What's new

Android Tobacco Cellar Database

Hello fellow BL companions... Ever want a convenient way to keep records your tobacco stash? Do you have an android based smartphone or tablet? I hope the little bit of work I put into the following pays off for you.

Go to the app store and install the "Memento" database app.

Once installed, open the app and hit the "+" button to add a new Library.

On the "Select template from" screen, choose the "From online catalog " option.

On the next screen there should be a Category dropdown, select "Home and Hobbies"

From the listing screen, try sorting by date. I recently added a template here called "My Pipe Weed". When you find it, select it. It will use the structure and master data to create a local database on your device.

It is similar to another template in the same category called My Tobacco Cellar, but I made some modifications by adding pre-made lists for Brand and Blend (specific to the Brand selected).

Not all combinations of brands/blends from all of recorded history are there so I made some decisions about what to include. My intent was to cover most of the currently commercially available options. So as of the beginning of 2015 I have loaded most everything from a tobaccoreviews.com search for "currently produced" and "has more than 10 reviews".

Anyway, thought I'd share it here, let everyone kick the tires and see what your thoughts are. I may be open to a few changes if people are interested but not looking for a second job... [emoji1]

Discuss. !?

I can't speak for others, but regarding myself:

I've got plenty of Androids but I am not particularly attracted to using a phone for this purpose. This is something I do on a computer with a big screen and a full sized keyboard. Maybe if I only bought tins and could use the camera to scan barcodes or match labels it could be convenient for getting started, but I almost exclusively buy bulk and I already have my list in a spreadsheet (and I doubt scanning functions like that are in there anyway).

Crickets? Everyone on windows or apple phones, or something else?

I'm alpha testing ThePipeTool.com, so having to enter everything twice isn't the most pleasant thought. :lol:

That said, it's cool that you did this for those who don't have TPT, or prefer phones to computers.

I'm alpha testing ThePipeTool.com, so having to enter everything twice isn't the most pleasant thought. [emoji38]
Yes, actually the only reason explored this option was that I tried to get in on
ThePipeTool.com tester community and have not heard back. If the pipe tool let's you export to a csv file, you can import it to this tool. I'm sure you have a deep desire to test both, right? [emoji12]

That said, it's cool that you did this for those who don't have TPT, or prefer phones to computers.
This was another consideration for me. Don't always have my computer with me or at my cellar, always have the phone though.

Thanks for your input. You too Cap.

Same iphone 6 here too - i'd love to try it. My cellar is so full now that I need a database just to keep record of what I have and don't have.

With my short term memory, I enjoy the surprise factor of not logging my cellar. It's like Christmas several times a year!

With my short term memory, I enjoy the surprise factor of not logging my cellar. It's like Christmas several times a year!

My list is long enough that it's still a chore to find something in my online cellar. While compiling it, however, I was reminded about how much tobacco I actually have. I haven't gotten through everything and I'm already over 10 lbs... and I keep buying stuff.

Just getting back into this, after many years of sparse smoking here and there, I will give it a shot. I have my first stuff on the way. I actually prefer to have access to this kind of stuff on my phone, because my phone is always with me.

Top Bottom