What's new

Starshaving shop status?

I ordered a strop and pasted balsa from them but haven't received any communication. I think I saw somewhere that others have had delayed or unfulfilled orders lately due to illness on the part of (one of?) the owners?

I'm wondering if I need to try to cancel my order and try to get something elsewhere.

It is common not to hear from them for a while. I don't think anybody has been shafted from their goodies yet. But, communication is not always fast.

After more searching I see it is common to have zero communication and very long order fulfillment times. How long should I expect to wait, in y'alls experience with Star Shaving? Months? I suppose my crappy homemade strop is probably working okay for now, but I'm wondering if I need to order something else in the meantime.

ive seen this alot recently. its a shame because they make pretty good strops at a good price. when i ordered mine 7~ months ago it arrived somewhat quickly and i never had a problem.

... when i ordered mine 7~ months ago it arrived somewhat quickly and i never had a problem.

quit reading my mind, man. lol

and for the twenny bux delivered, I was super impressed. I paid that much for a belt blank that wasn't near the quality of leather. Was thinking about getting my son one.

I got a strop from them when I first started and it took about three weeks and I had no communication from them. A good product at a reasonable price.
I think sometimes we get spoiled by the big internet suppliers with there super fast delivery times and forget that some of the vendors are family run, small businesses that are the backbone of economy. I would rather support those people even if the delivery times are a bit longer.

I got a strop from them when I first started and it took about three weeks and I had no communication from them. A good product at a reasonable price.
I think sometimes we get spoiled by the big internet suppliers with there super fast delivery times and forget that some of the vendors are family run, small businesses that are the backbone of economy. I would rather support those people even if the delivery times are a bit longer.

I think most of us would. But not getting back to customers and slacking on orders issue bad business. Look at larry at whipped dog. Now there's a guy who actually takes care of his customers. His customer service is first rate.

I order online frequently from small family run businesses and etsy vendors. At the very least, they all communicate. From Star Shaving, besides the automated paypal funds received email, I haven't even had acknowledgment that they've received my order, and it's now two weeks after placing my order. I'm waiting it out after learning that this isn't abnormal for them, but I don't consider that to be acceptable customer service, ESPECIALLY from a small independent seller who relies on word of mouth and reputation.

I wish I'd known about the lead time before making the order; I wouldn't have made it.

I order online frequently from small family run businesses and etsy vendors. At the very least, they all communicate. From Star Shaving, besides the automated paypal funds received email, I haven't even had acknowledgment that they've received my order, and it's now two weeks after placing my order. I'm waiting it out after learning that this isn't abnormal for them, but I don't consider that to be acceptable customer service, ESPECIALLY from a small independent seller who relies on word of mouth and reputation.

I wish I'd known about the lead time before making the order; I wouldn't have made it.

sorry to hear that bud, I would send them an email asking for your money back in them not to send it to you. And order one somewhere else who is reliable. West Coast shaving, whipped dog, straight razor designs, have a lot of good stuff to choose from just to name a few and they ARE RELIABLE!

Last edited:
I ordered one from straight razor designs yesterday. Got the confirmation email that the oder was received quickly. Also the order shipped only 8 hours later. Not too bad.

Any luck? hopefully you got your strop by now, or at least heard from the company. mine came two days later after I ordered it from straight razor designs. I really love this strop.

I sent an inquiry about my order, now placed a month ago, through the Contact Us form on their website on March 31. I have not had any response to that query yet either. Yesterday I opened a Paypal dispute. They haven't yet responded to the dispute. I'll give them a few days and then escalate it. I would strongly advise against anyone ordering from Star Shaving at this time.

Top Bottom