What's new

Gem Clog-Pruf

I just picked this razor up at a flea market and an old blade was left in it so it has a little bit of rust in the corner. What's the best way to try and clean it up? The usual soak in warm water and dish soap and a cleaning w/ a tooth brush. This is my first SE and don't know what to expect? Any opinions? I picked this up along w/ the old spice mug for $5.

$image.jpg$image.jpg

Congratulations on a great deal.

yes you can clean it like any other razor.

I give mine a couple of long soaks in hot tap water and dish detergent.
Then a quick Scrubbing Bubbles and going over with a toothbrush.

Then a couple of final dish soap and hot water soaks.

You can get PFTE and Blue Star blades from Connaught or other retailers.

i looked up some SE videos the first time.

The SE razors give an amazing shave.

Thank you for the reply and suggestions. I will definitely look up some videos. I appreciate the help!

I like to boil them in distilled water and if it's really mucky I'll add some white vinegar.

Cleans off any soap scum and gets most if not all the corrosion off, also sanitizes them pretty good.

Then I'll rinse them and clean with brushes and Q-Tips using soap and hot water then finally a good once over with alcohol.

Last edited:
Great find, the Clog Pruf is awesome!

A few tips for your first SE shave, not because I feel that I'm an expert, but because I wish someone would have told me!

#1. After closing the hood of your SE razor make sure your blade is resting firmly on the blade stops/rests. It is easy to not get this right and the results are not good.

#2. To get the correct angle, start with the hood of the razor flat against your face and drop your handle slightly. Once you start to make your first pass listen to the SE blade cutting (which will be loud). This will give you excellent feedback and will assist you in finding the correct angle.

#3. Prepare to rub your BBS face for the rest of the day...while contemplating buying more SE razors

Enjoy your first SE!

Happy Trails & Smooth Shaves,

jc

Yminoh,

In the UK, we have a product called 'CIF Bathroom' cleaner - I spray this on the razor, and leave for ca. ten (10) minutes, then scrub with an old tooth-brush. Repeat as needed and rinse & dry. The CIF really shifts dried soap and water scum :001_smile

I do this with all my safety razors, and they are still pristine.

This week, I am shaving with my Clog-Pruf (paired with GEM PTFE coated stainless blades) : the Clog-Pruf (for me), give a super shave.

Have fun :)

Best regards

Russ

That's a good SE to start with as it is sort of middle-of-the-road in aggression. The mug looks to be in really nice shape, so congrats on your find!

The Cloug Pruf is my choice when I SE shave, the other 3 are stored away for my 6 y/o son... along with 3 Injectors, and 2 DE razors.

Top Bottom