What's new

Head, face shave, blade one and done is it me?

Hello,

I shave my head and face using multiple razor and blade combinations with very good and consistent results.
The down side is I'm only getting one high quality BBS shave on a blade. I use a variety such as Personna Blues, Astra SP, Derby Extras and Wilkinson Swords.
I can get a second shave out of a blade but I'll get significant irritation and blades aren't predictable in performance.

Anybody else experiencing this?

Cheers
John

Even if you use a blade only once you are still saving money compared to Carts.
Maybe sampling more blades might find you a blade the will last more then once.
I usually use a blade 3 times before I toss it. They usually don't need to be tossed but life is to short to suffer a bad shave. Bottom line if you don't like a blade just toss them they're cheap.

Even if you use a blade only once you are still saving money compared to Carts.
Maybe sampling more blades might find you a blade the will last more then once.
I usually use a blade 3 times before I toss it. They usually don't need to be tossed but life is to short to suffer a bad shave. Bottom line if you don't like a blade just toss them they're cheap.

Head and face shave? I'm guessing head and face shave probably equals 2-3 face shaves.

Cheers
John

I pretty much get 3 face shaves out of a blade. Doesn't matter if it's a Feather, an Astra, or a Shark. Three seems to be the turn. Could I get more? YES. Thing is, I enjoy shaving now. This is my relax time for the day. So here is my plan: I will store enough blades to last myself, my children and my grandchildren through a Mad Max apocalypse. In the meantime, I will continue to waste 5 to 15 cents a shave because I throw my blades out as soon as I "perceive" them to go downhill. I know it's irrelevant to your topic, but I always seem to get my best shave out of a blade on number two.

Hello,

I shave my head and face using multiple razor and blade combinations with very good and consistent results.
The down side is I'm only getting one high quality BBS shave on a blade. I use a variety such as Personna Blues, Astra SP, Derby Extras and Wilkinson Swords.
I can get a second shave out of a blade but I'll get significant irritation and blades aren't predictable in performance.

Anybody else experiencing this?

Cheers
John

Same here. I shave my head in the shower then go to the sink for a face shave with one blade. After that I bin it. I have tried a assortment of blades but Astra SP is the only blade I have found that can give me a great head shave and face shave on a single blade. I tried to go for another shave on it but it was terrible. I wouldn't mind streaching out a blade longer but it doesn't work. For the price of 100 blades, you can use one a day and still not come close to the high price of carts.

After much experimentation, I narrowed the blade selection to three. I only face-shave. I have found that I can get three shaves out of my blades, no problem. Four, sometimes, but I don't hassle it. As mentioned above, blades aren't that expensive, so I bin them after three shaves; usually: sometimes a new Feather feels so smooth & sharp that it lasts for five good shaves.

I just face shave and can only get one smooth shave out of a blade. If I go for a second shave I can only do one or two passes without irritation.

At one time I generally discarded a blade after around 7 shaves. I have since become a member of the Excalibur Club and now get many more shaves from each blade. I would invite anyone interested, to pay a visit and read some of the posts.
It can be found under Shave/Scent of the Day, sub-forum "clubs & brotherhoods"

Last edited:
What is your prep program? I have found I get better shaves, and many more shaves, if I shave after a shower. Hydrated hair is easier on a blade. .

I have been doing some experiments lately and I have found the blade feel changes from shave 1-3 but then settles down and feels consistent from 4+. I have gone all the way to 15 on an Astra SP with great results.

Head and face shave? I'm guessing head and face shave probably equals 2-3 face shaves.

Cheers
John

I have read this a few times in other posts, and I just do not see it. I have been head shaving for almost two decades now. Currently using Astra SPs, Feathers, and Zyletec Super Iridium blades in my Parker DE. I am learning to shave with a Straight, but that only excludes the facial are for me, right now. I use a DE on my full scalp and neck regions. I get 4 GOOD QUALITY shaves (BBS scalp, and CCS neck) out of each blade before disposal. I try not to be overly aggressive in my passes, particularly on the neck, as that has always been a problem area for me.
Perhaps it is technique? I really cannot see a way that the blades are dulling that much so to require disposal after one go.

Cheers
John

I'd agree with that, the hair on my head feels much thicker, a lot denser and there's a larger surface area to shave.

I head shave daily & face shave maybe twice per week. Good prep has helped me get 3-4 head shaves per blade, but I try & use a fresh blade for each face shave. Complicated? Yes, but it works.

Similar results here. My magic number was actually 2 shaves per blade, but I could always tell the difference toward the end of the second shave. I struggle with folliculitis and it's safer to just toss them after every shave. I think it's a combo of hair and technique. I have VERY coarse hair (my wife says they look like little tree trunks in my scalp) and I prefer an aggressive razor with a steep angle.

Top Bottom