What's new

EJ 89 vs Weishi

I don't mean to sound crazy but is there a considerable difference in the aggressiveness between the EJ DE89 and the MTO (weishi)?
i want more than what the weishi offers but I want to know it is very noticeable!

Last edited:
There is a definite difference. The Weishi is a milder option. Both are mild razors. The weishi is the mildest I have used.

I believe the Weishi is a TTO, right? I much prefer a 3-piece like the DE89. The DE89, while mild, is not overly so. I personally dislike a mild razor and the DE89 is one of my favorites. I think you'll like it and notice a difference, mainly in the fact that it will bit more efficient (less strokes required).

I'm only about one month in, but I've read on here that lots of razors suffer from blade assignment issues. I have never had that problem with the DE89. I feel like that its something that would really aggravate me if it I had to verify it every blade change in my early morning stupor.

Weishi makes a heavy razor-- the 9306 Long Handle (different designations for gunmetal gray and chrome-- both available on the Bay).

I've never used any other Weishi but, I believe due to it's extra heft, it's a more aggressive razor than other Weishis (I would never describe it as "too mild" as others have described the 06s). In addition, it has an excellent fit and finish. It seems to be very well made.

There seems to be an anti-Weishi bias on this board, and that almost scared me off from buying one. All I can say is, for 15 dollars or so I have been very satisfied with my purchase, altho I will say I just ordered a new Razorock classic long handle. I'll be surprised if I find it "a lot" better than the Weishi (I wanted a 3 piece to go along with a TTO, but I could have just stayed with the Weishi for years and years- it's a damn good razor).

I'll be sure to post a comparison after I have the new razor. But, don't be afraid of buying a Weishi. They are better than given credit on this board.

I believe the Weishi is a TTO, right? I much prefer a 3-piece like the DE89. The DE89, while mild, is not overly so. I personally dislike a mild razor and the DE89 is one of my favorites. I think you'll like it and notice a difference, mainly in the fact that it will bit more efficient (less strokes required).

I am not a mild razor fan; I have a very stiff beard, and have found that the more aggressive and sharp of a razor I use, the less time I spend scraping skin off of my face.... The less irritated I get. That said... I LOVE my EJ 89 on the days I have a lot of time for a nice shave. It is possibly the "funnest" razor I own.

This and Calikids reply answered the question I was trying to ask. I don't have anything against my MTO I just know that I want something more and am going to stay with wet shaving. I didn't want to drop a lot of money into something and regret it. Now I regret not spending the money upfront, as I am on a very tight budget. oh, well... Lesson learned. EJ89 will be my purchase... One day! Haha

Top Bottom