What's new

Almost Yearly Daylight Saving Time Rant

Wait a minute ... does DST start on another date in the USA than in Europe?
Yes.

DST hits on Sundays which eases things for a lot of people, but I usually work on Sundays, so I really hate the transition. I go to work and anx over whether or not I'm on time.

Still three weeks to go on this side of the pond.

Wait a minute ... does DST start on another date in the USA than in Europe?
Yes. We used to be about a week apart from Britain, but the US changed to be a few weeks earlier sometime in the early 2000s.
It's one of the few good things that came out of government at that time for me :)

Yes, they do.

This is true here as well. At least in the suburban/rural areas. Most kids do ride to school but right here in our city of 100,000 I see kids walking to school every day. Monday they will be doing this at best at twilight. And when my daughters were little they rode a rural route school bus and with this jumping forward in March they were getting on the school bus in pitch black. At least for a month or so til the daylight hours were long enough to allow for at least twilight when they got on the bus. They were the first ones on the bus in the morning at around 6:30-6:40AM. So magically in March it was dark til 7:30AM and they were riding around in a dark bus. Just a bit of a grump about it. I know most favour DST in some form or another. I just truly wish they would push it back to the end of April like they used to.

I am am early riser and a go to better. I hate the time change. It actually is really difficult for me to adjust.

I am am early riser and a go to better. I hate the time change. It actually is really difficult for me to adjust.

I currently work in the UK three days per week, and in Holland two days per week. Adjusting each costs me some effort as well, especially in the evenings.

Here in Oregon, there is a bill in the legislature to abolish it, but they say it wouldn't take effect until 2021, someone needs to explain to me why this would take 6 years to implement, crappy laws seem to fall into place overnight!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Lets not kid ourselves. Kids don't walk to school anymore. Al least it seems that way with those huge lines I see outside of schools every day.

It just seems that way. I can assure you that plenty do- especially that one annoying one who liked to cut across my yard, until I talked to his parents.

It just seems that way. I can assure you that plenty do- especially that one annoying one who liked to cut across my yard, until I talked to his parents.

LOL!!

proxy.php

I prefer the time change. Living on the western side of Lake Michigan in the eastern part of the central time zone means that without Daylight Saving time, the sun would rise earlier and earlier until it comes up at around 4:10 A.M. during the first week of June. In states even farther north and in the eastern edge of their respective time zones, the sun would rise even earlier. In Presque Isle, Maine, the sun would rise at 3:40 A.M. Even in New York City, the sun would rise before 4:30 A.M. without DST.

I like having that extra hour of daylight in the evening.

I don't care what time it gets light in the morning or gets dark at night, but I hate DST. It takes weeks for my body to adjust my sleep pattern to get back in sync with the clock. Stupidest thing ever.

Not only are Standard and Daylight Times an outmoded idea, I'd also like to see time ZONES done away with. It's the 21st century, and an interconnected planet.

Everyone should just use Universal Coordinated Time, all the time.

Top Bottom