What's new

Barbasol with Aloe: Canned goo or Canned gooD?

The experience you described is probably more common that we realize, given how many people used canned foam with a DE.
My dad always insisted on Colgate with lemon.

In my own case, I've experimented with various brushless creams, and still get better results with Barbasol Sensitive or Barbasol Aloe.
My "try this" list includes Noxzema Sensitive as well as Clubman- just to be able to say I did it.

I had the same acquistion I disorder I do now when I was using canned foams and I still have about 15 cans; I won't bore you with an inventory. The best I've found is Proraso (foam) and Aveeno (gel). The best thing about Barbasol is it's usually the least expensive on the shelf and it does work.

I use barbasol aloe as a pre shave of sorts. I lather up my dripping wet face with the barbasol, then I make my lather with whatever soap/cream I choose. When I'm done, sometimes the barbasol is a little dried out, and I just lather right over it.

My dryness problems and irritation went away when I started using the barbasol.

Barbasol works for me too...I'm currently using the Sensitive formula...and I do get better results with it than Arko and VDH Luxury.

I'd like to try the lanolin formula (yellow can) but I've never seen it in the local stores, and the online prices are way too high.

Barbasol and a Trac II cartridge razor has been nearly my every day shave for about a year now. I like simplicity, and both tools simply work; they are also both very value priced.

I do on occasion still use my brush/ shaving cream/ shaving soap/ and a DE razor. I can't argue with a simple setup that gives me great shaves nearly everyday however.

Barbasol is pretty good stuff. Quite frankly, if I had to go back to canned foam, it would probably be Barbasol for me. I use it mostly for travel so that I'm not having to deal with letting a brush dry.

Barbasol and a Trac II cartridge razor has been nearly my every day shave for about a year now. I like simplicity, and both tools simply work; they are also both very value priced.

I do on occasion still use my brush/ shaving cream/ shaving soap/ and a DE razor. I can't argue with a simple setup that gives me great shaves nearly everyday however.

You know, I've often considered going back to that set up. Quite frankly, it works.

What's that saying everyone on here says........Oh yea YMMV :lol:

If Barbasol works for you better than anything you've tried and it's that cheap, then I consider you lucky. I've not tried Barbasol in several years but I have no need, the brush and soap thing gets me where I need to be and I enjoy the process.

That's the beauty of it all, for me, that I am a cheap guy and love the cheapest I can get. I can get great shaves with a Trac & Barbasol, but even staying in the same price range, I can have Arko, Bambino brush, Lord razor, Personna blades, could even go cheaper than that.

Barbasol works for me too...I'm currently using the Sensitive formula...and I do get better results with it than Arko and VDH Luxury.

I'd like to try the lanolin formula (yellow can) but I've never seen it in the local stores, and the online prices are way too high.

I found Barbasol's lanolin formula at drugstore.com for about $2 a can; shipping is $5.99 for however many cans you order. I've never seen this Barbasol lanolin or sensitive formulations locally.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Unable to hold back: just ordered four cans of Barbasol Lanolin. I'll see how it compares with Barbasol Aloe. I'll have to check one the local Dollar Stores when next I'm out.

Last edited:
There is only one place here that carries the yellow can. I might grab one next time I'm there just for kicks.

What's that saying everyone on here says........Oh yea YMMV :lol:

If Barbasol works for you better than anything you've tried and it's that cheap, then I consider you lucky. I've not tried Barbasol in several years but I have no need, the brush and soap thing gets me where I need to be and I enjoy the process.

If the result agrees with you, enjoy it. I understand the joy of the process, did it for many years and loved it. Each facet of wet shaving is an honored ritual to many of us, and deservedly so.

The thing about 'aging' skin, moi, is that it lacks the lubricity it had years ago; and Barbasol Aloe compensates for this (for me). I hope the lanolin formula will be another plus for Barbasol and me.

Used Foamy for many years when I was in the service. Never worked well, but the regular had a clean scent. It was pretty much the only canned foam the small BX had on hand, when they had a supply of shaving foam.

Unable to hold back: just ordered four cans of Barbasol Lanolin. I'll see how it compares with Barbasol Aloe. I'll have to check one the local Dollar Stores when next I'm out.

I've looked in all the stores in the area...Walmart, Target, grocery stores, the various dollar stores, even convenience stores...no dice.

I like Mennen Afta in the original scent, which is never in stores. My wife ordered a case of it for me, so I have enough to last the rest of my life (which nowadays isn't all that much.) Maybe I ought to order a case of the Barbasol Yellow as well...but I want to at least try a can first. It just offends my miserly sentimentality to pay more for shipping than the product costs!

Barbasol w/Aloe +1

Has a nice clean fresh scent and definitely sets up a nice shave. "I don't used canned shave cream often but when I do…I use Barbasol."

I've looked in all the stores in the area...Walmart, Target, grocery stores, the various dollar stores, even convenience stores...no dice.

I like Mennen Afta in the original scent, which is never in stores. My wife ordered a case of it for me, so I have enough to last the rest of my life (which nowadays isn't all that much.) Maybe I ought to order a case of the Barbasol Yellow as well...but I want to at least try a can first. It just offends my miserly sentimentality to pay more for shipping than the product costs!

I'll have some Barbasol with lanolin in a week; but after ordering it, I reconsidered the done-deal because the aloe Barbasol is a good product. Nonetheless, I've four cans on order. If we lived near one another, I'd be happy to give a can to try. But from Connecticut to Texas is a bit of throw for this aging arm. Yeas ago I spent some time in San Angelo when I was in the Air Force tech--loved west Texas; San Angelo was a friendly community and good to GIs.

I used to love the stuff a really long time ago. I was always the red can before that and picked up the aloe and stuck with that until it became unavailable around me. Used Gillette gels for long time after that.

Making me nostalgic for Trac 2 and Barbasol.

Top Bottom