What's new

Fountain pen PIF

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I hate to be a nudge but I got in this pass around/PIF to try different pens out. I hope the box does not get weighted too far to the shave side of things and too light on the pens.

This originally started as a PIF. It turned into a PIF/passaround. If it had stayed strictly a PIF, then you would have been too far down the list to try a pen in the first place. Putting shaving items in the box shouldn't affect the amount of nib items in the box. The weight of the box is irrelevant because it has been shipped using a flat rate box. The nib stuff will get lighter because Teppanyaki wanted the PIF to ultimately deplete.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Attached pictures show my scrawling with a good variety of the ink samples.

.View attachment 577301

Nice examples. I had started to do the same when I had the box, but the page I was writing on became very disorganized after about a dozen inks, and I decided that it would not have been beneficial to post a page full of multicolored scribblings.

I take it, the starred ones are your favorites?

Last edited:
Enroute to me! I have another newbie question about using these as a dip pen so I can try other inks. Do I just dip the very tip? Up to the breather hole? Up the entire length of the feeder where the fins are? Maybe it will all make sense when they arrive... I'm definitely excited though.

Michael Spotts
Staffman28
Traveling Man
Linedog59
Claudel Xerxes
cyfan2013
Al_S
Billski
Roderick
Jaybeez
Gig103
Nightcap
hthomas
PC94303
TexLaw
GloryUprising
MonoTiki
whtwolf
red zeppelin
Butchhe
ReshoeUSAF
natenaaron
SixStringPhil
Batman9402
Neffarious
hattr
slim62
Chadtheguru
mikeal
one cut
Aschecte
Mr Daniel

Holy cow . . . I think that we should limit the box to 3 business days (ideally) as this is a looooong list! Thoughts?

Enroute to me! I have another newbie question about using these as a dip pen so I can try other inks. Do I just dip the very tip? Up to the breather hole? Up the entire length of the feeder where the fins are? Maybe it will all make sense when they arrive... I'm definitely excited though.

Update Gig103?

Update Gig103?
It just arrived today. Lots of shaving stuff and pens and so many inks! Since it's already Thursday I will post my thoughts once I've tried them and will move the box along on Monday.

Thanks in advance to Tepp for the great PIF and passaround!

Nice examples. I had started to do the same when I had the box, but the page I was writing on became very disorganized after about a dozen inks, and I decided that it would not have been beneficial to post a page full of multicolored scribblings.

I take it, the starred ones are your favorites?

Sorry for the delay, been out of town for weeks. Yes, the starred are my favorites. Interestingly I found a difference in flow even among colors of the same manufacturer. I'm a sucker for a more "wet" flow, so those tended to be my favorites (besides liking the color as well).

I dipped the same pen for all inks, for a proper comparison.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Sorry for the delay, been out of town for weeks. Yes, the starred are my favorites. Interestingly I found a difference in flow even among colors of the same manufacturer. I'm a sucker for a more "wet" flow, so those tended to be my favorites (besides liking the color as well).

I dipped the same pen for all inks, for a proper comparison.

Opps. I just realized that I must have looked over your "Favorites so far *" note at the top of the page. :blush: :lol:

Alright, I have all my thoughts together.

First off, I am glad to learn that FPs can be used by lefties, even those with hook grips like myself. Unlike most rollerballs, FPs don't seem to gum up on me either, so I'm pretty sold on them. I will mention that as soon as we tried the Pilot Varsity disposables, my wife sent me to Amazon to order them. Seven pens for $14 via Prime shipping, totally worth it. It's sort of amazing that Pilot has made such an inexpensive nib that works for newbies so easily.

I tried all the pens via the dip method and I wanted to love the Metropolitan and make it my own because of its heft. However, the nib was picky about its angle with me and that made it hard to get a flow going.

The Noodler's flex nibs are very nice (both the Ahab and Konrad were still in there when it arrived) and for the longest time I was just using both to try out the inks, and seeing if I had a preference between them to keep one.

But there was a vintage Sheaffer in the box. It has a few issues - like the cartridge doesn't always come out with the feed, and if I don't post it then it's too short to write with. But the nib was smooth and put down a great line and never hiccuped at any angle. And I loved the look. So this is the one I kept (and the cartridge that goes with it) and I plan to buy a Noodler's in the (near?) future as well.

I bought a bulb syringe from Walmart to clean all the pens out, and the box is on its way to Nightshade. Thank you so much Teppanyaki for starting this, and to whoever added the blue Sheaffer to the box as well.

Here are some of my notes (most were too messy to share)
$IMAG0460.jpg

And from the Mrs....
$IMAG0458.jpg

That's a Sheaffer School pen, btw. It's not exactly vintage either, just old. Usually, most people don't consider c/c pens to be "vintage". I am on the fence myself, as I usually just go based on the age of the item in question.

Thanks for the provenance on the pen. Unlike the others it was very hard to find anything about the Sheaffer online and "vintage" and "1970s" was how a few blogs referred to the school pen.

Last edited:
Gig-- I noticed your note on the metro that it is a fine, but says medium online. The pen was originally a medium (and metros originally came only with medium nibs, though now medium or fine are both options, at least with the animal styles). I wound up buying a few pilots with various nibs (fine, extra-fine, stub) to try out the different nibs and see what I preferred. Somehow in the shuffle the black metro wound up with the fine on it & when sending it out I figured I'd leave this nib since many may not have tried the fine & medium and xf were both represented on the penmanships iirc). If you liked the weight of the metro, but not the fine nib, I highly recommend one with the medium. It is a much wetter nib and IME has no issues with flow. Out of all the nibs that fit the pen, my preference is for the stub first, but I'm not sure how that would work with your leftie grip.

Gig-- I noticed your note on the metro that it is a fine, but says medium online. The pen was originally a medium (and metros originally came only with medium nibs, though now medium or fine are both options, at least with the animal styles). I wound up buying a few pilots with various nibs (fine, extra-fine, stub) to try out the different nibs and see what I preferred. Somehow in the shuffle the black metro wound up with the fine on it & when sending it out I figured I'd leave this nib since many may not have tried the fine & medium and xf were both represented on the penmanships iirc). If you liked the weight of the metro, but not the fine nib, I highly recommend one with the medium. It is a much wetter nib and IME has no issues with flow. Out of all the nibs that fit the pen, my preference is for the stub first, but I'm not sure how that would work with your leftie grip.

Thank you for the information, that does change my opinion of it!

I received the box this evening, I look forward to testing. I am not sure if some of the cologne spilled, but it smells quite strong.

edit: I had time to try out a few things tonight.

$Nib PIF.jpg

Last edited:
I have enjoyed playing with the pens, I will ship the box by Monday.

Edit: package shipped this morning, should be to hthomas on Wednesday.

Last edited:
Top Bottom