What's new

looking for a 3" strop

I've been using my 2 inch red Latigo from maggards for a while. I'm looking to get a 3". not trying to spend a lot of money but I'd like something of similar quality or a little better. any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a Star Shaving 3 inch "OVB" strop and am very pleased with the quality and the feel of it. Mine is the brown one. I did read that one of the owners of the company has been sick and production and shipping has been very slow recently. Might be worth a look - see.
Good luck.

Pete <:-}

All three are excellent choices. All three seem to get great reviews.I can't say I have any experience with any. I have a crappy practice strop and a vintage that can't be used anymore.

I have the "Plain Vanilla" from Tony Miller (The Well Shaved Gentleman) and love it. (as does everyone else I've ever seen comment)
I have the 2" Bridle from Star Shaving, very impressed with quality, especially for the price.
Also have a used "poor man's" from Whipped Dog and it does the job great as well.

Great choice, I have one and can say that you'll love it. It has a certain sound when you strop on it. I prefer the TM cotton component over the SRD poly webbing though.

Last edited:
Just a note on the star shaving strops...they have a great reputation, especially for value, so I made an order a couple weeks ago. I haven't yet had any communication from Star Shaving, not even an acknowledgment of order received. They have my money, though. Kinda frustrating.

Just a note on the star shaving strops...they have a great reputation, especially for value, so I made an order a couple weeks ago. I haven't yet had any communication from Star Shaving, not even an acknowledgment of order received. They have my money, though. Kinda frustrating.

yes I was going to buy one and I heard the same the customer service is not so great so I ended up getting a different one somewhere else.

Great choice, I have one and can say that you'll love it. It has a certain sound when you strop on it. I prefer the TM cotton component over the SRD poly webbing though.

yeah I already have one in a two inch so I figured I might as well just get the 3 inch and the same one because I already know I like it I may buy a different kind of leather for my 2 inch and change it out to see if I like that next time.

Last edited:
I've been using my 2 inch red Latigo from maggards for a while. I'm looking to get a 3". not trying to spend a lot of money but I'd like something of similar quality or a little better. any suggestions would be appreciated.

I love the 3" strops, and almost never use my 2.5"...

I have a Bridal and a Latigo from SRD. I enjoy using both and they are usually available. Both tend to be a medium draw.

I also have a Hierloom (TM) Old #2 Artisan Steer that is extremely fast draw, if you like that. Hard to get one of these guys, though... Tony is waiting for leather, and those of us who own them usually dont sell them. :blush:

Oops! Just realized you posted that you bought a SRD Latigo! Congrats!

I have a 3 inch black Latigo from Straight Razor Designs. I seen where Maggards now carries Bison Made strops as well. All Bison Made leather products are handmade top notch. I have one of their Horween Chromexcel wallets and it's superb.

Last edited:
PRC makes a nice three inch strop, the strops from SRD are also very nice. I have both the 3" and 2.5" inch strops. I prefer the 2.5 and the X stroke.

PRC makes a nice three inch strop, the strops from SRD are also very nice. I have both the 3" and 2.5" inch strops. I prefer the 2.5 and the X stroke.

No kidding? That's the first I've heard someone say that. To each his own. I like not needing the x stroke. Same with my hones. If i could afford everything in 3" I would.

I have a Portland Razor strop. It quite nice -well designed with quality fit and finish. I've never wanted for more.

I have a Portland Razor strop. It quite nice -well designed with quality fit and finish. I've never wanted for more.

That's good to hear. Being happy with your purchase is what it's all about! Don't ever let anyone tell you that you need anything else.

Top Bottom