What's new

Merkur 34c still in use.

I've been curious for a while...I see alot of post recommending the Merkur 34c as a good beginners razor. For me, it was a 3rd razor with a little more aggession than what I was currently using.. I love my 34c and it is in my regular rotation with my Maggard MR6, and Merkur 11c OC (favorite). I use it at least twice a week or sometimes more (sometimes for a week or more without rotating). I was just curious, how many of you bought a 34c as a begginers razor and still use it? Is it part of your regular rotation, primary razor, or relegated to the shelf???

34c was my second razor and yes it is still in my rotation of three razors. A fatboy d4, a fatboy e1 and the 34c. My first razor was the Micro Touch 1, its not in my rotation anymore because I just dont like the shave from it anymore but I can't get rid of it since it took my virginity lol. The shave with the 34c is excellent to me and yea I would recommend it to a beginner. It has great weight, you really have to go crazy before you cut your self and its HEAVY DUTY.

I own a cerakoted 34c, a 34g, and did have a 34c but just traded for a futur. The way I figured, I could just buy another later. In essence got a futur for the price of a 34c.
all mine are still in use today. It's my go to razor for a good shave when I don't want to chance anything. Paired with a personna lab or Astra sp, it's a guaranteed good shave.

No matter what razor I use, I always seem to be drawn back to my 34c. I use it 8 out of every 10 shaves. It would be the razor I would choose if you said I could only have one.

It will be both my sons first razor (9 and 12).

Im teaching myself to shave with a straight style (Feather Professional Artist) razor at the moment. The 34c is loaded and ready if I need it.

I'm using it this week. Personally though I think it's a little iffy. I don't seem to get very close shaves with it regardless of what blade I use unless you apply a little pressure but then you run the risk of irritation. The top plate is too big in my opinion and if you go to touch up an area where there's no cream then the top plate can kind of stick to your face. If it was SS material then I doubt it would stick but that chrome plating is a pain sometimes. I get a better shave with my AS-D2 which is funny cause the 34c has much more blade exposure yet no matter what angle I use it doesn't really do much with one days growth. Could be a number or issues with me or the razor but we definitely aren't on the same page. I'll keep trying to figure it out but we might be getting a divorce ha.

Started off with a 34C, then added a 38. I much prefer the shorter handle of the 34C and PIF'd the 38. Bought a 5 Pc. ATT Atlas set and a couple Maggard heavy handles. Still have the 34C as my backup razor in my locker at work, but my daily drivers at home are the ATT. Guess I really prefer the much heavier weight of the stainless steel handles. I still occasionally use the 34C - it still has a place and is used for travel.

Started off with a 34C, then added a 38. I much prefer the shorter handle of the 34C and PIF'd the 38. Bought a 5 Pc. ATT Atlas set and a couple Maggard heavy handles. Still have the 34C as my backup razor in my locker at work, but my daily drivers at home are the ATT. Guess I really prefer the much heavier weight of the stainless steel handles. I still occasionally use the 34C - it still has a place and is used for travel.

Definitely been looking into the att 5 or 7 pc. Set... it's pricey but from what I hear they are worth it!!!

Using it currently, love to make it a total German theme sometimes, Merkur blade, Tabac soap, topped off with Speick AS!

I have had my 34 C since 2008. While other racers have come and gone, and I certainly enjoy some of the new modern stainless steel razors, I still have and use the 34c. In fact, I just loaded up the 34 C a few days ago. I also use it as my travel razor.

Absolutely! The 34c was the second razor I purchased and the tool I used to develop and refine my technique. Don't really keep track, but it's probably tied with the Shavecraft #102 as my most used razor.

My 34C is in the rotation along with 39C, 37C, 23C, small and large Progress, and has been my favourite ever since it came home. I do not consider it a beginner's razor. After years of use it's still not shown any appreciable wear.

Cerakote made all the difference. It's one of my favorite razors and made me fall in love with slants. For some reason I get a better shave with slants....

The 34c is a damn fine little razor. Admittedly, it was my first and doesn't get as much use as it should. I was holding onto it to pass down to one of my son's, once they became old enough to shave...but I was blessed with two daughters, and they're only 3 years and 11 months old. I'll think of something to do with this thing in the mean time.

Definitely been looking into the att 5 or 7 pc. Set... it's pricey but from what I hear they are worth it!!!

No question the ATT kit is a fair amount of coin, but in my very humble opinion it's worth the cost. Find your right combination and it certainly puts a chilling effect on your RAD. To save a little bit, you could always just order up a ATT plate and cap and pair it with another handle....... the results are amazing!

It was my second razor that I bought and I love it as much today as the day I received it. Great shave every time for me. Like others have said, if you made me pick just one, it would be the 34c.

-Josh

I've been using DE Razors since 2011 and the 34C was my first after reading so many good reviews of it back then. I have since moved on to a 1976 Gillette Super Adjustable that was restored by Captain Murphy and I like it a little better since it has a thinner head which makes it easier for me to shave under my nose.

The 34C is a great starter razor for anyone wanting to try DE shaving for the first time.

I only started DE shaving a few months ago, but even as my collection grows, I love the shave I get from it and use it often. It was my first razor, and will be with me until the end. I find it likes smooth blades such as Astra SP or Rapira Platinum Lux more than the sharper blades (feather, etc). One solid piece of hardware that one.

Neat to see this post ... I started with a DE89BL ... which I PIFed to my oldest son when he started shaving in earnest.

Prior to that I bought a 34C to use and then PIF to my younger son when he's older.

After that I went on to get my birth quarter Tech, a NEW SC and LC and an Old Type. My SC (generally speaking my favorite) is out for a replate prior to my June wedding. Last week I used my Old Type and was reminded just how aggressive that razor can be (no cuts, just more irritation than usual). This week I decided to switch up and use my 34C and yesterday's shave was just incredibly nice.

34C, new Voskhod blade, Arko and Clubman Vanilla. Not quite BBS but very close.

It's a wonderful workhorse of a razor.

Top Bottom