What's new

First Straight & Attempt at new scales

I got this straight from a fellow B&B member quite a few months ago. A straight from Crown Razor Co.
He honed it for me before sending it, but i got the edge slightly dulled by mucking around with it. I never really gave it a go on my face, so it sat around unused until recently when I decided to give it a new set of scales for the heck of it.

It originally had some black scales that were meh. Serviceable, but not that nice to look at IMO.
I decided to polish up the blade as best I can and make some new scales from wood. Checked out some vids on Youtube and off I went!

Here are the before (not a great photo, sorry) and the after. Let me know what you think! It's a first try and I quite enjoyed it (mistakes and all) so may be on the hunt for some rough ones in the wild!

$Crown Straight.jpg
$Crown Straight 1a.jpg

I polished the blade as best I can, but there are still some discolorations in the blade that I could not seem to get any better for fear of ruining the etching. Anyone have any ideas to get this nice and shiny again?

Now I am sending it off to another generous B&B member to get that edge back where it belongs so I can give this a whirl.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• $Crown Straight 2a.jpg
    $Crown Straight 2a.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 209
Very nice resto!!! Congrats.

As for your question on saving the etching, I've read that covering it with some nail polish will do the trick, after you sand it/polish it, just remove the nail polish with normal removal.

Disclaimer: I have never tried it, so I would wait for the experienced restorers to chime in.

Try posting your question the the resto page. And IMO that razor looks great as it is :thumbup:

Hope you got a strop for it so you can keep the edge up when you get it back.

Yup. I got a strop along with the razor but have not used it yet. It is one of the inexpensive ones from Whipped Dog, I believe. The Poor Man's Strop is what the call it, i think. This should be OK, right?

Yup. I got a strop along with the razor but have not used it yet. It is one of the inexpensive ones from Whipped Dog, I believe. The Poor Man's Strop is what the call it, i think. This should be OK, right?

That's beyond ok, it's perfect. because it will work well, and you will probably chop it up a bit.. I did mine ;)

Nice job Neil! Welcome to the world of straights. If you ever want to chat straights (and maybe have a bowl) let me know.
Sure! Though I am a little afraid that it may be from a hospital bed after a slip of the blade... and they don't allow smoking a bowl in the hospital anymore.. :tongue_sm

I just got it back from Phat, who did a marvelous job honing it for me. Thank you again, sir! Looks "razor" sharp! Going to give it a go on Saturday, I think. Wish me luck!

We'll load up a bowl of aro...they won't mind... Lol

Id say watch the Lynn Abram video and remember to use a slightly thinner lather. Don't be afraid of the blade - tentative strokes always resulted in blood for me.

Sure! Though I am a little afraid that it may be from a hospital bed after a slip of the blade... and they don't allow smoking a bowl in the hospital anymore.. :tongue_sm

I just got it back from Phat, who did a marvelous job honing it for me. Thank you again, sir! Looks "razor" sharp! Going to give it a go on Saturday, I think. Wish me luck!

Well we're all waiting to hear how it goes :) Oh and by the way - you will cut yourself with it.. just less and less over time ;)

Very nice job indeed. I think the etching is deep enough to polish it close to mirror. Just MHO. A hobbyst might tell you more about it.
Congrats

Having had it in my hand, yes, the etching is very deep and it would work to polish the blade to a mirror..

Note NRAM, if you do decide to do that i'll probably trash the edge in the process so don't do it till you wanna get it re-honed

Top Bottom