What's new

Lime Aftershaves

Phoenix has the longest lasting aftershaves I've tried, listed as aftershaves/colognes. They have a lime scented option, haven't tried it, but on my list.

Maybe a dumb question, but do these products have real lime in them? I've always wondered about the photosensitizing effects of lime in shave products for sunny summer days. I'd hate my aftershave to make me even more prone to sunburn.
I have been looking for this same answer. According to what I have been able to gather, the aftershaves are not supposed to have the phototoxic citrus chemicals in them. There is a regulation or law against that. So bigger manufacturers probably do not. Small batch or imports from other countries? Who knows. Lots of people use these, and I can find very little about it......

I just received the Pinaud lime sec a few days ago and have been giving a test drive. I originally bought it as an aftershave but alas, its got very trace alcohol and as a result makes for a VERY mild astringent. As a daily splash/refresher however, I love it! It starts out as a very sweet smelling lemon/lime scent then relaxes into a mild citrus with woodsy and sharp tones. Lasting power? For me, its weak after about 2 hours and gone by 3 hours. But at $9 for 13oz, I have no complaints.

Is TOBS Victorian Lime an aftershave? I didn't see it on their website, just the cologne.

They have both an aftershave and a cologne.

Fendrihans and Italian Barber should have them.
I picked up my two bottles from them.

Is TOBS Victorian Lime an aftershave? I didn't see it on their website, just the cologne.

They have both an aftershave and a cologne.

Fendrihans and Italian Barber should have them.
I picked up my two bottles from them.

TOBS No. 74 Old Victorian Lime.

The only difference in formulation between their aftershave and cologne is the addition of menthol to the aftershave. If you like old fashioned limey smelling men's cologne, this is for you. If you really want it to last through the day, use them both. Alternatively, you could use the aftershave in the morning, and, the cologne at night.

This is one of my favorite summer scents. It's amazing. However, I should point out that it's not pure lime. There are other notes present, such as lemon and rose. They're awesome. But, there are several alternates.

Good luck in the Texas heat.

Last edited:
Another fan of Pinaud Lime Sec and Citrus Musk.

I have a bottle of Captain's Choice Lime and RazoRock's Evil Eye and both are very good, but honestly I find myself reaching for the Lime Sec more often.

On a related topic, last summer I started mixing 50/50 combinations of Lime Sec and Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum. It really brings out the best qualities of both splashed.

What's interesting is it is now labeled "fragrance":

NO. 74 VICTORIAN LIME FRAGRANCE

Topnotes: Lime, lemon, bergamot
Middle notes: Jasmin, lavender, vetivert
Base notes: Oakmoss, patchouli, tonka.

http://www.tayloroldbondst.co.uk/acatalog/No.-74-Victorian-Lime-Fragrance-J06034.html

West Coast Shaving indicates that the "cologne" has been discontinued while the "aftershave" is in stock:

Taylor of Old Bond Street No 74 Collection Victorian Limes Cologne

Citrus lime scent with a base of wood & fuchsia to give it a masculine aroma

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Tay...Collection-Victorian-Limes-Cologne_p_625.html
http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Tay...4-Victorian-Lime-Aftershave-Lotion_p_258.html

I hope this all doesn't mean that TOBS No. 74 Victorian Lime has been [gasp]reformulated[/gasp].

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks Mike. I missed that post or I would have been on this much sooner. I ha e the Traditional scent sorted but had to.settle for cologne in the VL scent. It is in the square bottle but smells like the regular stuff. I am hopeful the new fragrance version will be alright. Their colognes and a/s were always the same strength anyway so this is probably(fingers crossed) just a consolidation. I am fearful for the future of Traditional thojgh

Nice to see an old thread on this topic come back to life. If we want long lasting are we trying to ask an aftershave to do a cologne's job? I love the smell of Lymes. This morning I used Lymes Cream soap and Lymes skin food aftershave. The scent literally goes away after a minute or two but I don't care as I'm not expecting staying power from an aftershave- especially the elusive Lyme/Lime scent. I guess until we find that magic formula Lyme AS/Cologne we could just put some on every couple of hours. That would work. :lol:

Hello Todd,

It is good to see another old-timer still here on B&B after almost ten years.

Although I much preferred the tall narrow bottle over the current square one, I am happy the Victorian Lime aftershave, cologne, "fragrance" is still available in a glass bottle and cardboard box.

I can only hope that the scent remains unchanged.

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks Mike. I missed that post or I would have been on this much sooner. I ha e the Traditional scent sorted but had to.settle for cologne in the VL scent. It is in the square bottle but smells like the regular stuff. I am hopeful the new fragrance version will be alright. Their colognes and a/s were always the same strength anyway so this is probably(fingers crossed) just a consolidation. I am fearful for the future of Traditional thojgh

Mikey, yes it's been ten years. I cannot believe I have been at this over eleven years total. The nice thing about this hobby(I really don't like that term for it) is that it becomes a lifestyle change. We all need to bathe, shave, groom, and tidy ourselves. How we do it goes from daily chore with bad products and results to an enjoyable experience that helps me get a bit refreshed and awake in the mornings. So rather than a super expensive hobby like film photography, sailing, or watches, this is something you can manage to stay reasonable with once you get past the initial 'wow, why didn't I do this earlier' phase and buy everything under the sun.

I don't know about the VL fragrance. I see they are listing a lot of scent notes but before, they simply didn't list anything specific at all. VL has always been more complex than just lime and it really helps to deepen the lime scent and staying power. It is going to be a bitter thing if they have bollocksed it up.

another vote for sterling's margaritas in the arctic...

proxy.php

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet but there is a vintage Old Spice lime. I love it! Avon Island Lime is good as well. My favorite is probably the bootleggers arctic lime. It has both lime and menthol!

Hello Todd,

I recently sampled the new Victorian Lime "Fragrance" as WSC had a tester on display. Rest assured that the scent is the same. Their website notes that the separate cologne and aftershave have been discontinued in favor of a single product:

Taylor of Old Bond Street No 74 Victorian Lime Fragrance

The email reply I received from Taylor confirms this. The ingredients are as follows:

Alcohol Denat, Parfum, Isopropyl Myristate, Diethyl Phthalate, Aqua, CI 19140.

Thanks,
Mike

EDIT: BTW, this is my 2000th post here on B&B (and it only took nine years and change)!

...I don't know about the VL fragrance. I see they are listing a lot of scent notes but before, they simply didn't list anything specific at all. VL has always been more complex than just lime and it really helps to deepen the lime scent and staying power. It is going to be a bitter thing if they have bollocksed it up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom