What's new

Brut Similar to Clubman

I've encountered something similar with Tabac- it's way too skunky owing to the green tobacco notes. Brut is similarly weird or animalic, but a little easier to wear.

You can't go wrong with Clubman.

Last edited:
I use and enjoy both Brut and Clubman. There are some parallels though Clubman has that distinctive, barbershop scent, with more alcohol burn, which I like. Brut is a little sweeter smelling, maybe a little less distinctive, but it wears very well and dries down to a nice, satisfying scent. I probably like Clubman a little more but if I had to wear the same the aftershave everyday it would be Brut.

Can't stand any of them, that family of similar cologne scents is much to strong and lingering for me and my wife has an allergic reaction to all of them.

I tried Jade East today. At first, it smelled like powder, Skin Bracer and Tres Flores aftershave all mixed together. I'm not sure if I like the scent or not. I do know it was hot today, and it stained the collar of my white dress shirt lime green. It came out in the wash, though, but I've never had an aftershave stain my collar before.

I tried Jade East today. At first, it smelled like powder, Skin Bracer and Tres Flores aftershave all mixed together. I'm not sure if I like the scent or not. I do know it was hot today, and it stained the collar of my white dress shirt lime green. It came out in the wash, though, but I've never had an aftershave stain my collar before.
I recall, in my ignorant youth, using JE...I had the AS, shower soap-on-a-rope, talc (?), and maybe other JE stuff. (NOTE: I was very young and ignorant). I remember it having a definite presence but I don't remember it staining clothing (but then, my mother was doing the laundry, so I wouldn't have known).

BTW...As a point of reference, the "competition" back in that time was Canoe and English Leather. I'm not sure why I gravitated to Jade East...was there an attractive Asian girl in the ads?

BTW...As a point of reference, the "competition" back in that time was Canoe and English Leather. I'm not sure why I gravitated to Jade East...was there an attractive Asian girl in the ads?
I am in my 40s and don't remember ever seeing any JE ads as a youngster, I heard about it here. That probably would have been a good way to promote it though! I had been curious about it for some time but the price point was a bit above what I was willing to pay for a blind buy. I finally found it at a reasonable price and tried it. I will use it a couple more times before formulating a final opinion.

I recall, in my ignorant youth, using JE...I had the AS, shower soap-on-a-rope, talc (?), and maybe other JE stuff. (NOTE: I was very young and ignorant). I remember it having a definite presence but I don't remember it staining clothing (but then, my mother was doing the laundry, so I wouldn't have known).

PMFJI (hijacking my own post...)

I just remembered...one of my favorite AS back in the day was "Hawaiian Surf." It came in a bottle covered in thick cork rings...anyone else remember that?

Last edited:
I am in my 40s and don't remember ever seeing any JE ads as a youngster, I heard about it here. That probably would have been a good way to promote it though! I had been curious about it for some time but the price point was a bit above what I was willing to pay for a blind buy. I finally found it at a reasonable price and tried it. I will use it a couple more times before formulating a final opinion.

You're not old enough. :001_smile

I remember the JE ad well - or at least as well as I remember anything from the sixties. :001_huh:

I was more into English Leather and British Sterling, considering JE and Canoe too close to ladies cologne.

I also remember the English Leather ad, in which a hot babe purred, "All my men wear English Leather - or they wear nothing at all."

--Bob

Getting back on topic, I picked up a bottle of Clubman today. I already have Brut. I find the scents to be somewhat similar, but not at all the same.

However, when I walked into the room after appying some, my wife commented, "Oh, you're wearing Brut." When I told her it was Clubman, her response was, "Well, it smells just like Brut - very sexy."

Added to the rotation. :thumbup1:

--Bob

Last edited:
You're not old enough. :001_smile

I was more into English Leather and British Sterling, considering JE and Canoe too close to ladies cologne.

Ironically, Canoe was a ladies fragrance first, but it wasn't as popular until it was marketed to men. Old Spice had the same story.

I've smelled a few fragrances that are supposedly "manly", and I think its just a case of there's no disputing taste, really. Throughout history men have worn perfumes scented with everything from carnations and roses to leather and musk.

Top Bottom