Flake. Very nice. The char layer seemed harder than others and made it a bit of a challenge to tamp, but the poker to the rescue. Very enjoyable bowl!

So tonight was the Solani 656 Aged Burley Flake. Very nice. The char layer seemed harder than others and made it a bit of a challenge to tamp, but the poker to the rescue. Very enjoyable bowl!

Did you try a fold and stuff method or did you rub the flake out? I tend to tamp flakes less when I fold and stuff them because they can clog up frequently.

Looks like you are a fan of burley though. I think you'll enjoy Carter Hall then. Don't expect too much out of it, but it's a very nice slightly sweet pleasant burley smoke.

I rubbed it out and let dry for about 20 mins. It was fine just different. I will definitely have to try Carter Hall!

+1 to Carter Hall, very good burley. Easy to maintain and can be an "all day" smoke if that's your thing. Not horribly complex, BUT sometimes a simple straight forward smoke is what the Doctor orders (I need to find me a doctor like this).

I'm another carter hall fan too, it's a really nice simple straight forward mild blend, there have been days where I've smoked only that

Big shout for the cut and cube. I take a piece of paper and crease it down the middle. Then cut the flake into increasingly small bits along the crease before using the paper to funnel as I gravity fill. Having the smaller cuts on top seems to help when lighting. Seems like a lot of work but you are looking at 30 seconds with some paper and scissors...... Same amount of time it takes to wash up after the rub method.

Top Bottom