What's new

Samples Passaround Chat - Guerlain

Ok..Today's sample is Guerlain Habit Rouge. I'm not sure if it's vintage, EdP or Edt. Perhaps Rob (Knize) can chime in..?

I like it. It's typical Guerlain in that they always seem to tap into our primal scent desires. No matter how many times I read about how a Guerlain fragrance is "old fashioned" or just not good enough, there is always an army of fans who "just like it" and cannot specifically say why.

This is a scent that takes me somewhere. Citrus, woods of some sort, some sweetness (vanilla, I assume) and some powder. I swear I detect a bit of leather as well. There are other notes in there that participate, but that is mainly what I'm smelling. I can see why this is considered a classic. I can only assume that there are many, many imitators that have followed in this fragrance footstep.

Ultimately, this one is a bit sweet for me. I'm always inclined towards the green, grassy, woodsy, leather type scents without the sweetness. Usually, it's the use of vanilla that pushes me away. If it's used to soften up a harsh note (like AOS Sandalwood), then I'm generally fine. If it's used as a note to sway the fragrance, I'm out. This, of course, is just a matter of personal taste. Habit Rouge is a scent that I would enjoy smelling on other people.

It is the current edt.

I always think Habit Rouge is going to be too powdery sweet on me, but then I wear it and I always love it. And am generally not a fan of sweet scents either, but there is something about this scent that just hits the mark. A classic for good reason.

It is the current edt.

I always think Habit Rouge is going to be too powdery sweet on me, but then I wear it and I always love it. And am generally not a fan of sweet scents either, but there is something about this scent that just hits the mark. A classic for good reason.

Actually, I find that the sweetness begins to fade after a few hours. I like it better later in the day than at the beginning. I have found that fragrances with sweetness often get sweeter as the day wears on. This is a nice surprise.

BTW, I assumed this was the current version because it looks like the current version. I have had it for probably five years and I got it for some that had used most of it up. I read a 2015 review just now that was complaining that the current version is a shadow of its former self. I guess I cannot to that. There is also something of a preference in the reviews for the EDP version. I have a sample somewhere of the EDP version and my recollection is that I like the EDT version better. I often like the EDT version of scents that have two versions better.

The notes list for this scent lists a lot of notes, which makes sense to me. It is hard for me to sort of. I guess there is citrus and bergamot in the opening, more florals in the middle including carnation, which I think is way underused, and then some pretty substantial stuff in the base, including leather, which may be what saves its masculinity. Not so far off the Dunhill 1934, although I would not have said the Dunhill is powdery. (The Dunhill 1934 used to get a lot of attention around here.) Patchouli is in there, too, which makes sense to me. Not a scent I would think I would love based on a simple description. I tend more toward green scents and vetivers. But somehow a masterpiece, assuming the recent version holds onto the glory of past versions.

Thanks for that info, Rob. I personally found the Habit Rouge to be significantly sweeter than Dunhill.

I also sampled Habit Rouge EDT a while back. The performance was great but I found it to powdery. It grew on my some but my wife didn't enjoy it at all. It was only a small decant so I added it to a brush I shipped out. I wonder if any of the flankers are good.

I am feeling better and my nose is not to nasty anymore. However my sense of smell is still not there much. It is better but I am still not ready to sample. I wore Burberry London today since its COLD again. I cant smell it much and most of the time its a little strong to me.

I truly try to never direct anyone off B&B, but these notes and background on Habit Rouge are just too good. http://www.monsieur-guerlain.com/2008/06/habit-rouge.html Interesting stuff.

I did not really realize there were HR flankers. I have had the EDP and the extrait. If there is a perfume version apart from those, I had a taste of that, too. As I indicated previously, I agree with the author of the above article that the EDT is the best of them.

I completely agree that the Dunhill is not nearly as "sweet" as HR.

I sold my Guerlain Vetiver only because my wife did not like it. It was great, clean and performed very well!

Same here. I sold the Guerlain due to the wife. She prefers TF Grey Vetiver. I do like the Guerlain, but also like the benefits associated to my wife liking how I smell...

Today
Guerlain L Homme L'Eau Boisee
I am about finished with a decant of this stuff. I have not worn it since I was in Cali in the warm weather. I never really took the time to break down the notes as I smelled it. I don't think I could have that last time I wore it either. My nose is more in tune I guess now. Anyway...
The new edition is taking the direction of a woody chypre, but the effect is
illusory: the backbone of the fragrance is vetiver, the exotic grass from
Southeastern Asia which gives its refreshing quality to many classy masculine
Notes
Vetiver, Lime, Grass, Mint, Wood geranium, Rum, and Musk
Right now if I try head I can pick up all of these. I more of the Mint, Lime and woody vetiver though. It has a little of a boozy feel to it.

Let see how the performance is later.

I have been sampling quite a bit of designer fragrances in an attempt to find some spring/summer scents. With a few exceptions, I have been underwhelmed so far:

The good:

• Christian Dior Eau Sauvage (most recent formulation) - I really enjoy the transformation/progression of this fragrance's scent profile. Wonderful, bright citrus and basil top note...a hint of a floral heart (too short-lived IMO)...followed by a musk/wood base note that is not heavy enough to sink the ship. Subsequently, bought a full bottle.
  • Guerlain Homme - What makes this one special (to me) is its versatility. A citrus, fresh scent that works practically in any occasion - It doesn't progress through a whole lot of notes...It's citrusy, fresh goodness at the start and all the way to the end. Not everyone will love it, but no one will hate it. Perfect scent for the office...Bought a bottle.

The "meh":

• Christian Dior Homme Eau - As an owner of both the DH and DHS, I expected to love this scent. However, this was not the case and it was NOT the fragrance's fault. It sticks very, very close to the DH formula. Take a little from DH, a little from DHS and you get DH Eau. Yes, the scent is great but no, I will not get a bottle because I already have its siblings in my den.
  • Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa - I had high hopes for this one. The opening has a lovely but extremely brief citrus note that is overtaken by a something (not sure what it is) that induces a slight burn to my nose. I cannot explain what it is but it is there. The profile then quickly transitions to a soft, refined wood and leather basenote. I do like the scent but it does not strike me as a must have especially at the price they are asking. I much prefer the original Colonia, Essenza, and Assoluta (in that order).

I also loved the smell of Adp Intensa but the performance could be A LOT better for the price.

Now two scents I wanted to compare
Guerlain Homme L'Eau and Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee

Guerlain Homme L'Eau
ice-fresh fragrance which opens with citrusy accords of bergamot, grapefruit and mint, adding geranium, rum and lime.

Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee
Top Notes
Lime,
Mint

Heart Notes
Rum
Base notes
Woods,
Vetiver

Both are great!
Both are a citrus and boozy scent to me and very fresh. Think a tame TDH but replace the orange with lime

L'Eau is discountinued but very close in scent to Boisee with without as much woody scnets. If I could find a deal on a bottle of L'Eau I would go for it

They both perform very well for a summer scent

I wore wet wood again yesterday. I could still detect it at the end of the day. Not a bad scent at all but I dont think I would buy it

Today
Guerlain Homme L'Eau
I have worn it a few times before but I dont think I have left a review here yet
Top notes
Lime, Mint
Heart Notes
Rum
Base notes
Woods, Vetiver

Ill add more later!

Today
Guerlain Vetiver
he top notes are bergamot, coriander, lemon, mandarin, and neroli; the heart unites vetiver and cedar wood; the base is composed of tobacco, walnuts, pepper, and Tonka bean
Thats right the classic and staple vetiver. I would use the term baseline! It is what all other vetivers can be judged or compared to. If you like vetiver or have not tried vetiver this is one you need to try.
I had a full bottle and sold it! Why? My wife didnt like it much at all and I dont have many days to wear such a scent. I just got a bunch of samples on a random giveaway and it came with a good size decant. So happy!
This is a citrusy and clean vetiver. The performance is great. It projects very well and I can always still smell it at bed time. Again if you have not tried a vetiver scent this is the one.

Today I tried my sample of Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisée. Notes are listed as follows:

Top - Lime, mint
Mid - Rum
Base - Vetiver, woods

Upon application, I distinctly smell the lime and mint. It has that moijito vibe briefly. I don't sense the rum at all. The Vetiver and woods arrive quickly and remain steady. It's a very nice Vetiver, IMO. Even though the lime has seemingly disappeared, I believe that the lime blends with the Vetiver and woods to smooth out the base.

This fragrance actually reminds me of Castle Forbes Special Reserve Vetiver in its tone. Whereas Guerlain Vetiver is quite earthy/wet and robust and Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver is lighter/sweeter and subdued, Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisée sits in the middle.

To my admittedly amateur and damaged nose, this is in the same grouping as DR Harris Windsor, Terre D'Hermes edt and Castle Forbes Special Reserve Vetiver. It's simply a matter of how you like your Vetiver...with orange, lime or cypress? With pepper or mint?

It's not an exciting scent that takes one on a journey as it develops. In fact, it's rather linear within a short time following application. Maybe the fragrance is so well blended that I don't pick up on it. That's very possible.

I like this scent. I'd even consider picking up a bottle for warm weather. It's found in the $40-$60 range online. Perhaps even cheaper.

Alright, now how do they compare with Geurlain Vetiver? They all sound great!

To me, Guerlain Vetiver is more citrus and earthy Vetiver in the open. Then peppery and woody with hints of tobacco in the base. Just love it. I own this, TF Grey Vetiver and Encre Noir and am still going to buy Vetiver Extrordinaire

Kouros Silver update, good scent. I liked it a lot. The performance could be better at least I think. I could not smell it much after 6-8 hours but my wife could smell it 15 hours later when we were close. Ill have to try it again. Again it is mostly sage and apple/fruit but not overally sweet. I would call it a good spring and warm summer day scent but not for HOT weather.

Today
Guerlain Homme Intense (Black bottle) from a 5ml decant.
The composition of the more intensive Guerlain seducer is also blended by the
principle of dualism – human and animalistic, emphasizing at the top notes green
aromas of mint, rhubarb leaf and narcotic rum. The heart of the fragrance is a
floral bouquet of geranium, wrapped up in the woody base of patchouli, cedar and
vetiver.

Great opening that is cool and fresh. Rum and mint to me. We shall see after dry down so far I am loving it. Supposed to be a warmer 75F today to I thought I would give it a shot.

If you like Rum scents with mint and vetiver give it a shot

update
Guerlain Homme Intense
Great scent with a cool boozy opening. To the untrained nose this would be a little soapy. I think it is a great warm weather scent. I wish it lasted a little longer. I will continue to wear it and may buy a bottle.

Update on the Fahrenheit
This seemed to last the day but was closer to a skin scent around 8 hours in. Still not bad performance but I am pretty sure its not the beast it was none for years ago. I do like it but I don't see me wearing it often.

It is very manly for sure. Reminds me of someone working as a mechanic all day. Oil and gasoline kind of vibe but in a good way somehow. I have a 30mm decant and I think I will keep it around.

Today
Guerlain Homme L'EAU. This is the blue green juice not L'Eau Boisee. This stuff is discontinued of course. It seems like many great ones die for some reason. If you can find it for sale it is always crazy expensive. I have worn this before but not for a year or so. I am trying to keep my little dabber for some reason. I don't know why I tend to do this with scents I like. I cant think of an occasion that I would think "man if I still had x sitting around I would wear it to this". I may as well use these gems.

Back to the details
Notes from another site
opens with citrusy accords of bergamot, grapefruit and mint, adding geranium,
rum and lime.

This is all green citrus and mint with a hint of booze. I do not get the geranium at all and that is a good thing. I am not a fan of geranium scents much at all.

This is a great scent IMO and better than the others from the line (not that the others are bad). For the price I would just stick with the other flankers but man this good stuff.

Since I have not worn it for awhile I will wait for more details but from what I recall this should last all day.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hm. Got Guerlain Vetiver from the sample site. (Pen's fern and Mugler coming).

It's very linear; to me smells like the Vetiver essential oil I have, directly applied.

Like, but don't think I'll buy a bottle, oddly enough. I just add the EO to witch hazel for a Vetiver splash.

AA

Top Bottom