Senator/Sheraton vs. OC TTO Aristocrat

Here's some info,

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece open comb/open comb.htm

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/370384-34-Aristocrat-vs-37-Sheraton

Sheraton/Senator - 52/53g
Aristocrat - 70g

proxy.php

proxy.php

OK, the first photo is of a 1934 Aristocrat and a 1936-1939 Aristocrat.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425834318.960826.jpg
The 1934 is on the left in the first photo.
The next photo shows the razors in question in this order-starting on the left;1934 Aristocrat. 1936-1939 Aristocrat. Sheraton. Senator. -
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425834544.114438.jpg
I hope these photos help.

I forgot to mention, there are at least three different head types in existence on the Sheraton. I only have the style shown.

Alan, I think I've never seen the 3rd version. I've seen Sheratons like yours, and like the Senator, without the rivet holes.

Could you find a picture, or just explain the difference? Thanks in advance.

Hello Edgar, Good Afternoon my friend. As far as I remember there are two different head styles like mine, one resembles the 1934 Aristocrat, and the other resembles the 1936-1939 Aristocrat. Also there is one like the Senator as you said. I think there was some thought that there were two styles like the Senator as well, but I'm not sure.

Hello Edgar, Good Afternoon my friend. As far as I remember there are two different head styles like mine, one resembles the 1934 Aristocrat, and the other resembles the 1936-1939 Aristocrat. Also there is one like the Senator as you said. I think there was some thought that there were two styles like the Senator as well, but I'm not sure.

Thanks! :thumbup1:

To revive this thread since there is a lot of good information in it on these razors.

Here are some pictures of some other variations. First picture shows the 3rd head style without the rivets and higher head profile like the Senator on the US open comb Aristocrats. Second picture is a Sheraton without the rivets.

aristocrat1.JPG sheraton no rivots1.jpg

One other difference between the riveted (both head profiles) and non riveted US open comb Aristocrats is the writing on the rings.

On the riveted versions the top ring reads
PAT. NO. 1956175
REISSUE PAT. NO. 18955

and the bottom ring reads
PAT. NOS. 1912461 1918227
1919794 1922072 1928364

On the non riveted version the rings are reversed with the top ring reading
PAT. NOS. 1912461 1918227
1919794 1922072 1928364

and the bottom ring reads
PAT. NO. 1956175
REISSUE PAT. NO. 18955

The latest date for the patents being issued was 1934.

I have a 1936 Gillette Aristocrat and I have a 1937 Gillette Sheraton.

The heads appear to be 100% identical. The handles appear to be the same length, about 3 inches. The handle on the Sheraton is 3/8 of an inch thick, measuring the knob. The handle of the Aristocrat is 1/2 of an inch thick, measuring the knob. The knobs are slightly thicker than the barrels of the handles, by 1/16 of an inch.

What is interesting the Aristocrat shaves somewhat more aggressively and harshly than the Sheraton, which I attribute to the increased mass of the handle. The size and weight of a razor's handle often is overlooked in judging aggressiveness and the effectiveness of a razor.

One more piece of information that pretty much locks down the introduction of the open comb TTO Aristocrat to 1934 and surprisingly found on the Senator shipper is the following.
gillette senator patents.jpg

There is one patent number that applies to all the variations of the Aristocrat and that is patent number 2009272 which wasn't issued until 1935 even though they applied for it in 1934. It is also not on the handles of the Aristocrats while pat number 1956175 does show up on the handles and was issued in 1934.

US1956175A - Safety razor - Google Patents
US2009272A - Safety razor - Google Patents

We know for sure at a minimum that earliest possible date would have been sometime right at or after 4/24/1934 though more likely waiting until they filed Patent No. 2009272 on 12/3/1934 then marketing them as a whole new type of razor to maximize sales around Christmas which is when the average would have spent extra money on an item like this razor.

I find that my 1936 Aristocrat shaves very smoothly. I’ve used the Senator as well. I find the Aristocrat with it’s thicker handle in my hand works exceptionally well,

As far as the razors in this thread I've shaved with the Senator was the best overall performer. The 34 - 35 Aristocrat the smoothest shaver, the riveted Sheraton the most aggressive and 38 - 39 non riveted Aristocrat a similar shave feel wise to the Senator but not quite as close a shave as the Senator.

One more piece of information on how to tell the difference between a Sheraton and Senator.

The Senator has the proprietary security screw in the handle like the later model Super Speeds did while the Sheraton doesn't. The non riveted version may have had the proprietary screw in the handle but I don't own one right now to check.
senandsher.jpg

Here are the 3 common head styles seen on the 34 - 39 US Gillette TTO open comb razors.
G3.jpg
left is a 34/35 Aristocrat
middle is 37/38 Sheraton
right is 38/39 Senator

next here is a side by side of all 3 head styles on the Aristocrat
aristo3.jpg

Top Bottom